Reply
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    on probation weiss1967's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada
    Posts: 1,921
    Rep Power: 8499
    weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    weiss1967 is offline

    "...the place is called gymnasium..."

    reading Lucian's Anacharsis. You can find it here http://lucianofsamosata.info/Anacharsis.html. Wanted not to start a debate, but share the great reading.


    ************************
    4
    An. Wherever you look, every one busy - rising on his toes, jumping up and kicking the air, or something.

    5
    Now I want to know what is the good of it all. To me it looks more like madness than anything else. It will not be very easy to convince me that people who behave like this are not wrong in their heads.
    ...
    7
    But would you mind giving a name to all this? What are we to say they are doing?

    So. The place is called a gymnasium...

    36
    ...(So) It is the thought of having to strip before such a crowd that makes them take pains with their condition; they do not want to be a shameful spectacle, so each does his best to deserve success. And the prizes, as I said before, are not small things — to be applauded by the spectators, to be the mark of all eyes and fingers as the best of one’s contemporaries. Accordingly, numbers of spectators, not too old for training, depart with a passion thus engendered for toil some excellence. Ah, Anacharsis, if the love of fair fame were to be wiped out of our lives, whatgood would remain? Who would care to do a glorious deed?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 9,596
    Rep Power: 84224
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    reading Lucian's Anacharsis. You can find it here http://lucianofsamosata.info/Anacharsis.html. Wanted not to start a debate, but share the great reading.


    ************************
    4
    An. Wherever you look, every one busy - rising on his toes, jumping up and kicking the air, or something.

    5
    Now I want to know what is the good of it all. To me it looks more like madness than anything else. It will not be very easy to convince me that people who behave like this are not wrong in their heads.
    ...
    7
    But would you mind giving a name to all this? What are we to say they are doing?

    So. The place is called a gymnasium...

    36
    ...(So) It is the thought of having to strip before such a crowd that makes them take pains with their condition; they do not want to be a shameful spectacle, so each does his best to deserve success. And the prizes, as I said before, are not small things — to be applauded by the spectators, to be the mark of all eyes and fingers as the best of one’s contemporaries. Accordingly, numbers of spectators, not too old for training, depart with a passion thus engendered for toil some excellence. Ah, Anacharsis, if the love of fair fame were to be wiped out of our lives, whatgood would remain? Who would care to do a glorious deed?
    I don't know if this exchange is history or legend, but there is wisdom there regardless.

    I recently began reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, and I'm thinking this kind of material should be much more widely read and discussed.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Banned Irvine405's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 39
    Rep Power: 0
    Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000) Irvine405 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Irvine405 is offline
    Ten bucks says LWW will expound on this subject ad nauseam ..


    p.s. ad nauseam kind of rhymes with gymnasium
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 5,061
    Rep Power: 32122
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Originally Posted by Irvine405 View Post
    Ten bucks says LWW will expound on this subject ad nauseam ..


    p.s. ad nauseam kind of rhymes with gymnasium
    Lucian was a homo and communist.. FACT!
    If he'd done high rep squats he'd never have hung out in gymnasia (and I know what that word means, filthy behaviour!)

    There you go, saved you guys the wait

    Come on LWW, you biting the bait?
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User andy0w's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,056
    Rep Power: 0
    andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) andy0w is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    andy0w is offline
    In Germany the high school is called gymnasium.
    Cycling, walking, swimming.
    No car.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Getting Toned steffo99's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Sweden
    Age: 45
    Posts: 7,210
    Rep Power: 208945
    steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    steffo99 is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

    I recently began reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, and I'm thinking this kind of material should be much more widely read and discussed.
    After using space documentaries, I switched to audiobooks on youtube like this one and other similar stoics to comfortably listen and then fall asleep to Got this book and others like it last year but never seem to get around to reading them.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts