Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey, if you needed to cast someone to play Dracula, if he could do the accent.. he'd absolutely own the role.

I don't understand the logic. I agree with current restrictions to slow the spread to help manage the situation. But it's so contagious a large proportion of the population is going to be exposed at some point anyway, probably before end of summer.

Once a certain proportion of a population is exposed (that % depends in part how contagious something is) then the restrictions can be eased and the initial approach of test and trace contacts isolate individuals can be used. (*Assuming* the virus doesn't mutate like common cold and that immunity is "remembered" by the body long term)

Just because things won't return exactly to old-normal doesn't mean they could or should stay this restrictive indefinitely.

Another case of a media figure revelling in bad news? If he wanted to report on something informative, why can't he do a feature on how hard people are working to produce and distribute oxygen, never before has this quantity of oxygen been needed. Or at least something that tells us something new.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    (*Assuming* the virus doesn't mutate like common cold and that immunity is "remembered" by the body long term)
    The common cold is caused by any of several hundred different viruses which is why you can keep getting it. You can become immune but you'd have to get infected by all of them, theoretically. And we don't know how many there are.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    The common cold is caused by any of several hundred different viruses which is why you can keep getting it. You can become immune but you'd have to get infected by all of them, theoretically. And we don't know how many there are.
    Yup. And viruses mutate all the time. They are hijacking a human cell’s “machinery” for transcription of their genetic material and replication. There are a lot of errors in the transcription, might not change anything, could make it more or less lethal etc. Thats how all things work. Even for bacterial (instead of viral) pathogens, a transcription error causes a mutation that for example makes the prodigy resistant to an antibiotic. Then someone taking an antibiotic for that infection kills all the bacteria that do not have that mutation, effectively selecting for the antibiotic resistant strain, leading to antimicrobial resistance. Usually when a virus mutates the body can still recognize it well enough to have some enhanced effect, but occasionally the changes are significant enough that the immune system doesn’t recognize it and a new epidemic or pandemic is born. This strain is zoonotic and different enough from other Coronavirus strains that have routinely caused upper respiratory infections in people, so there’s no herd immunity. Kind of spooky that it infected Tigers at the Bronx zoo, things usually don’t just jump species to species that easily....Maybe this one was originally from a Civet instead of bat who knows.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    Personally, I'm enjoying the discussion. We just need to tone down the personal attacks; it doesn't help get your point across.
    Originally Posted by Desparado View Post
    I'm enjoying the discussion as well. I've learned so much just from AC's and Farleys salvos! Serious. I can definitely see and understand BOTH positions. Carry on gentlemen.
    Ditto

Thanks to acrawlingchaos, Farley1324, Plateauplower, Jtbny, blue9steel and the other great contributors (too many to mention, you know who you are)I have found this thread to be enlightening and entertaining. Thanks for the eye opener folks.

Stay safe, wash yer paws
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Like any prescription drug(s), there are risks and any prescription drug may work for some and may not work for others.

More successful stories and evidence that Hydroxychloroquine or Hydroxychloroquine combined with Azithromycin (when appropriate) is savings lives.

For those who want to wait 18 months for clinical testing, you have every right to wait if you contract the virus.

Credit to 5X10 for his contribution below.

Detroit Dem Says Trump's Touting of Hydroxychloroquine Helped Save Her Life

A Democratic state representative from Detroit has recovered from coronavirus and she says it was the combination of the drug hydroxychloroquine and President Trump that saved her life.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett's husband is an engineer at Detroit Metropolitan Airport and the two believe they were exposed to COVID-19 through his job.

Whitsett said she started experiencing shortness of breath, sinus issues, and swollen lymph nodes and tested positive for the virus on Monday.

Her doctor prescribed hydroxychloroquine, a drug used to prevent and treat malaria and also used to treat lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and medical conditions.

Trump has touted the use of hydroxychloroquine during his daily coronavirus briefings despite push back from health experts who warn that the drug could potentially be dangerous and its effectiveness against COVID-19 hasn't been proven.

