NoewUH is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Discouraged with fat loss process, need help

I hate to post another one of these topics on the forum but I am genuinely looking for advice and would be willing to hear everything.

I am 18 years old, 6'0, 192lbs, 20-24% BF(?). I workout 5-6 times a week, mainly weight training, cardio, and sometimes HIIT.

I use a Fitbit to track steps, calories lost, sleep, etc (I do understand these devices can overestimate), and have constantly been burning 3000+ calories a day, along with great sleep. I'm currently eating in a caloric deficit of around 500 (2200), although most days I am 100 to 200 calories under to account for small things such as small servings of bbq sauce, salsa, tzatziki, hot sauce, etc (just to mention a common few). Along with this, I've been using intermittent fasting in the window of 10-6PM. My macros are spread between 190 carbs, 190 protein, 73 fat.

My issue is: I've been weighing myself weekly (each Wednesday) along with progress photos, and have seen little to no progress. My weight fluctuates between 190 - 192 (it goes up and down), and I have seen a very slight change in the photos.

I do understand HOW weight loss works, and have seen the common issue with mistracking calories, though I feel that I am fairly solid. I drink black coffee, only drink water (occasionally a cup of milk which is tracked), prepare all of my meals and count calories. Besides all of that, I am eating in such a large caloric deficit that any miscalculation should still come under my maintenance.

With all of this in mind, I have been so discouraged to see little to no progress despite all of the efforts I put it. I am willing to hear any of your opinions and would be glad to answer any follow-up questions.

Much thanks.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You aren't really eating as few calories as you think, though at your age/height/weight, I'd be working towards increasing strength/muscle and not cut until you're in your 20s.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Only weighing yourself once a week is an ostrich like approach. you should do it daily - and deal with the 'noise' of water weight fluctuations you see day by day. (look for the trend).

How many weeks has your weight been stationary?

The central issue is probably that you are close to your maintenance calorie level. You simply need to eat less (assuming that you are actually stationary which is why I asked for weigh-in history).

You probably aren't actually burning 3000 calories. Those devices could easily be off by over 500 calories. That's the only conclusion that can be drawn when the real life data is telling you a different story.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Only weighing yourself once a week is an ostrich like approach. you should do it daily - and deal with the 'noise' of water weight fluctuations you see day by day. (look for the trend).

How many weeks has your weight been stationary?

The central issue is probably that you are close to your maintenance calorie level. You simply need to eat less (assuming that you are actually stationary which is why I asked for weigh-in history).

You probably aren't actually burning 3000 calories. Those devices could easily be off by over 500 calories. That's the only conclusion that can be drawn when the real life data is telling you a different story.
    I've been starting to weigh myself daily over the past week, I've seen 193.4 at my highest and 189.8 at my lowest.

The weight has been stationary for 4 weeks now, although I've been on a cut closer to 6.

I'd be more than willing to start trying to eat less (maybe around 2000?), atlhough I'm a bit worried I might be eating too little. TDEE calculator put me around 2900 (moderate exercise) or 2600 (light exercise), which would put me at a 600-900 deficit.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    You aren't really eating as few calories as you think, though at your age/height/weight, I'd be working towards increasing strength/muscle and not cut until you're in your 20s.
    Even if I miscalculate by 200-400 calories (which is a big stretch), with my TDEE around 2700, that would still put me in a deficit. I completely admit I could be tracking incorrectly, though I still believe I would be in a deficit.

When it comes to losing fat, I do feel that should be my primary concern. I've been big most of my life (started at 260 a few years back. Got comfortable, and stayed around 180-200 for the past year) and still have some fat to lose.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NoewUH View Post
    I use a Fitbit to track steps, calories lost, sleep, etc (I do understand these devices can overestimate), and have constantly been burning 3000+ calories a day
    what makes you think that over 3000 calories burned per day is not an overestimation? like legit, if your weight remains the same for a few weeks, eat less

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I've been starting to weigh myself daily over the past week, I've seen 193.4 at my highest and 189.8 at my lowest.

The weight has been stationary for 4 weeks now, although I've been on a cut closer to 6.

I'd be more than willing to start trying to eat less (maybe around 2000?), atlhough I'm a bit worried I might be eating too little. TDEE calculator put me around 2900 (moderate exercise) or 2600 (light exercise), which would put me at a 600-900 deficit.
    That's the point, it clearly is not a 500 calorie deficit, otherwise you would be seeing 1lb a week loss. So unless the 189 was a true weight at the end of the 4 weeks and the 193 was a true weight at the beginning, then it's not 500...

Calculators are guesswork. Real data always supersedes what they say.

That's the point, it clearly is not a 500 calorie deficit, otherwise you would be seeing 1lb a week loss. So unless the 189 was a true weight at the end of the 4 weeks and the 193 was a true weight at the beginning, then it's not 500...

Calculators are guesswork. Real data always supersedes what they say.
    That’s fair. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll increase my deficit and see how that works in a few weeks.

Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hey man, sounds like you're really dedicated to losing weight and it's something that's been on your mind for a long time. I know how you feel, i'm still trying to lose more weight too.

First of all, don't feel too hard on yourself, you sound pretty fit if you're working out 5-6 times per week, and 190 pounds at 6'0" isn't so bad.
    From the information you've told me (and i'm no doctor), but it seems like you're eating too many carbs and not enough fats, if weight loss is your goal. A lot of studies have shown that low-carb/high-fat diets are one of the most efficient diets for weight loss.

At least this is what has worked for me and a lot of other people I know. I have been on a Keto Diet (low-carb/high-fat) for the past 6 months and I've lost almost 70 pounds, with a lot more still to lose. Check out Keto and see if it fits for you.

Keep on keeping on with the workouts man, I'm impressed that you're so active! Working out is something I struggle with and I need to do more regularly.

Best of luck!
    Started weight loss journey with Keto Diet on:

September 20th, 2019 - Weight: 320 pounds

October 20th, 2019 - Weight: 308 pounds (-12)

November 20th, 2019 - Weight: 293 pounds (-27)

December 20th, 2019 - Weight: 280 pounds (-40)

January 20th, 2020 - Weight: 266 pounds (-54)

February 20th, 2020 - Weight: 252 pounds (-68)

I've lost 68 pounds in 6 months using the Keto Diet @

Goal: 185

Originally Posted by Spiffz View Post
    Hey man, sounds like you're really dedicated to losing weight and it's something that's been on your mind for a long time. I know how you feel, i'm still trying to lose more weight too.

First of all, don't feel too hard on yourself, you sound pretty fit if you're working out 5-6 times per week, and 190 pounds at 6'0" isn't so bad.
    From the information you've told me (and i'm no doctor), but it seems like you're eating too many carbs and not enough fats, if weight loss is your goal. A lot of studies have shown that low-carb/high-fat diets are one of the most efficient diets for weight loss.

At least this is what has worked for me and a lot of other people I know. I have been on a Keto Diet (low-carb/high-fat) for the past 6 months and I've lost almost 70 pounds, with a lot more still to lose. Check out Keto and see if it fits for you.

Keep on keeping on with the workouts man, I'm impressed that you're so active! Working out is something I struggle with and I need to do more regularly.

Best of luck!
    Thank you man, that means a lot to hear.

I’ll definitely take a look at keto, it might help to try out a new nutrition plan.

ps. Congrats on your own weight loss! That’s crazy!

Thank you man, that means a lot to hear.

I’ll definitely take a look at keto, it might help to try out a new nutrition plan.

ps. Congrats on your own weight loss! That’s crazy!
    Be careful, this is probably a spammer. I just had to remove an advertising URL from his signature.

There is no particular advantage to keto unless you are epileptic or are known to have insulin resistance issues.

Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100) Spiffz is not very well liked. (-100)
    Be careful, this is probably a spammer. I just had to remove an advertising URL from his signature.

There is no particular advantage to keto unless you are epileptic or are known to have insulin resistance issues.
    Ouch, what a way to be welcomed by a senior member of the community.

I joined the forum to support others and to receive support from others, so it's a bit disappointing that my first post of encouragement makes me as a "spammer" and that the diet plan I personally used that changed my life is just an "advertising URL". As far as I can tell, the OP was grateful for my input.

As far as advantages of keto, to which you claim there is no particular advantage.... Well,

1. I can link you a reputable source (healthline) which clearly lays out the advantages to keto here as an evidence based article: healthline.com/nutrition/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets (remove spaces - spam filter)

2. I'm speaking from the experience of what has helped for me man, and the fact that you just shut me down right off the bat and immediately discredit the information that I took time and effort to provide ain't so nice.

You can disagree with me about keto, but to say without a doubt that you're right and i'm wrong is really self-righteous man. I would expect more from a moderator.

Also, I appreciate that you are trying to stop spammers, but maybe you could get in touch with me first next time, or use a little more discretion about why a "spammer" would spend so much time typing out a well-meaning comment.
    Started weight loss journey with Keto Diet on:

September 20th, 2019 - Weight: 320 pounds

October 20th, 2019 - Weight: 308 pounds (-12)

November 20th, 2019 - Weight: 293 pounds (-27)

December 20th, 2019 - Weight: 280 pounds (-40)

January 20th, 2020 - Weight: 266 pounds (-54)

February 20th, 2020 - Weight: 252 pounds (-68)

I've lost 68 pounds in 6 months using the Keto Diet @

Goal: 185

Spammers are a constant problem here so posting a URL is a massive red flag.

I looked at the article you posted (which I assume you won't need to post again). It's an opinion piece. Most of use have read primary research and concluded that there is no special advtantage of keto beyond what I've already mentioned. Preference also comes into play but that has to be weighed against the significant inconvenience of constantly avoiding carbs.