Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DerkBezerk View Post
    That's awesome, thanks!

As we're focusing on technique - Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate picking exercises which helped you break through a plateau?

I've realised over the years that I've developed a half arsed version of economy picking when moving through the strings which I believe is holding me back in developing speed and accuracy. I want to hone in on alt picking.

I could of course just play scale runs to a metronome but wondered if anyone can suggest anything a little more enjoyable that helped?
    Alternate picking really has no one way of being taught. It will come down to the pick you use, your hands. Some of the general consensus is you want some sort of angle to cross string more easily. Some people tilt their pick up, some down - I do it down. The other is don't elbow picking, pick from your wrists and your forearm simple plays the role of moving your vibrate wrist up and down.

Honestly, you can do all the exercises but to go from that Malmsteen speed to Rusty Cooley speed you're going to have to master that small wrist vibration movement. You'll actually end up picking faster than you can fret notes if you do it correctly - so this means you will double up on notes but to me a cool effect.

If you can be bothered you can go through my post history in this thread and find my sound clips I uploaded. I think one called "Alternate idea" is one where I am using legato, legato+picking then do a full alternate pick on a whole tone scale at the end - all while using 2/3/4 note per string combos. That sort of speed you have to master that wrist picking technique.

You can actually pick too fast and the notes start sounding muddy - like the guy who has the record for the fastest bumble bee playing. It begins to sound like sh*t, and you have to play chromatically to get up to that speed. I mean there's no way you could play 2 notes per string at the same speed.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EoR View Post

Honestly, you can do all the exercises but to go from that Malmsteen speed to Rusty Cooley speed you're going to have to master that small wrist vibration movement. You'll actually end up picking faster than you can fret notes if you do it correctly - so this means you will double up on notes but to me a cool effect.
    nate pick on a whole tone scale at the end - all while using 2/3/4 note per string combos. That sort of speed you have to master that wrist picking technique.
    Rusty Cooley goes into super sloppy elbow picking mode when he goes “hyper speed”. It’s inaccurate and sounds like complete sh*t when he does so.
    Rusty Cooley only sounds decent at medium fast speeds when he doesn’t do that locked elbow thing.

Malmsteen has a much more fluid forearm rotation thing. Although sometimes he picks from the elbow as well as the wrist and forearm.

It’s interesting how some players can elbow pick very fluidly aka Vinnie Moore whereas others just sound uncontrolled and mushy.

MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Does anyone have a good tutorial for pinch harmonics/squeals? I need to sit down and learn this technique once and for all. I can only rarely get them but they sound so damn good when you do.
    Smooth Seas don't make Strong Sailors. Keep your head up.

Blowing out someone else's candle wont make yours glow any brighter (no homo).

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrBourbon View Post
    Does anyone have a good tutorial for pinch harmonics/squeals? I need to sit down and learn this technique once and for all. I can only rarely get them but they sound so damn good when you do.
    There's a sweet spot depending on which kind of guitar you're using. Practice picking a note and then ever so slightly catching it with the flesh of your thumb. I can get them pretty consistently, it just takes repetition.

Also hammered out a new cover video, really like this track.

Last edited by CherryPopinski; 06-24-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CherryPopinski View Post
    There's a sweet spot depending on which kind of guitar you're using. Practice picking a note and then ever so slightly catching it with the flesh of your thumb. I can get them pretty consistently, it just takes repetition.

Also hammered out a new cover video, really like this track.
    Great playing and tone...That SG is fuking beautiful as well..

lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lightsarefallin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Genuinely was unaware of this thread. I've been playing guitar (and a dozen other instruments) and composing music for half my life. Definitely in!
    *Look at reflection in car window and flex every time crew*
    *Use half the roll to wipe after a poo crew*
    *Fart in the gym and blame rotten smell on faulty ventilation crew*
    *Fart at home and blame it on the dog crew*
    *Take smelly poop then turn up heat, close windows, close door, and leave it for the next unlucky person crew*
    *Drive 2 minutes in the summer and back of shirt gets completely wet crew*
    *Ass eaters anonymous crew*

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CherryPopinski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
    Great playing and tone...That SG is fuking beautiful as well..
    Thanks I recently bought this SG I have a bad habit of wanting SG guitars but I’ve been selling a few of my others cause I never play them. So I reinvested the money into this one. This is pretty rare model if I recall correctly these SG faded models were only made for 2002-2003

It has an Ebony fretboard which I really wanted. There’s some minor wear as you’d expect for a guitar nearly 20 years old

It does need some work though, I mentioned the pickups awhile ago ITT also I think new electronics might help the volume pots hardly do chit.