"It has a lot to do with the president ... bringing it up," Whitsett said in an interview with the Detroit Free Press. "He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority......."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/det...-save-her-life

Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
    Here’s Karen Whitsett's on video talking about her experience

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...367263746?s=21

Coronavirus Patient Says Hydroxychloroquine Saved His Life

Coronavirus patient Rio Giardinieri joined "The Ingraham Angle" and spoke about how he believes hydroxychloroquine changed his fight against the virus.

"I'm not a scientist. I'm not a doctor. But I know when I'm sitting here in pain and they've tried all kinds of antibiotics sorting through me and I continue to get worse. My breathing became worse. Speaking became difficult," Giardinieri said Monday night. "And a friend of mine from a prayer line reached out, a friend of 43 years and says, 'Hey, I saw this on Laura Ingraham's show. You need to take this medicine and you need to ask your doctor to give it to you now.'"

"My feeling at that particular time was I thought I was at the end of my rope and I didn't see any other options," Giardinieri said, asking his nurse and doctor about the experimental drug. "For me, it was a risk worth taking....."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/corona...saved-his-life

Thousands of Coronavirus-Infected New Yorkers Treated With Anti-Malarial Drug

As many as 4,000 seriously ill coronavirus patients in New York are being treated with the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine, state health officials say.

President Trump has touted hydroxychloroquine as a potential life-saver, although there is no widespread scientific evidence to date showing it helps battle COVID-19.

But Gov. Andrew Cuomo last month said health care providers in the state would be using the drug in combination with the antibiotic Zithromax, or azithromycin, for some last-ditch cases, based on potentially promising research.

“Time is of the essence,’’ Albany University Public Health Dean David Holtgrave, who is on the state’s research team, said in a statement.

A state Health Department official said the DOH has shipped doses of hydroxychloroquine to 56 hospitals across New York, distributing enough “to treat 4,000 patients to date......”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/thous...-malarial-drug

Malaria Drug and Antibiotic Combo May Work Against COVID-19, But Experts Warn Caution and Skepticism

https://www.biospace.com/article/hyd...-for-covid-19/

Now that Cuomo has allowed the drugs to be used in New York...

Thousands of NY COVID Patients are Being Treated With Anti-Malarial Drug

As many as 4,000 seriously ill coronavirus patients in New York are being treated with the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, state health officials say.

President Trump has touted hydroxychloroquine as a potential life-saver, although there is no widespread scientific evidence to date showing it helps battle COVID-19.

But Gov. Andrew Cuomo last month said health care providers in the state would be using the drug in combination with the antibiotic Zithromax, or azithromycin, for some last-ditch cases, based on potentially promising research.....

https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/ny-cor...-malarial-drug
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Yup. And viruses mutate all the time. They are hijacking a human cell’s “machinery” for transcription of their genetic material and replication. There are a lot of errors in the transcription, might not change anything, could make it more or less lethal etc. Thats how all things work. Even for bacterial (instead of viral) pathogens, a transcription error causes a mutation that for example makes the prodigy resistant to an antibiotic. Then someone taking an antibiotic for that infection kills all the bacteria that do not have that mutation, effectively selecting for the antibiotic resistant strain, leading to antimicrobial resistance. Usually when a virus mutates the body can still recognize it well enough to have some enhanced effect, but occasionally the changes are significant enough that the immune system doesn’t recognize it and a new epidemic or pandemic is born. This strain is zoonotic and different enough from other Coronavirus strains that have routinely caused upper respiratory infections in people, so there’s no herd immunity. Kind of spooky that it infected Tigers at the Bronx zoo, things usually don’t just jump species to species that easily....Maybe this one was originally from a Civet instead of bat who knows.
    Holy **** somebody who knows what they are talking about

What worries me about sars-cov-2 is that, like many other infamous diseases and seasonal influenza, it's a single-stranded rna virus so mutating is pretty much its forte

And the tiger news is disoncerting. I think it's mostly flying under the radar with most people whose only reaction is "why we wasting a test on a tiger durrrrr". To make no mention of the fact that veterinary labs don't test on humans, it's really important to know what non-human animals can carry the disease. And at this point...it's probably several at least. That's not good for a variety of reasons obviously

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice University Hospital “immediately stopped” its use of hydroxychloroquine in patients who exhibit “major risks” of suffering heart failure due to the drug.

