Thread: back workouts!

Charlieburg21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

back workouts!

Ive got a couple questions about workouts/exercises.

is rowing below your belly button (to the waist) more effective for lats? I've been trying to perform my bent rows an seated rows to the belly button and below, with a 45 degree back angle or so for the bent rows. I know rowing between the belly button and chest targets the mid and upper back, which is what I do for cable rows and wide grip rows.

another question, anybody split their workouts? like 1-2 exercises for lats/mid back (seated rows, barbell) and 1-2 for upper back? (t-bar, cable rows, etc).

last one, how does the angle of the back effect the muscles worked? some rows I perform with a 45 degree or so back angle, and others I'm about 60-75 degrees

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Feel around, focus on muscle awareness and you will feel there are big differences in contraction depending on hand position and all the other things you listed. Make sure you cover everything.

Splitting back up is uncommon, and it would also be a big mistake, because lats are already a very hard muscle to target (the arms weaken and give out first) so it's good to hit lats at different angles to fatigue them.

BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000) BeginnerGainz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Generally speaking BB rows hit the entirety of the back including upper traps and lats While also being better for the shoulders as well and should take precedence over vertical pulling movements. Most vertical pulls will work the lats better than horizontal pulling. YMMV.

As the guy above me said, the arms will give out before your back does. Get yourself some straps.

Charlieburg21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Generally speaking BB rows hit the entirety of the back including upper traps and lats While also being better for the shoulders as well and should take precedence over vertical pulling movements. Most vertical pulls will work the lats better than horizontal pulling. YMMV.

As the guy above me said, the arms will give out before your back does. Get yourself some straps.
    I got you. so is it beneficial to row the bar to the waist (with a pronated close grip)? or should I aim for a higher row?

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Charlieburg21 View Post
    I got you. so is it beneficial to row the bar to the waist (with a pronated close grip)?
    Depends on what you want to focus on. This will focus more on lats/mid-back if you keep elbows down and close to your side.

Originally Posted by Charlieburg21 View Post
    or should I aim for a higher row?
    You can do both. Good to have a row where your elbows are more out to the side away from your body to hit upper back.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Feeling the movement will usually tell you where it's working.
    When i do BB rows to the waist area,with upper body at a 45 degree angle,upper arms closer to the sides, i feel the lower area of the lats more where they tie into the waist.
    The whole back will get some stimulation though as we cannot totally isolate.
    If your bodybuilding you should do more work for the smaller areas to balance out your physique.
    it's ok though to do something for the stronger area just do more for the weaker area.
    If you have lots of upper back and smaller lats toward the bottom then target the low lat area.
    Angles effect the where the stress is being directed to the working muscle.
    You should experiment with different angles,barbells,dumbbells ,machines and pull down or bottom pulley row handles.
    You need to find what works for you the best.
    Because everyone is given a different structure different people may respond differently to different exercise movements.
    Good luck.