15AM is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny Fat - Cut or Bulk?

70kg/155lbs at 5'8. I've been running starting strength, bulking + GOMAD so far but my lifts are still very weak after 2 months.

Squat: 50kg->77.5kg
    Bench: 30kg->50kg
    OHP: 30kg->37.5kg
    Deadlift: 60kg->97.5kg

I'm still so weak but I feel like I'm getting fat now. Should I cut, go to maintenance calories or continue to bulk?
    Attached Images

Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 15AM View Post
    70kg/155lbs at 5'8. I've been running starting strength, bulking + GOMAD so far but my lifts are still very weak after 2 months.

Squat: 50kg->77.5kg
    Bench: 30kg->50kg
    OHP: 30kg->37.5kg
    Deadlift: 60kg->97.5kg

I'm still so weak but I feel like I'm getting fat now. Should I cut, go to maintenance calories or continue to bulk?
    No right or wrong way to do it man all depends on what your goals are

Get shredded/look ripped? Do a cut. Just want to get stronger and not care about looks? Clean bulk and keep strength training.

Originally Posted by Matt11222 View Post
    No right or wrong way to do it man all depends on what your goals are

Get shredded/look ripped? Do a cut. Just want to get stronger and not care about looks? Clean bulk and keep strength training.
    Thanks for the reply man. I do care about looks more than strength but have heard that strength = size for beginners/novices. I don't mind getting a bit fat but I'm just not sure if I currently have a healthy amount of fat or not. What do you think from the pictures attached?
    Last edited by 15AM; 02-28-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply man. I do care about looks more than strength but have heard that strength = size for beginners/novices. I don't mind getting a bit fat but I'm just not sure if I currently have a healthy amount of fat or not. What do you think from the pictures attached?
    For beginner/novices strength definitely isn't correlated between size, or at least not in my experience. For example I am 17 y/o and 5'9 and I can deadlift/bench/squat almost double what the 'bigger' 6ft+ guys can and my muscles look smaller than theirs.

I would say you have an undesirable amount of fat but not unhealthy. You can still see some shape underneath it, for example your lats and biceps, but you wouldn't necessarily look like you lift, which I know is a big thing for some people. If you care mostly about looks I would recommend going on a cut, especially if you're still a novice. You'll be able to see your gains better AND you won't run the risk of losing some muscle mass if you bulk first.

Originally Posted by Matt11222 View Post
    For beginner/novices strength definitely isn't correlated between size, or at least not in my experience. For example I am 17 y/o and 5'9 and I can deadlift/bench/squat almost double what the 'bigger' 6ft+ guys can and my muscles look smaller than theirs.

I would say you have an undesirable amount of fat but not unhealthy. You can still see some shape underneath it, for example your lats and biceps, but you wouldn't necessarily look like you lift, which I know is a big thing for some people. If you care mostly about looks I would recommend going on a cut, especially if you're still a novice. You'll be able to see your gains better AND you won't run the risk of losing some muscle mass if you bulk first.
    Okay, thanks. I'll go on a cut with around a 500 calorie deficit. Do you still recommend sticking to starting strength or a choosing a more hypertrophy orientated program like All Pro's Beginners Routine?

Okay, thanks. I'll go on a cut with around a 500 calorie deficit. Do you still recommend sticking to starting strength or a choosing a more hypertrophy orientated program like All Pro's Beginners Routine?
    in all honesty I've never done a cut myself so I'm not too sure lol, but as a guess I think strength training would be pointless as you wouldn't be making any gains because of the deficit and the workouts you're doing is to preserve as much muscle as possible. Stick to the hypertrophy ranges of about 10-15 and you should be good. Once you're done with the cut go all out on the strength as much as you like. You'll have to cut again eventually in the future, just the natural cycle. Good luck brah