ajpieri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing My Beast Mode

For about 4 years I was going really hard in the gym. I worked harder and longer than anyone else I knew. I am 39 now. I compete in American Ninja Warrior competitions regularly. My whole goal is to maximize strength to weight ratio. So I try to stay light but as strong as possible. I was having issues with pumping out early on courses, and I read I might need more body fat (I was between 9-11% body fat). So I relaxed my diet some and am at about 15% now. I don’t pump out anymore, but I am finding it hard to get going hardcore in the gym anymore. I just feel tried and just don’t get that intensity I used to.

I still go to they gym as much as before, but most of the time I am forcing myself to go. When I am there I am slow to start and take longer than I should between sets and exercises. Oddly I am lifting heavier than before, but doing less. Sometimes I cut out whole exercises. For example, I used to do flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, flys, scull crushers, shoulder presses, front raises & side raise. And 3 different exercises for abs. Would hit it hard and get it all done in 1.5 hours. Now I take just as long but probably only do flat bench, 1 or 2 tricep exercises, shoulder presses, maybe the raises too, then maybe 1 ab exercise.

You guys think it is the diet? Not only have I relaxed my diet, but I am not eating as healthy either. For a long time I took no cheat days. Kept a close 40/40/20 split. Now I have a cheat day and don’t shy away from some sugary stuff on the weekends. Or could it just be my age?

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ajpieri View Post
    For about 4 years I was going really hard in the gym. I worked harder and longer than anyone else I knew. I am 39 now. I compete in American Ninja Warrior competitions regularly. My whole goal is to maximize strength to weight ratio. So I try to stay light but as strong as possible. I was having issues with pumping out early on courses, and I read I might need more body fat (I was between 9-11% body fat). So I relaxed my diet some and am at about 15% now. I don’t pump out anymore, but I am finding it hard to get going hardcore in the gym anymore. I just feel tried and just don’t get that intensity I used to.

I still go to they gym as much as before, but most of the time I am forcing myself to go. When I am there I am slow to start and take longer than I should between sets and exercises. Oddly I am lifting heavier than before, but doing less. Sometimes I cut out whole exercises. For example, I used to do flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, flys, scull crushers, shoulder presses, front raises & side raise. And 3 different exercises for abs. Would hit it hard and get it all done in 1.5 hours. Now I take just as long but probably only do flat bench, 1 or 2 tricep exercises, shoulder presses, maybe the raises too, then maybe 1 ab exercise.

You guys think it is the diet? Not only have I relaxed my diet, but I am not eating as healthy either. For a long time I took no cheat days. Kept a close 40/40/20 split. Now I have a cheat day and don’t shy away from some sugary stuff on the weekends. Or could it just be my age?
    That last question ain’t going to win you any points in this forum, son.

(Ok, ok, I’m only 40 myself)

I’ve no idea how to really answer your question, but I personally saw similar symptoms when my body fat went up in the autumn. However, I wrote it off to psychological factors - being less motivated because I felt depressed with my body image. A couple weeks on a cut (which then turned into a couple months) brought it all back in focus for me, returning my energy and motivation... even if my deadlift isn’t quite as high as it was in October!

Incidentally, since my wife and I watch ANW religiously, I’m wondering now if I “know” you...
    My Candito Linear log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177212011&p=1581528721#post1581528721

My Fierce 5 Novice log (deprecated): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think Ninja warrior is a very specific niche area of fitness and you should try to get specific coaching advice somewhere (maybe even a paid consultation if necessary) rather than on a bodybuilding forum. Good luck training!
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Attempting "Convict Conditioning", http://www.4hourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Convict-Conditioning-Progressions-Wall-Chart.jpg

ajpieri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I think Ninja warrior is a very specific niche area of fitness and you should try to get specific coaching advice somewhere (maybe even a paid consultation if necessary) rather than on a bodybuilding forum. Good luck training!
    Yeah I have thought about this, but ninja is so new, it is hard to really find sound advice.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some former climbers, like Magnus Midtbø seem interested in making the crossover to Ninja. Perhaps some of the pumpy routes like overhanging limestone sport climbing share something in common? There are resources out there for training hard endurance in rock climbing to resist pump out, maybe you can find some crossover there? Maybe you need to warm-up more then cool down a little to avoid "flash pump". I've no idea but some of the rock climbers might

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You sound worn out. Take a week off.

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm going to agree with the above. When I'm feeling exhausted I take a vacation week with no workouts. Usually by the third day out of the gym I cant wait to get back to a workout. Another option that helps is I change my workout routine. The change really brings my energy levels up.

On the last question. I'm 53 and now stronger and bigger than ever. Forget age, it's a myth!