Statistic24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice for Morbidly Obese Man

As I struggle with my first issue of anxiety and depression to even post this. I find myself deleting everything I type. Believing this post will just bother people.

I'm currently almost a 30 year old male and weighed in at 407 pounds this morning. I have been unable to budge my weight for years. I don't think anyone wants to hear my long sappy story of mental illness and being a lazy fat guy so I just have some questions if anyone has any advice.

Does anyone have any resources / information or ideas on exercises a morbidly obese person can do at home? I often find myself giving up from things 'not seeming effective' or 'doing it wrong' but the more information I can get on this, the better I can try to convince myself.

My second biggest question is: How many times a day should someone eat when dieting? How do I build a meal plan for a morbidly obese person? Does anyone have any really good reading sources for someone of my situation? How do you stay full when everything is so high in calories? Etc.

I will check back later once I calm down. Sorry if this forum or site isn't a good place for me to post this.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are a few posters on this forum who've made amazing turnarounds from morbidly obese to fit/muscular, so it's definitely possible and you are definitely in the right place on these forums.

Hoping one of them will respond...
    Good luck!
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Attempting "Convict Conditioning", http://www.4hourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Convict-Conditioning-Progressions-Wall-Chart.jpg

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should talk to a doctor first. I think for the first few months its going to be walking, eating moe vegatables and drinking more water to get your weiht down to where yo can truly start exercising.

Best of luck!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As the others have said, talk to your doctor first and then keep it simple. Just walking is an amazing exercise. Your first priority will be your diet. You're going to have to drop some bad habits and pick up some good ones. This is going to take time.

I hope somebody does come up with a specific set of reading that addresses your specific issues, but in the meantime accept that you're in this for the long haul. Mental illness is nothing to dismiss casually, and you're going to need some experienced help. In the meantime, the rest of us will be pulling for you.

Keep us informed!
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Sweet Prince of Peace BigAndJuicy's Avatar
    BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000) BigAndJuicy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to make sure you are eating at a calorie deficit. Look at the nutrition facts for everything you eat (how many calories per gram of whatever you're eating)

Buy a food scale

Weigh it out precisely. This will allow you to count all the calories you eat in a day.

Put your info in this calculator:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

Eat that amount of calories daily

Eventually as you lose weight you'll need to use the calculator again, since you need less calories to maintain a lower weight
    -Trump on economics: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170898241&p=1431743431#post1431743431
    -My 1 year hairloss treatment results thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167142581&page=1

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP doesnt need a food scale starting off. He just needs basic nutrition and walking and that will help immensely.

LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    OP doesnt need a food scale starting off. He just needs basic nutrition and walking and that will help immensely.
    Exactly!

OP, in your case, simple changes in diet and a little bit of exercise will make big changes. They key is to start now and be committed. There may be days when you may revert to the old habits but never let them stop you.

Statistic24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It took me til now to read this, and I am happy and surprised no comments were negative.

I appreciate the support and advice. Walking around outside makes me a bit anxious, so I'm trying to think of a way to do it inside, pretty cramped in here!

Food wise, I've always been better with actual plans of attack. I heard doing multiple meals a day is a good idea. But what I put in each of them is the hard part, and balancing those calories. I'm not even sure how many calories to aim for.

I'm going to see if I can build myself up to seeing a nutritionist, as well as googling some more.

Again, thank you all. If you have any great tips or anything, it would be appreciated!

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should be able to ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian. That could prove really helpful.

How much space do you have in the home? Some ideas if limited:
    - march in place, or walk up/down stairs if you have some available
    - sit down in a chair and stand up over and over
    - do push-ups against a counter or wall
    - pick up and put down any variety of objects (a chair, a box, a coffee table, etc)

If this sounds appealing and you would like more specific recommendations please state so.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Statistic24 View Post
    It took me til now to read this, and I am happy and surprised no comments were negative....
    Why? You've come to a forum full of people dedicated to trying to physically better themselves, stating you're trying to get physically better yourself. What problems do you think we're going to have with that???
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Attempting "Convict Conditioning", http://www.4hourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Convict-Conditioning-Progressions-Wall-Chart.jpg

jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Exercise: Just walking, daily, as much as you can. It helps a lot. You don't need to walk fast, slow walking is fine too. Don't try to run, just walk.

Eating: yes, most foods are high in calories. Excepts fruits, vegetables, greek yoghurt, egg whites and others. Lean meats, like turkey or chicken breast, are acceptable too.

If you feel the need to eat 'normal' stuff or sweet foods, there are different tricks:
    - zero calories condiments - mustards, ketchup, bbq sauce
    - zero calories chocolate/caramel/others sweet sauces
    - sweeteners like erythritol or xylitol
    - zero calories drinks
    These are not necessary, but they can help.

Psyllium husk - mostly fiber, it controls hunger because fiber expands a lot in the stomach. Make sure to drink a lot of water after. Just mix psyllium husk, greek yoghurt, zero calorie sweetener, some cinnamon, some water, maybe some zero calorie sauce and you have a meal. The taste is quite good with the right stuff (sweetener and zero calorie chocolate sauce)

You need to be in a caloric deficit. And eating low calorie dense foods is the best thing to do it. If you are the type of person who cannot control hunger, you may want to get rid of the high calorie stuff in the house. Throw them and don't buy them. Buy greek yoghurt, egg whites in a bottle/cartoon, vegetables, fruits, chicken breast.

It really depends on the person

Fat, sick and nearly dead - in this documentary this guy, Phil Staples, dropped a lot of weight by just drinking vegetable juices. Just an motivational example, I am not saying to only drink vegetable juices. Some can do it this way, some have other ways. Some can be in a caloric deficit by eating high calorie dense foods but eating mini-portions. I don't recommend it, but some can. Better to stick to low calorie dense foods, because your stomach will be fuller and the need to eat will be smaller.

https://youtu.be/V-WUP5psyuM?t=4188

PS: The number of meals a day doesn't matter, as long as you are in a caloric deficit. 3-4-5 meals a day would be best, though.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Food wise, I've always been better with actual plans of attack. I heard doing multiple meals a day is a good idea. But what I put in each of them is the hard part, and balancing those calories. I'm not even sure how many calories to aim for.
    Read the stickies in the Nutrition forum and you'll learn a lot of what you need to know. Maybe also keep an eye on some of the post titles and read ones that look relevant, just don't get too caught up at your stage in some of the science that gets thrown around or things will get pretty complicated.

Keep things simple, sensible and gradual and you'll make changes over time. Avoid super quick weight loss plans or fad diets, as you can't keep that up for the long term and likely will gain the weight back. You need to develop a healthy and sustainable diet and exercise routine.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Why? You've come to a forum full of people dedicated to trying to physically better themselves, stating you're trying to get physically better yourself. What problems do you think we're going to have with that???
    I think I understand exactly how he feels. It's not rational, but that makes it no less real for some of us. I struggled with social anxiety to some extent when I was younger, if not so extreme.

And of course, random internet snark may be just part of the background or even entertaining for many of us, but it's a real source of misery to some.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    I think I understand exactly how he feels. It's not rational, but that makes it no less real for some of us. I struggled with social anxiety to some extent when I was younger, if not so extreme.

And of course, random internet snark may be just part of the background or even entertaining for many of us, but it's a real source of misery to some.
    There's always the Misc forum. Might've gotten slightly diff feedback.

Registered User ItsUncleMcNasty's Avatar
    ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As I struggle with my first issue of anxiety and depression to even post this. I find myself deleting everything I type. Believing this post will just bother people.

I'm currently almost a 30 year old male and weighed in at 407 pounds this morning. I have been unable to budge my weight for years. I don't think anyone wants to hear my long sappy story of mental illness and being a lazy fat guy so I just have some questions if anyone has any advice.

Does anyone have any resources / information or ideas on exercises a morbidly obese person can do at home? I often find myself giving up from things 'not seeming effective' or 'doing it wrong' but the more information I can get on this, the better I can try to convince myself.

My second biggest question is: How many times a day should someone eat when dieting? How do I build a meal plan for a morbidly obese person? Does anyone have any really good reading sources for someone of my situation? How do you stay full when everything is so high in calories? Etc.

I will check back later once I calm down. Sorry if this forum or site isn't a good place for me to post this.
    Hey - I used to be 320 lbs and the fastest weight I loss was doing Keto diet. It allowed me to eat as much as I wanted, I just couldnt eat carbs. I lost 80 lbs the first year.

Hope it can help you too, look it up on youtube and you'll get the basics of it