CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) CJJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Setting up your sets/reps for overload/failure and strength loss%?

Just curious on how people may do it differently especially for failure and beyond/partials etc.

How do you do it with reasoning.

For example if im doing chest press and my sets look like

200x 8
    210x 8
    220x 8
    230x 8

next week ill switch to

210x 8
    220x 8
    230x 8
    240x 8

until I hit failure on my last set prior to 8 so say 240x 6 or 7.

If im having an "off" day or im sick/hurt w.e and I fail on say 2nd or 3rd set I usually cut the weight down by about 75% and finish the sets until I cant complete a strict rep.

Ive heard a few people talking about failure as strength loss % and things of the like its a concept im not particularly familiar with so im wondering what others are doing and why. Really interested in how people might overload differently or more efficiently etc. Always trying to find a way to optimize.
    Go hard or go home

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
    Just curious on how people may do it differently especially for failure and beyond/partials etc.

How do you do it with reasoning.

For example if im doing chest press and my sets look like

200x 8
    210x 8
    220x 8
    230x 8

next week ill switch to

210x 8
    220x 8
    230x 8
    240x 8

until I hit failure on my last set prior to 8 so say 240x 6 or 7.

If im having an "off" day or im sick/hurt w.e and I fail on say 2nd or 3rd set I usually cut the weight down by about 75% and finish the sets until I cant complete a strict rep.

Ive heard a few people talking about failure as strength loss % and things of the like its a concept im not particularly familiar with so im wondering what others are doing and why. Really interested in how people might overload differently or more efficiently etc. Always trying to find a way to optimize.
    I don't know why nobody took a shot at this so I guess I will and in so doing I know I'm whacking a hornets nest with a baseball bat. First off I NEVER use machines. Secondly I don't train to failure, I train to succeed. I do test to failure but I don't do that every workout. O.K., now that that's out of the way what follows was written a long time ago by Dorian Yates. We tested it out and it's close enough for government work. So if it doesn't work for you holler at Mr. Yates! You lose 2 reps from set 1 to set 2. You lose one more rep for each set after that. That only works for sets across. Same reps, same weight for multiple sets. You get the most bang for your training buck with 3 work sets. You do make gains up to 5 work sets but it's a diminishing return. You're working your butt off for little gain. When you can do 2 extra reps on the final work set it's time to increase the weight. That's the testing part of it I mentioned earlier. What you are doing by pyramiding the weight is a peaking set up. Normally that would be used in the 1 to 5 rep range to peak strength. Normally a body building pyramid would pyramid the weight and the reps each set. I have no idea how to calculate the rep loss from set to set with that type of set up.