When hydroxychloroquine is given on its own, the cardiac risk is very low,” explained Émile Ferrari, the chief of the hospital’s cardiology department. “On the other hand, the antibiotic (azithromycin) which is systematically prescribed in combination with hydroxychloroquine in the anti-Covid protocol also favors these anomalies. The cardiological risk is then potentiated.

Ferrari concluded that doctors should be careful and not view hydroxychloroquine as a miracle cure.

“It is true that Covid-19 kills, but the remedy should not be more harmful than the disease itself,” he said.

This was one of the 5 side effects mentioned in the discussion that I watched yesterday.
    I guess certain individuals respond differently to the drug combo.
    Just dont get infected and you are golden.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Nice University Hospital “immediately stopped” its use of hydroxychloroquine in patients who exhibit “major risks” of suffering heart failure due to the drug.

When hydroxychloroquine is given on its own, the cardiac risk is very low,” explained Émile Ferrari, the chief of the hospital’s cardiology department. “On the other hand, the antibiotic (azithromycin) which is systematically prescribed in combination with hydroxychloroquine in the anti-Covid protocol also favors these anomalies. The cardiological risk is then potentiated.

Ferrari concluded that doctors should be careful and not view hydroxychloroquine as a miracle cure.

“It is true that Covid-19 kills, but the remedy should not be more harmful than the disease itself,” he said.

This was one of the 5 side effects mentioned in the discussion that I watched yesterday. I guess certain individuals respond differently to the drug combo.

Just dont get infected and you are golden.
    Excellent information, Ben. So many factors for doctors to consider and no doubt these doctors learned from the experience. I have not seen anyone claim HCQ as a miracle drug. It is not. There is risk and why either HCQ or HCQ and azithromycin together must be supervised by a doctor.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Swedish hospitals abandon trial of promising malaria drug chloroquine for coronavirus patients after it caused them blinding headaches, vision loss and agonising cramps
    Doctors in Vastra Gotaland pulled plug on medication after adverse side effects
    Swedish patients reported suffering cramps, peripheral vision loss and migraine
    For one in 100 people, can cause arrhythmia, which can lead to fatal heart attack
    There are multiple versions of chloroquine - a synthetic form of quinine, which comes from cinchona trees.

Both chloroquine (CQ), branded as Aralen, and counterpart hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), known as Plaquenil, are well-established medicines.

It is unclear which drug the Swedish patients were given, but hydroxychloroquine is thought to be less toxic and causes fewer side effects.
    Carl Sydenhag, one of the Swedish coronavirus patients treated with the drug, was given two tablets a day after being diagnosed with the killer virus on March 23.

The 40-year-old told the Expressen newspaper he began suffering cramps, peripheral vision loss and a headache that felt like stepping into 'a high voltage plant' within days of taking the medication.

3 versions of the drug, well this could be pretty important for outcomes.
    We will have to wait for the studies here, anything to bend the death curve.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Excellent information, Ben. So many factors for doctors to consider and no doubt these doctors learned from the experience. I have not seen anyone claim HCQ as a miracle drug. It is not. There is risk and why either HCQ or HCQ and azithromycin together must be supervised by a doctor.
    I think the "miracle" label stems from the sudden daily push coming from Pennsylvania Avenue, and the world is listening.

Here is another doctor's opinion:

Dr. Stephen Smith on effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine: 'I think this is the beginning of the end of the pandemic'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-ste...f-the-pandemic

ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Neighbor takes hydroxychloroquine for reumatoied rheumatoid arthritis.

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Swedish hospitals abandon trial of promising malaria drug chloroquine for coronavirus patients after it caused them blinding headaches, vision loss and agonising cramps
    Doctors in Vastra Gotaland pulled plug on medication after adverse side effects
    Swedish patients reported suffering cramps, peripheral vision loss and migraine
    For one in 100 people, can cause arrhythmia, which can lead to fatal heart attack
    There are multiple versions of chloroquine - a synthetic form of quinine, which comes from cinchona trees.

Both chloroquine (CQ), branded as Aralen, and counterpart hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), known as Plaquenil, are well-established medicines.

It is unclear which drug the Swedish patients were given, but hydroxychloroquine is thought to be less toxic and causes fewer side effects.
    Carl Sydenhag, one of the Swedish coronavirus patients treated with the drug, was given two tablets a day after being diagnosed with the killer virus on March 23.

The 40-year-old told the Expressen newspaper he began suffering cramps, peripheral vision loss and a headache that felt like stepping into 'a high voltage plant' within days of taking the medication.

3 versions of the drug, well this could be pretty important for outcomes.
    We will have to wait for the studies here, anything to bend the death curve.
    Interesting that all of those complaints are not coming from the 4000+ patients on it in New York and thousands of other in other States. At least not yet. But, time will tell. The drugs are not for those who do not qualify with underlying risk factors.

Although, given the risk factors, I am sure these are legitimate. The issue I have it that these reports are complete opposite from hundreds of doctors prescribing HCQ in the USA.

The drugs will not save everyone. But, they have not killed anyone by responsible supervising doctors.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 04-08-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup. And viruses mutate all the time.
    I understand genetic drift, shift and something novel. I was merely talking about different viruses causing similar illnesses in the common cold.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImBunky has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Interesting that all of those complaints are not coming from the 4000+ patients on it in New York and thousands of other in other States. At least not yet. But, time will tell.

Although, given the risk factors, I am sure these are legitimate. The issue I have it that these reports are complete opposite from hundreds of doctors prescribing HCQ in the USA.
    Maybe a difference in drug used, chloroquine (CQ) or hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) Or, possibly dosage.

Originally Posted by ImBunky View Post
    Maybe a difference in drug used, chloroquine (CQ) or hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) Or, possibly dosage.
    Good observation.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Holy **** somebody who knows what they are talking about

What worries me about sars-cov-2 is that, like many other infamous diseases and seasonal influenza, it's a single-stranded rna virus so mutating is pretty much its forte

And the tiger news is disoncerting. I think it's mostly flying under the radar with most people whose only reaction is "why we wasting a test on a tiger durrrrr". To make no mention of the fact that veterinary labs don't test on humans, it's really important to know what non-human animals can carry the disease. And at this point...it's probably several at least. That's not good for a variety of reasons obviously
    I have degrees in environmental health and safety, and microbiology with masters level classes in pathogenic microbiology. A lot of my classes were epidemiology, control of disease (communicable and otherwise), etc etc. I wrote the West Nile Virus response program for a very large Public Health Department in 2001 as a private contractor and have worked in the safety and health field since then...I’m not just regurgitating what I’ve recently read on here. I’ve studied and practiced this kind of $hit for more than two decades. I’m burning through a stockpile of masks acquired in anticipation for the swine flu pandemic in 09(?) right now...I can’t get anymore N-95s, surgical masks, or non-contact thermometers so if anyone has 40k surgical masks, 25k N-95s, 200 instant read thermometers I have an immediate need and will give them a good home and for people that ensure we have safe water...lol.

On PPE, I heard yesterday that Italy had donated a bunch of masks to China early during their epidemic (pre-pandemic). Now Italy is about out of PPE and China essentially offered to sell them back what they had provided for free....
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 04-08-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I understand genetic drift, shift and something novel. I was merely talking about different viruses causing similar illnesses in the common cold.
    They can even change the disease based on where they go in the body too (usually bacteria, viruses are cell specific). Like common ear infection pathogen can cause a bone infection. Anthrax disease when inhaled is different than cutaneous anthrax or “wool sorters disease” etc. I wasn’t refuting what you were saying just expanding on it, for everyone’s err enjoyment :/

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

On PPE, I heard yesterday that Italy had donated a bunch of masks to China early during their epidemic (pre-pandemic). Now Italy is about out of PPE and China essentially offered to sell them back what they had provided for free....
    Yep. Cuz "we should be more like Europe, their uber governments and public healthcare works!!"
    Being Italian born and raised I follow their media daily and I could tear my hair out sometimes at the chit I see.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I don't understand the logic. I agree with current restrictions to slow the spread to help manage the situation. But it's so contagious a large proportion of the population is going to be exposed at some point anyway, probably before end of summer.

Once a certain proportion of a population is exposed (that % depends in part how contagious something is) then the restrictions can be eased and the initial approach of test and trace contacts isolate individuals can be used. (*Assuming* the virus doesn't mutate like common cold and that immunity is "remembered" by the body long term)

Just because things won't return exactly to old-normal doesn't mean they could or should stay this restrictive indefinitely.

That's what they truly want though, is control, the evidence is in several links I've posted. They get very insulted if YOU think YOU can go out for a run and avoid distancing.

The Dr. don't give two chits about anyone's freedom, he's a robot and freak.

Gov Al Pacino does not want normal, what we know, he WANTS NEW NORMAL. And this clown is most likely run for Pres. in the future. Obama is jealous as hell, he didn't get the 3rd world country he always wanted.

Sofar, Riptoe= only dude with a brain I've seen on this, and that guy from Norway.

Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    Yep. Cuz "we should be more like Europe, their uber governments and public healthcare works!!"
    Being Italian born and raised I follow their media daily and I could tear my hair out sometimes at the chit I see.
    Please don't touch your hair

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They can even change the disease based on where they go in the body too (usually bacteria, viruses are cell specific). Like common ear infection pathogen can cause a bone infection. Anthrax disease when inhaled is different than cutaneous anthrax or “wool sorters disease” etc. I wasn’t refuting what you were saying just expanding on it, for everyone’s err enjoyment :/
    Can we get PP on the president's team?
    Well meaning, elderly man with a poor memory...

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Holy **** somebody who knows what they are talking about...
    agreed, that's entirely unsuitable for misc. I've reported his post and a Mod should be along to ban him very soon.

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    ... Gov Al Pacino does not want normal...
    I'm sure even the greediest, most corrupt and exploitative politicians want this to go away. At the very least because it interferes with their ability to make money or extract tax dollar
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 04-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here's an analogy:

Growing-up, my parents said "we can't stop you from using drugs, your going to use them no matter what we do" " you are allowed to use drugs, but be warned, whatever trouble you get in, meaning jail, someone looking to kill you, etc., we are NOT there for you". YOU ARE OWN YOUR OWN!!!

Guess what, I was done with drugs before I was a senior in high school, the classes I failed prior, I ended up an A student. All my friends who's parents punished and sent to juvy all died or ended up in prison.

I had real freedom, a choice.

My fellow Americans, we have a serious illness upon us, it's very dangerous, I'm just WARNING you, if you think you can go out and live like everyday you may be wrong. We are working very hard on a cure, but it will take time.

I will not shut down the economy, but it if you need assistance the Gov is here to help. We are leaving this in YOUR hands, life is full of risks, we will provide you guidelines to keep you safer, thats what Gov is for, we are always here to help. I WARN you though if you ignore the guidelines you may put you and others at risk and the health system is at RISK of being overwelmed.

If you ignore my warnings, I will show you more proof, or you will see with your own eyes and realize these dangers.

I pray everyone does the right things, and we will get back to our lives.

I will keep the public informed daily of a cure.

God bless, and vote for me.

Originally Posted by Fishman15 View Post
    Can we get PP on the president's team?
    God help us if the people running the show at the Fed level don’t have a much better understanding of this stuff than me.... I just hope the president listens to the advice from those that understand these things. Both in terms of a measured effective response to the pandemic, as well as keeping the economy from going completely tits up and we end up living in a mad max society.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Here's an analogy:

Growing-up, my parents said "we can't stop you from using drugs, your going to use them no matter what we do" " you are allowed to use drugs, but be warned, whatever trouble you get in, meaning jail, someone looking to kill you, etc., we are NOT there for you". YOU ARE OWN YOUR OWN!!!

Guess what, I was done with drugs before I was a senior in high school, the classes I failed prior, I ended up an A student. All my friends who's parents punished and sent to juvy all died or ended up in prison.

I had real freedom, a choice.

