takisv is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is this a good full body workout for bulking?

As a beginner in lifting weights, I've recently finished up on a 1 year cut which saw me lose around 20kg and go down to ~10% body fat (DEXA scan). I was skinny-fat and now I'm just skinny but trying to bulk up. Right now I'm on a lean bulk and looking to gain as much muscle as possible while minimizing fat gains.

I bought a full rack to use at home so I could complete full body workouts three times a week. The exercise plan I am currently on is the following:

3 days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri)
    All exercises are 3 sets of 10 reps
    Lifts are performed in the following order

Barbell Deadlift
    Barbell Squat
    Barbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
    Pullups
    Dumbbell Curl
    Incline Seated Dumbbell Curl
    Tricep Lat Pulldown
    Dips
    Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press

I have been following this workout for around 2 months now and have seen fast improvement on how much weight I could lift. However, after a while I realised I would get quite tired and my back would be sore (not in pain) which made me think maybe I don't need to deadlift 3 times per week but 2 times should be ok instead (Mon/Fri).

Just wanted other opinions if this is a decent workout plan to follow. Am I targeting some muscles too much/too little? Are there too many exercises per workout? Should I replace some exercises with others? Thanks.
    Last edited by takisv; 02-17-2020 at 07:07 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Why not use All Pros routine (see sticky threads). This has similar lifts than you have here - but it also ticks all the boxes in terms of progression, balance, loading, periodization, fatigue management etc - all things you probably haven't given much thought to.

paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks pretty good, but I'd drop the incline bench and drop one of the bicep curl exercises. If you want to do incline, I would alternate between incline and flat bench each workout. I used to bench, incline bench and overhead press. It was too much for my anterior delt, so now I alternate between bench and incline bench. YMMV.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bench press 167.5 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    standing press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by takisv View Post
    However, after a while I realised I would get quite tired and my back would be sore (not in pain) which made me think maybe I don't need to deadlift 3 times per week but 2 times should be ok instead (Mon/Fri).
    You picked good exercises but DL, squat, 3 presses and dips 3x/week in the same workout is a bit brutal. You also have too many presses and no row.

SP's suggestion of AllPro above is a good one, since it's well thought out and goes beyond just picking exercises (it's pretty demanding for a beginner routine but factors in fatigue for its programming). Link below:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9172473&page=1

takisv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, much appreciated.

I've read through the AllPro routine which seems interesting but it got me thinking... 7 exercises per workout for 4 or 2 sets (2 warmup sets and 2 work sets or just 2 work sets) seems very little in terms of volume. I feel like I should be doing more exercises per workout and that reducing my exercises from 10 to 7 might slow down my progress, especially when increasing weights only occurs after every 5th week. That might just be me though so I'm happy to hear thoughts about this.

During the cutting phase last year I followed the Jefit Dumbbell-Only Full Body Home Workout which included for each workout 10 exercises at 3sets x 10 reps. I found this plan easy to maintain from month to month and could complete all lifts pretty much every single time.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've read through the AllPro routine which seems interesting but it got me thinking... 7 exercises per workout for 4 or 2 sets (2 warmup sets and 2 work sets or just 2 work sets) seems very little in terms of volume. I feel like I should be doing more exercises per workout and that reducing my exercises from 10 to 7 might slow down my progress, especially when increasing weights only occurs after every 5th week. That might just be me though so I'm happy to hear thoughts about this.

During the cutting phase last year I followed the Jefit Dumbbell-Only Full Body Home Workout which included for each workout 10 exercises at 3sets x 10 reps. I found this plan easy to maintain from month to month and could complete all lifts pretty much every single time.
    More exercises/volume doesn't mean better results, esp at your level - many novices make that mistake. On AP you're increasing reps every week before you go up in weight, which is also a form of progression. This will become harder to do as you lift heavier.

AllPro at a surplus should have you gaining muscle at a proper rate and is relatively hi volume for a good beginner routine IMO, but maybe you're a special type of skinny who needs extra volume than everyone else in order to gain muscle. It's your workout so you can def stick with your current routine if you prefer.
    Last edited by air2fakie; 02-17-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, much appreciated.

The fact is that you will not be able to progress by doing 12 push- exercises (bench press, inclined dumbbell press, dips and standing press) 3 times a week. Exhale quickly.
    bench press 167.5 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    standing press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps