William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sugar Beneficial for Weight Loss?

I workout every year, but back in 2018 I lost a lot of weight by adding cardio, calisthenics, keeping my calories low and sticking to a nutritional diet, except on Saturdays. Each Saturday I would treat myself with a few candy bars that were high in sugar. The weight continued to drop, so I saw no reason to stop my Saturday sugary treats. When I reached the weight I was satisfied with I maintained it, and then I gradually built it up again during the winter months. So in 2019 I thought I would do the same thing, except this time I completely avoided sugary treats altogether. The strange thing was, it took much longer to lose weight that year. I thought it would take less time, and yet it took more time 'without' the spikes in sugar. Does anyone know why? Has it got something to do with my calories or sugar level jumping one day per week which made it easier to lose weight?

Rough idea

Last edited by William2018; 02-17-2020 at 04:20 PM.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How did your calories and ability to stick to the diet compare in 2019 to 2018? Is it possible that you were better able to stick to your diet in 2018 because on Sundays through Fridays you always knew that you had a treat coming up on Saturday?

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is this a joke? You probably controlled for almost nothing and yet you still think you can compare 1 year to another. Scientific method, not even once.
    Currently: traveling

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Netherlands + Croatia - 2020

William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Got my answer from Jeremy Ethier. He showed a study which confirmed that it takes longer to lose weight when on a continuous diet, and people lost more when they had 'diet breaks' which divided up each month.

Now I know why I found it easier to lose fat in 2018 because I was always 6 days on and 1 day off my diet each week for 4 months. In 2019 I was on a continuous diet without breaks for the same length of time and it took longer to lose fat because I was not breaking.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    How did your calories and ability to stick to the diet compare in 2019 to 2018? Is it possible that you were better able to stick to your diet in 2018 because on Sundays through Fridays you always knew that you had a treat coming up on Saturday?
    Had the same weekly budget in 2018/2019. I could only buy what I could afford to eat, so every week was the same food plan except for the added sugar/cals on Sats in 2018. I followed the same training schedule as fat loss was the goal during the same 4 months of both years. After researching I believe the major difference was due to my diet plan (spike on Saturdays) and that intermittent breaks in my diet was likely the main reason why I lost more fat that year because my metabolism was not decreasing as much thanks to the mini diet breaks which allowed more fat to metabolize into fuel.

I guess stabilizing my metabolism was the key.
    Last edited by William2018; 02-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by William2018 View Post
    Got my answer from Jeremy Ethier. He showed a study which confirmed that it takes longer to lose weight when on a continuous diet, and people lost more when they had 'diet breaks' which divided up each month.

Now I know why I found it easier to lose fat in 2018 because I was always 6 days on and 1 day off my diet each week for 4 months. In 2019 I was on a continuous diet without breaks for the same length of time and it took longer to lose fat because I was not breaking.

I am afraid that is not how it would have worked for you IMO. 'Diet breaks' wouldn't have produced that much extra of weight loss the study you have highlighted the participants were compared under conditions of one group being in a continuous deficit for 16 weeks and the second group being in a caloric deficit for 16 weeks over a 32 week period, 2 week on 2 week off.

This key difference is that the 2 week 'diet break' was controlled to ensure the participants were eating only TDEE maintenance calories and by being 2 weeks in length this may have offered a chance for REE rate of metabolic rate to be readjusted. This idea does have some credit from other experts including Lyle McDonald:-

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo...et-break.html/

That said his advice is usually for leaner individuals then the study above which was tested on obese individuals.

The simple fact a one day 'diet break' would do nothing in terms of hormonal and metabolic adaptations as this takes a prolonged length to recover (around 2-4 weeks).

Also this is one of the only study I know which found this result of continuous ER (energy restriction) vs intermittent ER whereas quite a few others have found no difference:-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25826770

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12582226

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2667313

Now saying intermittent energy restriction is not a possible method for weight loss in individuals trying to lose weight would be flawed however it would mean dieting for a longer period and likewise increase chance of overeating during this periods of non energy restriction. Someone would have to be very strict with there diet control to make any benefit from intermittent ER.

As to why you had different changes in weight loss from year to year who knows as Rhadam stated the variables of information you are offering for analysis is simply impossible to guess why and certainly is not scientific enough to conclude anything.
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 02-18-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by William2018 View Post

Had the same weekly budget in 2018/2019. I could only buy what I could afford to eat, so every week was the same food plan except for the added sugar/cals on Sats in 2018. I followed the same training schedule as fat loss was the goal during the same 4 months of both years. After researching I believe the major difference was due to my diet plan (spike on Saturdays) and that intermittent breaks in my diet was likely the main reason why I lost more fat that year because my metabolism was not decreasing as much thanks to the mini diet breaks which allowed more fat to metabolize into fuel.

Just no
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough