RudlzaVedno is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout program... Help Please

Hi guys,

I have a few questions for experienced bodybuilders. I started following program listed below a year ago and don't know if I'm getting satisfactory results from it. Can you please tell me your opinion?
    I've been following the program for a year now and didn't gain much lean body mass. I'm a 39yo 6 feet very "light-boned" guy. I weighted 152 lbs when I started following the program, a year later I weight around 163 pounds with minimal body fat. Is that enough of a progress for 1 year work? Should I change my diet (I'm eating around 80g of proteins a day and probably enough carbohydrates through potatoes, rice and pasta)?
    One more question. I do 15 min full body stretching after every weightlifting session, but my body still feels kind of sore and muscles "hard on touch" (but have no typical muscle fever) all of the time. Is that normal?

Thank you for your help.

Here's the 3 day program I follow. I try to adjust weights so the last repetition is near muscle failure.
    I chose this barbell/dumbbell program only because I can do it at home, so I don't have to waste time going to a gym:

Monday:

Squat 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Lying Press 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Military Press 2 sets, 12 reps
    Bent-over Rows 2 sets, 12 reps
    Biceps Curls 2 sets 2 reps
    Lying Triceps Extensions 2 sets, 12 reps
    Back Raises 2-3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Abs workout (Weighted Situps 2x15 reps, Reverse crunches 1x15 reps ended with extended legs hold till exhaustion, bicycle crunches 1x15 reps ended with extended legs hold till exhaustion)

Wednesday:

Lunges - 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Calf Raise - 3 sets, 12-15 reps
    Wide Grip Lying Press - 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Reverse Grip Bent-over Rows - 2 sets, 12 reps
    Front Raise - 2 sets, 12 reps
    Shrugs - 2 sets, 12 reps
    Biceps Curls 2 sets 12 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press - 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Twists - 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Abs workout (Weighted Situps 2x15 reps, Reverse crunches 1x15 reps ended with extended legs hold till exhaustion, bicycle crunches 1x15 reps ended with extended legs hold till exhaustion)

Friday:

Stiff-Leg Deadlift - 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Lying Press 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Butterfly 3 sets 12 reps
    Pullovers - 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Inverted Rows - 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Upright Rows - 2 sets, 8 reps
    Standing Overhead Extensions - 2 sets, 12 reps
    Bent-over Concentration Curls - 2 sets , 12 reps
    Wrist Curls - 2 sets, 12 reps
    Last edited by RudlzaVedno; 02-20-2020 at 06:52 AM.

eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RudlzaVedno View Post

(I'm eating around 80g of proteins a day and probably enough carbohydrates through potatoes, rice and pasta)?
    Eat more

One more question. I do 15 min full body stretching after every weightlifting session, but my body still feels kind of sore and muscles "hard on touch" (but have no typical muscle fever) all of the time. Is that normal?
    Yes. In fact, its mandatory.
    "I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shytheads"
    - COL Charles Beckwith

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
    -Thomas Jefferson

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Should I change my diet (I'm eating around 80g of proteins a day and probably enough carbohydrates through potatoes, rice and pasta)?
    Please go read the nutrition stickies, your diet is not helping you.

AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyMac499 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi RudlzaVedno, thanks for the post.

Hopefully I can help you out a bit.

First and foremost, I agree with eomrat that it seems like you should simply be eating more. I would suggest you go to BB.com's macronutrient calculator to see what your needs are for bulking. For starters, you need about twice the amount of protein you're taking in now. Your carbs will probably be about 250g or so and fats around 80g. Note that these should of course mostly be from clean whole foods such as grilled chicken, whole grains and healthy fats such as seafood and nuts.

However, I do disagree with eomrat that stretching is mandatory. It's absolutely not, and new research further supports this:

painscience.com/articles/stretching.php

Warming up before a workout however is very beneficial and properly gets the body ready for heavy lifting.

Now to the program you posted...

#1, Your volume is a bit too low for optimal muscle growth. I assume you're natural, but if not, then the volume is WAY too low.

For example, you're only doing 4 sets for side delts in a week. That will not do much if anything to grow them. I average about 16 sets per week for side delts.

However, again I must mention and divide out natural vs. enhanced lifters in regards to how you structure your workouts. I think you're on the right track, as far as more/less full body workouts, but you simply need more volume per muscle group to start seeing real results. Let me paste another site that will help with the proper volume:

renaissanceperiodization.com/rearside-delt-tips-hypertrophy/

I do a Push/Pull 6 day/week program and I'm seeing the best gains I've had in a long time. It's simply all of the pushing muscles on one day: Quads, Chest, Front/ Side Delts, Tris, Calves, and all of the pulling muscles another: Back, Biceps, Rear Delts, Hams, Abs. You can of course throw in extra forearm work on either if you want.

Anyway, my 2c

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to your inadequate nutrition (you need around double the amount of protein you're currently getting) and your crappy program, if you're absolutely stuck on doing your program at home and you're using dumbbells and you don't have a full set you'll never be able to properly progressively overload and build muscle. By a full set of dumbbells I mean something starting around 10-15 lbs and going all the way up to around 80-100 lbs.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Thank you all for your answers. I see I have to double or even triple my protein intake (BB calc says between 170 and 210). A lot of eating awaits me then. Regarding increasing number of sets, this will be very difficult as I compete in veteran sprint triathlon events so I need to do a lot of cycling/running/swimming besides weights lifting. My body just couldn't handle more weightlifting days right now.
    Last edited by RudlzaVedno; 02-21-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schweric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sup brah. Can you gym more than 3x a week? How many meals are you eating a day?

Unfortunately I just don't have time to hit a gym with 9/6 job, kids, angry wife plus my running/cycling/swimming sessions… That's why I use primarily barbell/dumbbells at home.
    I usually eat 4 times a day (breakfast, lunch at work, snack when I come home and dinner).

One more question regarding proteins intake. Can I get 100g of proteins in form of protein powder/shakes or is this too much? I can see myself getting 100g of proteins daily by meals, more would be a struggle.

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One more question regarding proteins intake. Can I get 100g of proteins in form of protein powder/shakes or is this too much? I can see myself getting 100g of proteins daily by meals, more would be a struggle.
    Real food is better than supplements, but supplements are better than not getting your protein at all. FYI, I easily get all my protein every day from real food, even when cutting. It's not really that hard, you just have to start by planning each meal with protein in mind first.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get about 50g of my 225g of daily protein from powder. I would say that you should try to get at least 75% of your daily protein from whole food sources if you can. Remember every bit of protein counts, from every source, its not just the fish/chicken/meat/eggs/etc; even that 6g of protein you get in a cup of oatmeal counts, so remember to track EVERYTHING.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thank you all for your answers. I see I have to double or even triple my protein intake (BB calc says between 170 and 210). A lot of eating awaits me then. Regarding increasing number of sets, this will be very difficult as I compete in veteran sprint triathlon events so I need to do a lot of cycling/running/swimming besides weights lifting. My body just couldn't handle more weightlifting days right now.
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that your problem is not really your diet or your workout, it's your rather nebulous goals. You're doing a lot of intense endurance training, and even your weight lifting seems to have more of an endurance component than a mass one.

You're obviously lean and fit, but your routine is not really conducive to a lot of hypertrophy.

So what is it you really want to accomplish? Strength, size, endurance? What you're doing now may be compromising all three.

That's not intrinsically a bad thing. For a lot of people that's right where they want to be... Good all around fitness, but not specialized at anything in particular. The question is where do YOU want to be?

BTW, while I agree with the others that your protein needs to be greater than it is, doubling it really isn't necessary. However, it won't hurt you either. The main thing you need is focus.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I started following program listed below a year ago and don't know if I'm getting satisfactory results from it. Can you please tell me your opinion?
    Your program seem to be fairly comprehensive at first look, but lacks volume if you are doing it 3x weekly. Say, Monday, you only have 3 sets of squats, 8-12 reps. That is all I can see for legs that day. Those are only 3 sets of squats for the whole week, say 24 reps in a week. Nothing for direct targeting hamstrings at all anywhere in your program. For quads I can only see a 3 sets of lunges, again for the whole week. You better either scrap this routine completely, or at least make it 6 days a week for any kind of meaningful volume.

A lot of 2-set exercises. This is more like a warm up for a real working sets. A nibble at the exercises here and there with no real work in between. With this routine, no matter how hard or heavy you go, muscle cannot get enough stimulae.

Your soreness is normal for such relaxed training routine, because there is a whole week between similar exercises. Your muscles, simply put, fall out of shape in between and get all sore again. I say, fix this before you try eating more, or you know how will this end.