Also the bridge saddles were never slotted properly so I’m thinking of getting a tone pros bridge pre-slotted from StewMac but it’s damn expensive like $70. Im waiting till a Flying V of mine sells on reverb.
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I'm working on my sucky pinch harmonics too - I found this video useful

SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One of my favorites from Andy Timmons Resolution album: "Beware Dark Days" (seems appropriate? )

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Great to see him dust off the AT300.

He's at the apex for me and like several of my favorite players rolled into one. Tone, note selection, and phrasing right out of the top drawer. Also one of the nicest people in the business.

DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DerkBezerk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Great to see him dust off the AT300.

He's at the apex for me and like several of my favorite players rolled into one. Tone, note selection, and phrasing right out of the top drawer. Also one of the nicest people in the business.
    I remember the first time I heard Electric Gypsie and then Cry For You. It opened my eyes to the importance of note selection and phrasing. He can shred with the best of 'em but it's his focus on musicality and cadence which I find most impressive.

SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SekkendSyklye is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I remember learning to Zakk Wylde back in the day for pinches:

(check the related videos on YT)

cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    High output pickups definitely help. On my les Paul with burstbuckers, it’s more of a struggle than on my Ibanez with bk war pigs. I just have to catch a bit of thumb and the squeal just appears
    Always Pick Two Crew
    Eat it Like Groceries Crew
    Always Be Closing Crew
    member of <HTC>

lift heavy, drink bourbon, f**k often

Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ladiessman217 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Random question for the guitar guys here.

I used to play a bit as a kid but I lost every skill.
    I could play tears in heaven a bit back then.

How difficult would it be for me to relearn that song here.

I may need to pull something like this on a bonfire date but it's gotta be perfect.

https://youtu.be/XfGZncwiIT4

Edit.
    This one would be good too.

End level of course is something like Zeppelin Since I've been loving you or Babe I'm gonna Leave you but those are not realistic to learn at this point.
    Last edited by Ladiessman217; 06-28-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Originally Posted by Ladiessman217 View Post
    Random question for the guitar guys here.

I used to play a bit as a kid but I lost every skill.
    I could play tears in heaven a bit back then.

How difficult would it be for me to relearn that song here.

I may need to pull something like this on a bonfire date but it's gotta be perfect.

Edit.
    This one would be good too.

End level of course is something like Zeppelin Since I've been loving you or Babe I'm gonna Leave you but those are not realistic to learn at this point.
    Tears in Heaven isn't too difficult provided you can move between the chord shapes and lock in to the rhythm with the fingerpicking.

The song you linked I've never heard before, but again it sounds quite straightforward from a quick listen. The arpeggios through the verse may give you some challenge if you haven't played in a while.

The only way you're gonna find out is to get back on the horse brother. Get some tabs and start playing.

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Anyone else sick of Guthrie fanboys?

It's almost like a coma they are all the same. Great versatile player, considerably over-hyped. I'd rather be the master of one style and have a large catalogue of quality compositions than be a glorified studio guitarist. Not hating, but nothing he does hasn't been done before, each style there are better guitarists, there are faster guitarists and he isn't immune in being predictable like many improvisers.

It just seems maybe new guitarists need to have that one player on a pedestal as "Number #1" when there pretty much is no such thing at the moment with so many quality players of all ages.

What made me laugh was his jam @ John Petrucci's convention jam. Like these idiots don't realize JP has been in a band that are the kings of a whole genre and have written a top 3 progressive album of all time.

What they fail to realize is we have thousands of guitarists these days that are incredible but none of them will be remembered when they die. What etches your name are your compositions alongside your abilities. Every generation is going to have a handful of incredibly skilled and versatile guitarists, that will never be in short supply.
    Last edited by EoR; 06-29-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

It's almost like a coma they are all the same. Great versatile player, considerably over-hyped. I'd rather be the master of one style and have a large catalogue of quality compositions than be a glorified studio guitarist. Not hating, but nothing he does hasn't been done before, each style there are better guitarists, there are faster guitarists and he isn't immune in being predictable like many improvisers.

It just seems maybe new guitarists need to have that one player on a pedestal as "Number #1" when there pretty much is no such thing at the moment with so many quality players of all ages.

What made me laugh was his jam @ John Petrucci's convention jam. Like these idiots don't realize JP has been in a band that are the kings of a whole genre and have written a top 3 progressive album of all time.

What they fail to realize is we have thousands of guitarists these days that are incredible but none of them will be remembered when they die. What etches your name are your compositions alongside your abilities. Every generation is going to have a handful of incredibly skilled and versatile guitarists, that will never be in short supply.
    You are angry that people enjoy other people's work?
    Do you know about The aristocrats? His work with Asia?

