Ady20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DIY Dip Bar - do you think it will hold?

Hello guys.

I want to do a dip bar.

I will use 9 pieces of 3/4 19.7 inch pipes
    2 pieces of 3/4 11.8 inch pipes
    2 pieces of 90 degree elbows of 3/4
    and 4 pieces of 3/4 Tee's

I attach a picture of the project I want to do.
    Do you guys think it will hold?

What do you think?
    Thank you.
    Attached Images

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no reason to have the 50cm handles/bars floating like that, put another stick down on the front. I still wouldn't necessarily trust it but it will be a lot stronger.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    There is no reason to have the 50cm handles/bars floating like that, put another stick down on the front. I still wouldn't necessarily trust it but it will be a lot stronger.
    I had a DIY dipstand a few years ago, it was quite sturdy. I used 2x6" wood framing stud in a stack of three to form a nominal 6x6 column for the uprights, the center of the three studs was 6" longer to form a tongue. The base was three 2x6" stacked together and the middle stack of each base piece had an open gap of (nominally) ~6" as a groove to fit the tongue from the upright at a right angle. I had a couple wood planks as stringers between the two base pieces and two uprights. All the wood was glued (titebond II) and screwed. The base was fairly long to make it stable.

I used a threaded 3/4 pipe nipple for the handles with a 3/4 flange. If done with 4 uprights it could probably support a lot of weight, I just used 2 uprights and left the bars floating as I was only 185ish at the time. The idea could be elaborated upon by extending the vertical uprights to incorporate a pullup/chinup bar.

The whole works was pretty heavy and stable. I will caution that if you spend too much money on this type of project you'd be better off buying a commercial product. Using a lot of pipe, elbow, and flange gets expensive.
    Last edited by ampire; 02-22-2020 at 05:49 AM. Reason: easier to read

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post

I will caution that if you spend too much money on this type of project you'd be better off buying a commercial product. Using a lot of pipe, elbow, and flange gets expensive.
    ^^^this. Especially when you can get a commercial piece for less than $100, probably a lot less for a 2nd hand item from CL.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    I had a DIY dipstand a few years ago, it was quite sturdy. I used 2x6" wood framing stud in a stack of three to form a nominal 6x6 column for the uprights, the center of the three studs was 6" longer to form a tongue. The base was three 2x6" stacked together and the middle stack of each base piece had an open gap of (nominally) ~6" as a groove to fit the tongue from the upright at a right angle. I had a couple wood planks as stringers between the two base pieces and two uprights. All the wood was glued (titebond II) and screwed. The base was fairly long to make it stable.

I used a threaded 3/4 pipe nipple for the handles with a 3/4 flange. If done with 4 uprights it could probably support a lot of weight, I just used 2 uprights and left the bars floating as I was only 185ish at the time. The idea could be elaborated upon by extending the vertical uprights to incorporate a pullup/chinup bar.

The whole works was pretty heavy and stable. I will caution that if you spend too much money on this type of project you'd be better off buying a commercial product. Using a lot of pipe, elbow, and flange gets expensive.
    Nice post. The handles on mine are just 2x4's. Seriously they work fine, people get a bit trapped in their thinking when they look for a bar/pipe for dips. The hand will easily sit on something flat as demonstrated in push ups. I just got back from doing them 165kg combined weight and if anything it's more comfortable than a steel bar.

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    https://www.roguefitness.com/the-2x3-strip-2-0

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-infinity-matador

You can thank me later. Spend some of your moldy money on something that will hold up.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Honestly, it depends on your current weight and goals.

If you weight 145 and just going to do body weight dips, a Walker from Goodwill will get it done for about $10

If you're 225 and looking to do weighted dips, you'll need something more substantial.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||