Barbarella1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Returning to exercise after long illness and accident.

Dear All, I am looking to connect with others who have returned to exercise and weightlifting after illness of injury. Lucky me, I had both. I wish to return to exercise in whatever capacity I can while healing continues. I would love to read stories and advice from those who have experienced this.

Thank you

bstatic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Working out safely after an injury under the advice of a doctor or better yet physiotherapist is amazing. It can really blow an injury out of the water. I couldn't bend certain ways and my sternum would pop in and out. It really didn't take much to get better once I did start lifting weights lightly. If I hadn't it would of taken months and months. You may have to reinvent yourself if you're an athlete but a lot actually amaze their doctors and such. Now if you were squatting 600lbs or something and tore a whole muscle off your bones thenn you're taking a huge risk of it happening again.

Use compression clothing, wraps and orthotics.

martninick64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you return to work during chronic illness flares or becoming active after a lengthy disability–when performed correctly–exercising will make the body recover quicker and feel better. It's crucial to know the limits and improve the fitness to slowly avoid damage. Check with the doctor, be patient and take into account the specific health conditions, so you can restart or continue an exercise plan.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hospitalization-level back injury and arthroscopic knee surgery here. I continued working out uninjured areas, did my physical therapy exercises faithfully, and then re-started VERY slowly and with very light weights after healed.

Best wishes to you!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621