I get goose bumps when I remember how it was seeing this live:

Or his solo ( 2:50 ) on Jason Becker's last album, if this is not emotional and played from the heart I don't know what is:

Last edited by brosapiens; 06-30-2020 at 02:38 AM.
    Golden hands
    Illuminated miscers: eod8989, ScottTil
    Agents of chaos, disorder and hate: TheScapeGOAT, jeffl1980

SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwimToTheMoon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I don't know man, Guthrie made them look like fools in this video.. Also he may not have the extensive catalogue that JP has but I find Guthrie's original songs amazing with the perfect mix of technicality and creativity..

brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosapiens is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
    I don't know man, Guthrie made them look like fools in this video.. Also he may not have the extensive catalogue that JP has but I find Guthrie's original songs amazing with the perfect mix of technicality and creativity..

Things I noticed in this video regarding Guthrie:

- He always plays the changes and somehow even during hist fast impros he seems to successfully play the chord tones
    - The way he interacts with Mike during the drums break and Mike feels it, that's musicianship
    - How Guthrie seems to extrapolate on what the guy next to him played previously. Forgot his name but he's a professor at Berkeley. The professor sees that.
    - How Andy James and Tosin start laughing at the fast part, that's respect and musicianship
    - How Guthrie is lost in music and feels it through his whole body. I know this feeling and can see it in others. That's passion and love coming out through the guitar. Special

Amazing musician
    Golden hands

cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cjmadscientist has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

as I age, it really becomes apparent that melody is what makes a song/lead interesting....playing fast is fun, but it gets fatiguing to listen to very quick when there's nothing else going on

Guthrie has that "thing" where his melodies are noticeable in the middle of mind blowing technique

guy is from another planet

I don't get annoyed with "fan boys" who latch on to the things that blow their minds as it's happened to me (my Queensryche phase lasted a while), it's up to us as an ever dwindling community (guitar based music) to encourage each other to keep growing and evolving. If we don't do that, this will all be over in a few decades.
    Always Pick Two Crew
    Always Be Closing Crew
    member of <HTC>

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    40 plus years of jamming several hours a day to his favorite albums. Got to give the man his due. There's a reason they chugged away for a while after that solo... no one wanted to follow it.

He's amazing but not everything he touches turns to gold. I realize this was a lesson but it sounded lifeless and clinical to me compared to the original.

40 plus years of jamming several hours a day to his favorite albums. Got to give the man his due. There's a reason they chugged away for a while after that solo... no one wanted to follow it.

He's amazing but not everything he touches turns to gold. I realize this was a lesson but it sounded lifeless and clinical to me compared to the original.

he hit all the notes, but missed every bit of individuality Vai has in his phrasing

I can't hate though, from Passion and Warfare all the way through till Fire Garden, Vai was locked the f**k in and what makes his playing so ridiculous is the little things in the middle of all the chaos (timing, vibrato, etc)
    Always Pick Two Crew
    Always Be Closing Crew
    member of <HTC>

It sounds that way because AFAIK it's multiple segments put together to create the whole song.
    Golden hands

Originally Posted by brosapiens View Post
    It sounds that way because AFAIK it's multiple segments put together to create the whole song.
    This.. Pause video at :05 seconds and read lol...

Even as multiple separated segments it sounds really good

rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rollerball has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    C'mon now, Guthrie destroys Vai.

I wasn't referring to how the song flows despite the clever edit job. I was talking about how he plays Vai's phrases and his tone makes it even worse. Playing it in sections would make it easier for him but I really don't think he was feeling it there. I've seen him play a lot of other stuff in that lesson series that was amazing but that wasn't at his usual high standard for me.

Probably most people here know about him but for those unaware let me aware you of another great guitarist. He's an Italian fusion/metal player. Here's the solo playthrough of a song from the album he wrote with James LaBrie from DT.

Vibrato, melodies, rhythm, technique .. pristine.

Golden hands

Probably most people here know about him but for those unaware let me aware you of another great guitarist. He's an Italian fusion/metal player. Here's the solo playthrough of a song from the album he wrote with James LaBrie from DT.

Vibrato, melodies, rhythm, technique .. pristine.

definitely dig his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QIuG8rQzy8&t=0s
    Always Pick Two Crew
    Always Be Closing Crew
    member of <HTC>

gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtrzrus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’ve been lurking in this thread for years, but never posted.

I own a boutique guitar side business. I’ve been playing for 36 years and was in a few bands back in the day. I thought guitar for a few years as well. Now, I’m just a bedroom player like most.

I’ve been building guitars professionally since 2014. If anyone needs any help with equipment let me know.

Two Notes CAB M recently got a firmware update adding a 74' Fender Bassman preamp. Makes it a good choice as a pedal platform like a Strymon Iridium.

Previously you had to use it with a preamp. I think you could build a nice little pedalboard rig for around $600 using say a Bogner La Grange for Marshall tones and a Boss DD-3T or DD-8 for delay. CAB M handles the power amp and cab simulation. Run it into some decent monitors.