Running4Peace is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Distance Runner To Weight Lift Meal Assistance

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a long distance runner, 25, and have been running for nearly 12 years now. I'm becoming more and more disinterested in running and want to dedicate my life to a new physical activity. I'm going to invest in weight lifting apps for all of my workout routines (cheaper, college student here) so I can learn basic exercises.*I need help though on A.) What I should eat and B.) The portions C.) The perpetual rotation of meal plans.*As a distance runner, I rely on primarily carbs for short and long duration fuel where as bodybuilding is nearly the complete opposite. Also, I'm 5"6 and 140 pounds, hope you all can help.

Fingers crossed,

Josh

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It would help to clarify you goals.

Bodybuilding style training will give you an all round athletic physique. Larger muscles can be turned to any athletic purpose (although mainly strength or power related rather than endurance). It will also make you more resilient to injury and the problems caused by poor posture. And later in life you'll be glad for staving off the effects of aging (muscle loss).

Or perhaps you are looking at something more specific like powerlifting? Or some other sport?

To answer your food related questions, read the sticky threads at the top of the Nutrition forum page. I would recommend an app like myfitnesspal for this

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    I went through a very similar mindset shift at about the same age. I grew up relatively slim, and was always highly athletic in an aerobic way. Then in my mid-20's priorities started to shift and without even realizing it I just started filling out. It seems like a common transition that trim males go through around that age.

Anyway, I'd say the biggest dietary difference I've noticed is that bodybuilding requires a minimal amount of intentionality, whereas high-mileage running is like a dietary "free pass". I've gone through phases of running with weekly mileage above 60, and without exception I've never been able to gain weight during those times (despite eating absurd amounts: >5,000 daily calories for several weeks, most calories from refined carbs+sugars). It's crazy how the body adapts to that kind of stimulus. The downside is that once the mileage comes down, the body is primed to gain weight on minimal calories.

So my biggest advice to you is to just pay attention. Gather as much data as possible about your caloric and macronutrient intake, and also be intentional with the scale and tape measure. Define your goal and have a plan for how to get there. If you get on a good program, lift hard, and eat well, you will probably see huge gains in the first year (if not the first few months).

Originally Posted by Running4Peace View Post
    A.) What I should eat
    B.) The portions
    C.) The perpetual rotation of meal plans
    What is your current calorie and macronutrient intake? I'd be willing to bet that you'll need to increase your protein intake significantly, but it's all guesswork until knowing the details of your current diet.

*As a distance runner, I rely on primarily carbs for short and long duration fuel where as bodybuilding is nearly the complete opposite.
    I wouldn't say it's "nearly the complete opposite". More like two sides of the same coin. If you're looking to build muscle, you'll need carbs to do that. Don't go stripping them out of your diet. Just try to get a nice balance of macros (use this forum's stickies if you need help with that) and test out variations to see what works best for you. What works best at one time may not be what works best at another time.

Also, as for the "investing in weight lifting apps", I don't think you need to spend any $$$ if you don't want to. This site and others have some great beginner programs you can follow. You can watch YouTube to learn the movements. Use a notebook or excel spreadsheet to track your workouts.

Good luck!

faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm going to invest in weight lifting apps for all of my workout routines (cheaper, college student here) so I can learn basic exercises.
    you mean paying money for "workout apps"? they aren't necessarily scams, but it's a lot easier to find a free program online and watch a few youtube videos
    positive crew