JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Time for 1 exercise out of many in a routine

So I always see routines that have 6-8, 9 even 10 different exercises for 3 sets each. I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong because for me to do 5 sets of 5 reps on bench takes me 30 minutes including setting up/warming up. So how do I finish my routine without being in the gym for 2 hours.

I do 5 x 5 incline bench ---> 30 minutes
    5 x 5 rows ----> 15 minutes including warming up
    3 sets shoulder presses ---> 10 minutes
    3 sets push ups ---> 5 minutes

so that is almost 1 hour and I see all these workout programs with even more exercises to complete. Is this sufficient or do I need to do even more? The above is my upper body day, I do 3 times a week alternating between upper and lower.

Please help me figure out how to follow all these routines/workouts when the above takes 1 hour? Maybe I am doing something wrong. I am 50 years old and the above feels like it is enough but is taking me too long, I would like to do more exercises.

Thanks in advance!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First, you have to factor in that you're working out 6 days/week, while some routines you're looking at might be allocating volume over 3, 4, 5 days. And others might be total garbage with tons of junk volume.

Hard to give you advice without seeing what other routines you're comparing yours with. But 16 hard sets in an hour sounds fine to me, although your Upper day repeated 3x/week is not a good workout. I'd assume your Lower day isn't good either.

Equally as important, you don't need to be doing a 6-day U/L in the first place. Pick a good 4-day U/L or another routine, and follow it. If it takes you longer than 1 hour per workout, so be it.

JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamSumo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sorry, maybe I didn't explain my routine well:

Mon - Upper Body as stated in my original post
    Wed - Lower Body - 5 x 5 Zercher, 5 x 5 Deadlifts, 3 sets kettlebell swings, 3 sets kettlbell squats
    Fri - Upper Again

Then the following week It would be Lower/Upper/Lower on Mon/Wed Fri

I do cardio on Tues/Thurs/Sat. Look up any routine and the number of exercises and volume is way up there but I take a full hour to complete my upper routine and my lower routine and I have to rush at the end because I am always running out of time.

Thanks! Hopefully, I am not confusing anyone.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JamSumo View Post
    Sorry, maybe I didn't explain my routine well
    Thanks for further detail, that's diff than what you said originally.

Look up any routine and the number of exercises and volume is way up there but I take a full hour to complete my upper routine and my lower routine and I have to rush at the end because I am always running out of time.
    Your routine is not good no matter how many or few days/week you do it. Work out faster or do more days/week and less cardio if you need to lift more than 3x/week due to your slow pace and if you only have 1 hr to do each workout. But regardless, pick a different routine. You should be able to do Fierce 5 3-day FB fine in your current schedule and at your current pace.

clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I complete most of my workouts in an hour to an hour and 15 minutes and I get in a ton of volume, but I generally only work 2-3 muscle groups per day. I agree bench press does take the longest out of any exercises I do, but I also do a 5x5 (plus a burnout set at the end) and can say with confidence it should not take 30 minutes to do. Too much rest time in between sets. Think about it, even if it takes you 1 minute (it doesn't) to do 1 set of 5 reps, that would imply it takes you 5 minutes to bench and 25 minutes to stand around and rest between sets.

clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I will add - one thing I like to do (may not be advised in general but it works for me) is to do 2 exercises at a time. For example when I am working chest and triceps, I will generally do one set of incline db bench, then one set of overhead tricep press, then back to inclines etc. It helps me to move thru my workout faster because I am not resting as much in between the two exercises.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Thanks for further detail, that's diff than what you said originally.

Your routine is not good no matter how many or few days/week you do it. Work out faster or do more days/week and less cardio if you need to lift more than 3x/week due to your slow pace and if you only have 1 hr to do each workout. But regardless, pick a different routine. You should be able to do Fierce 5 3-day FB fine in your current schedule and at your current pace.
    thank you for your advice. I am just wondering what is wrong with my routine? I am thinking of changing it up but don't know what is wrong with it. thanks!

Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
    I complete most of my workouts in an hour to an hour and 15 minutes and I get in a ton of volume, but I generally only work 2-3 muscle groups per day. I agree bench press does take the longest out of any exercises I do, but I also do a 5x5 (plus a burnout set at the end) and can say with confidence it should not take 30 minutes to do. Too much rest time in between sets. Think about it, even if it takes you 1 minute (it doesn't) to do 1 set of 5 reps, that would imply it takes you 5 minutes to bench and 25 minutes to stand around and rest between sets.
    thanks! I gotta figure out what I am doing wrong, something isn't adding up, maybe I am resting too much between sets.

thank you for your advice. I am just wondering what is wrong with my routine? I am thinking of changing it up but don't know what is wrong with it.
    That's exactly why you shouldn't be designing your own program - you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to fix yours. If you even bothered to look at the one I suggested or others in the stickies on the Workout forum page you'd have some idea of things that may be wrong with yours, but certainly your right to keep tinkering with your own.

Like I said, your pace isn't the problem. The problem is what you're choosing to do with your 16 sets every workout.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    That's exactly why you shouldn't be designing your own program - you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to fix yours. If you even bothered to look at the one I suggested or others in the stickies on the Workout forum page you'd have some idea of things that may be wrong with yours, but certainly your right to keep tinkering with your own.

Like I said, your pace isn't the problem. The problem is what you're choosing to do with your 16 sets every workout.
    ok, got it, thanks. I did look at Fierce 5 and it looks good. I will consider it.
    Last edited by JamSumo; 02-28-2020 at 05:56 PM.