LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LawStudent1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which progression method is the "best" for muscle growth

My "add 2.5lbs a session/week" days seem to be over so I was looking for an easy to keep track off progression model. I came across two models based on the double progression method.

1° Using for example a rep range of 6-8, performing all sets (3-4) with the same weight. You only progress in weight once you a) hit the top end of the rep range on your first set AND all other sets fall in between the 6-8 range. So for example 8-7-5 or 7-7-6 means sticking to the same weight, 8-7-6 means going up in weight.

2° Using the classic double progression method (e.g.3 sets of 6-8 reps, adding weight when you hit 8-8-8), but with a twist, namely that you only add weight to your last set the next session. E.g. session 1: 100lbs x 3 x 8; session 2: 100lbs x 2 x 8 and 102.5lbs x 1 x 6). Once you hit 8 on your last set you work backwards and add weight to the second set, once you get 8 reps with that aswel you add weight to the first set. Supposedly week after week your RPE drops because you're getting stronger, thus the first 2 sets become easier, making it possible to add weight/reps to your final set.

As muscle growth doesn't depend on getting stronger in absolute numbers, but getting stronger over multiple sets - withstanding fatigue - these methods should in theory ensure that. But which one seems more practical? The first one looks a bit more aggressive with weight progression.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Any or all of the above.

My general philosophy is to avoid doing the max you possibly can in a single session - but aim to improve in terms of weight, reps per sets, number of sets or (perhaps) RPE.

The methods used is going to depend a lot on your experience level - advanced lifters can't regularly increase weight for long. The one thing that anyone can do is increase the number of sets over time. A volume ramp would be the closest thing to a universal hypertrophy progression method IMO.

Bear in mind that if you haven't been doing a particular exercise for very long, there will be neural adaptations that occur alongside this. I think can help with progression but you shouldn't take this as a reason to keep changing exercises because "directed adapation" is still a factor. Perhaps run an individual exercise for 1 mesocycle of around 6-8 weeks and then deload and swap it out for a close variant.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best one is the one you will consistently stick to long term.

all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000) all pro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How about sets across, same weight for three sets. On the final set go for 2 more reps. When you can get them increase the weight 5 pounds. That will become a killer so I would set it up so that on the first week I do the sets for the same number of reps and then try to add one rep to the final set each week for 2 weeks. If you don't get them start back doing the same reps for all three sets and have at it again. This works pretty well for 3 works sets. It might be a bit much with 4 or 5.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I either go 5lb a month, or by the rep range. Whatever weight amount tires me out by the end of the reps, i'll move up to if i'm not using it already. If I wanna go more slow and steady, i'll move up by a small set amount each month. Depends how i'm feeling I suppose.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261