chakotha is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie: Lower back pain after deadlift 3 weeks on

Hi all

I am totally new to the gym and working out.

I joined up with 6 personal training sessions to get started.

In the second session I was deadlifting a fairly light barbell and felt a jolt of pain in my lower back. I think my back was straight enough.

Anyway, I stopped those and we went on to the shoulder press machine and finished up.

Thing is this was 3 weeks ago and it is still really sore. I have been taking ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to be much better.

I have taken a break from the training for a bit.

Does this kind of this just go away and get better?

I'm not sure if it is a muscle sprain or strain or if I slipped something.

Any ideas or feedback most welcome!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Has it occurred to you too go see a physician? A "jolt" of pain during training is never a good sign.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Not yet. It wasn't too dramatic - like a sudden twinge of pain.

If I was to get it checked I wasn't sure where to start. A doctor, a physiotherapist, chiropractor, osteopath or a massage.

vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000) vristang is just really nice. (+1000)
    doctor or physio, maybe chiro if you already have one... My preference would be the former.

That jolt of pain is typical of a pinched nerve in your back. Typically there isn't any permanent damage, but I've had those linger for months, where as a trip to the doctor for some muscle relaxers can clear it up in a day or 2.

good luck,
    Jason
    First USAPL meet Feb 17th, 2017. Results S/B/D - 350/303/419
    Building a garage gym...

My advice is from personal experience only, use at your own risk, lol

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So were you doing these under the supervision of your personal trainer?
    Your technique may be off but what i see from your post is you went to shoulder press after your deadlifts correct?
    This can be the possible cause also as overhead pressing can put a lot of stress on the low back also.
    You need to a tight braced position when doing OHP even with a machine.
    Both the DL and OHP can be an issue for the low back if your not braced or technique is off.
    i personally would never have someone do them both in the same training session especially if you are totally new.
    Your low back strength and endurance is not there because it new to you.
    Were you wearing a belt at all?
    You need to ask your trainer about your issue.
    If he doesn't give you a logical satifactory answer moving on would be best instead of staying them.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) you tweaked your back. Most likely due to s*** form. Congratulations, it happens all of us as newbs. DO NOT TAKE IT EASY KEEP MOVING. I cannot stress that enough, keep your lower back from getting stiff. That goes for any gym injury not serious enough to require medical attention

2) when you get back to working out start with light weights and work your way back up WITH PROPER FORM. There are thousands of videos of proper form on YouTube.

3) as already stated, learn to brace correctly. Take a deep belly breath and exhale against a closed throat. It is called valsalva maneuver (google it and learn it)
    It will protect your lower back from flexing (the main function of the core, yes your lower back is part of the core) and prevent lumbar flexion.

4) Get yourself a weightlifting belt and learn to use it as well. Don’t listen to all the other guys who say “using a belt will make your core weak” because that is bulls***. It is the best tool to learn how to brace.

5) a cue I learned to help bracing is flexing my butt, also to protect the lower back and keep it from flexing.

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Could be muscle strain. I got what I assume was a strain, doing deadlifts one time. Went away after a month or so, but was able to workout, just kept it lighter and perfect form for a few weeks.
    If you're brand new to lifting I can't imagine you used much weight, so could just be really bad form or really bad bracing.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100) MDSal92 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Get it looked at, if its just a pull, or your still going through DOMS, you just need to lower the weight, eat better, and work on form.

Staying immobile and away from the gym will just make it worse in the long run.