Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Received my CFF Bulldog rings a few days back and looking forward to setting them up to start using.

From what I've read and watched on them, I should be humbled at first...I want to try pushups with external rotations, ring flyes, dips and perhaps some rollouts with iron cross position eventually (likely not the true iron cross movement anytime soon).

All the discussion on the steel pushup handles might persuade me to get those as well because this is the equipment forum, but can't wait to challenge myself on the rings first and see from there if I'll even need/want 'em just yet (the pushup handles).

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just set up the rings today and I gotta say that for dips and pushups at the lowest adjustment they're a whole other animal and I need more time to practice them...however ring pull ups are freakin' nice, I could almost see them having some carry over to stationary bar pull ups to some degree (the natural rotation towards the top has a great overall feel to it).

As cliche and broken record as it sounds, it's just another tool in the toolbox of exercises. One other thing about them that's a slight con is that they are kind of a pita to set up and then put away afterwards (attaching and removing them from the pull up bar in the rack when you want to lift in there since there's no other way to get them out of your way).

I might try to see if I can find a beam in the attic if it's safe to attach them there, or maybe try them on my old door frame pull up bar, although that's a low height and not sure of its integrity under the pressure.

In other pushup handle news, I randomly came across the page for these BWTG pushup handles in 2" grips (not the paralette ones I previously posted a few posts back)...

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/Push_Up...up-handles.htm

At $60 and free shipping and Dean's usual quality, I might just take a chance and grab those.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Late to chime in on rings, but I'm not a fan of them for pushups or dips. I feel that they shift the stress to your shoulders which is uncomfortable. Got a cheap ring setup on Amazon years ago and maybe used them twice before selling. Its one of those purchases that sounds good in your head, but kinda sucks in application.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Late to chime in on rings, but I'm not a fan of them for pushups or dips. I feel that they shift the stress to your shoulders which is uncomfortable. Got a cheap ring setup on Amazon years ago and maybe used them twice before selling. Its one of those purchases that sounds good in your head, but kinda sucks in application.
    That's good to know. I was kind of considering rings. I don't need anything else to stress shoulder or forearms.

For anyone with forearm tendonitis, Alternating regular bar with Fat Gripz has helped a lot.
    Last edited by Greybird2; 03-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    That's good to know. I was kind of considering rings. I don't need anything else to stress shoulder or forearms.

For anyone with forearm tendonitis, Alternating regular bar with Fat Gripz has helped a lot.
    Are you referring to regular bar pull ups with Fat Gripz, or a barbell with Fat Gripz on it?

If you meant fat grip pull ups, I agree. I have a 1 1/2" and 2" pull up bar and the open palm grips on the above mentioned take the stress off the forearm and elbow joints and force you to contract the back more, although more grip is involved.

I been working on more pull ups on the standard 1" bar since the past few years I've been mixing different grips and doing burn out sets after my lifts which didn't equate much to high volume pull ups (now I do only standard pull ups for a few sets at the beginning of my workout before my lifts and on non-lifting days been doing as many sets as it takes to reach a goal number that day, but the extra pull ups those rest days are proving to be taxing on the elbow, so I might go back to a one day on one day off style with them, or maybe greasing the groove with a single set of reps on other days).

I also been prioritizing 100 pushups, or decline pushups each day (I add a few additional reps with a 3, or 4 second slow eccentric and concentric to them) and been doing fine recovering from those each day.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This thread isn't about rings, but I'll add an update that I've used mine a couple times for push-ups and really like the movement. The increased range of motion is a plus and I like the extra challenge of managing the inherent instability. For most, it's probably a novelty, but the price of admission is pretty low and I'm sold.

I do have shoulder issues, but taking care to keep my elbows tucked in and maintaining proper form seems to be working out well. Not sure I'll be trying dips anytime soon though. Pull-ups should be fine, though I'm going to ceiling mount the rings if/when I start doing those.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    This thread isn't about rings, but I'll add an update that I've used mine a couple times for push-ups and really like the movement. The increased range of motion is a plus and I like the extra challenge of managing the inherent instability. For most, it's probably a novelty, but the price of admission is pretty low and I'm sold.

I do have shoulder issues, but taking care to keep my elbows tucked in and maintaining proper form seems to be working out well. Not sure I'll be trying dips anytime soon though. Pull-ups should be fine, though I'm going to ceiling mount the rings if/when I start doing those.
    I tested pull ups with the rings and they're excellent since they naturally rotate the wrists on the way up (unlike on a stationary pull up bar, even though I like training on those as well since they keep the pronated style tension throughout the movement).

I tried bodyweight rows with the rings as well which is a nice movement...if I had one complaint about the rings it's that they're a complete b**ch to setup and take out along with the left over strap hanging in the way (this is when setting them up to an area with other uses, in my case the power rack pull up bar and door frame pull up bar).

If I find a good ceiling beam to hang the rings from then I mostly have no complaints and as you mentioned for the price you can't go wrong with them for the versatility they provide (even for just pulling movements alone they're worth owning).

Ray012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Thought I'd post this since going back to banging out pushups within and in between my weightliftinging sessions, variations included (I don't know why I ever neglected them for a while with dips in their place).

I've been etching out my serratus anterior and ab muscles to a decent degree combined with the lifting (like I did years ago combining the two).

I know usually backpacks with plates inside were a popular solution as well as someone putting a plate on your back and weight vests...anything else these days worth a look beside the above mentioned, or any recommendation of a good reputable weight vest, or solution worth mentioning presently?
    simulator x1 for fighters UFC