My fellow Americans, we have a serious illness upon us, it's very dangerous, I'm just WARNING you, if you think you can go out and live like everyday you may be wrong. We are working very hard on a cure, but it will take time.

I will not shut down the economy, but it if you need assistance the Gov is here to help. We are leaving this in YOUR hands, life is full of risks, we will provide you guidelines to keep you safer, thats what Gov is for, we are always here to help. I WARN you though if you ignore the guidelines you may put you and others at risk and the health system is at RISK of being overwelmed.

If you ignore my warnings, I will show you more proof, or you will see with your own eyes and realize these dangers.

I pray everyone does the right things, and we will get back to our lives.

I will keep the public informed daily of a cure.

God bless, and vote for me.
    So your employer ignores everything and requires you to ____. Your CHOICE is to quit your job and not make your next rent payment, or work and get sick. You get sick. Good news! Your employer tele-works so they can call you while you are in the hospital and your kids are staying with your parents (who are now infected by the kids).

Sounds fair. You got my vote. I won't have to go in to work lol

Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    I’m not sure where I stand on that honestly. I’m really not educated enough in macroeconomics to have a valid position. What I “think” is that hospitals/pharmaceutical should not be publicly traded, making them have a legal/fiduciary duty to generate profit for shareholders, potentially at the expense of service (and lives). At the same time, I’ve worked in and with governmental agencies (in the US and abroad) long enough to know that you sure as fuk don’t want them in charge either; considering the nepotism, incompetence, and complete lack of accountability.

I have no clue of what could/would work best. I always feel like it should be that people pay for what they get. That means if I can afford and choose to invest in the best heart surgeon, then I have a better chance of survival for that procedure than someone who can’t or won’t. That said, in terms of communicable diseases, the “rules” change. I want the “stupids” of the world, “LWW” for example, to also have access to a good doctor (or bullet) to help reduce the public health threat of the disease (for those susceptible to a more serious outcome than a minor cold). It kinda turns everything upside down. I think that a combination approach would probably be best. Private sector run with government oversight, which is what we have.

There is no escaping the power of nature though...It really doesn’t matter in the big picture. Everybody is going to die of something, it’s not fair sometimes in terms of when or why.... I was out on a hike last fall and found a baby deer that died from getting tangled up in a fence. I hunt deer, kill them by shooting an arrow through their vital organs, but the baby deer dying tangled up in the fence made me more sad than I get when I take deer with a bow (it’s a combination of excitement and remorse). It was mostly because it died for no real reason. But then again, the coyotes were happy, the bacteria and fungi that would “thrive” as a result were well fed.... nature gonna nature.
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 04-08-2020 at 04:29 PM.

For those on LinkedIn, this is a recording of an interview with Bill Gates, made this morning. Interesting insight. Must be logged in.

https://www.linkedin.com/video/live/...3112593686528/

ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I’m not sure where I stand on that honestly. I’m really not educated enough on macroeconomics to have a valid position. What I “think” is that hospitals/pharmaceutical should not be publicly traded, making them have a legal duty to generate profit for shareholders at the expense of service. At the same time, I’ve worked in and with governmental agencies (in the US and abroad) long enough to know that you sure as fuk don’t want them in charge either; considering the nepotism, incompetence, and complete lack of accountability.

I have no clue of what could/would work best. I always feel like it should be that people pay for what they get, and that means if I can afford the best heart surgeon, then I have a better chance of survival for that procedure than someone who can’t. However, in communicable diseases the “rules” change. I want the “stupids” of the world, “LWW” for example, to also have access to a good doctor (or bullet) to help reduce the public health threat (for those susceptible to a more serious outcome than a minor cold). It kinda turns everything upside down.
    For what it's worth, your posts here are informative and on point with deftly inserted levity. Your contributions to this gnarly subject are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ChazWood View Post
    For what it's worth, your posts here are informative and on point with deftly inserted levity. Your contributions to this gnarly subject are much appreciated.
    Thanks Chaz, I edited my post before the quote but I hope everyone enjoys my dribble. Writing in here serves as a much needed outlet for me right now too. I have to write a lot of “stuff” about this for work, but I can’t really be honest. I can be honest in here, and that helps balance me out.