dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)

Powerblock sticker creation

So I finally got my hands on a set of Powerblock "The Block" dumbbells. They were fairly rusted but for $140, I didn't want to pass them up. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago and have been looking to buy a pair for nostalgia.

Tried scrubbing with Liquid Wrench rust inhibitor this time. I have to say the results were way better than WD40 imo.

(Picture from original owner)

I spoke with Powerblock and they said that they no longer have any 45lb stickers in stock since the product was discontinued so long ago and from what I gather, the pair I bought, did not come with a color-coded weight sticker on each dumbbell.. rather it was glued to the dumbbell base. So I decided to create my own.

I looked online and found a picture of a sticker of the discontinued 45lb "The Block" dumbbells with the white handles and copied the sticker as best as I could. It seems to have come out pretty nicely.

I used MS paint for everything.. on a touch pad laptop. The caution sign and flag were taken from a Google image search.

I printed them out and used packing tape as a cheap form of protection:

Looking pretty good:

One issue I had is that when I glued them on, the ink either bled or I'm just seeing the black through the paper because it's still wet:

So that being said.... One of the "The Block" stickers is shredded at the bottom and the other is torn through but I can't figure out which font was used... I've gone through over 100.

Does anyone have any idea? Is it a custom font?
    Last edited by dagdafitness; 02-14-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    -632931 to -285725 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)

Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000) Duplicitous is just really nice. (+1000)
    I didn't find an exact match, but there are some that are close enough you could reprint both labels and have them look close to the originals.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcher...n9kgo7x53f0p9o

dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I didn't find an exact match, but there are some that are close enough you could reprint both labels and have them look close to the originals.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcher...n9kgo7x53f0p9o
    Wow. Didn't know there was such thing as a font identifier from a photo.. some of the fonts are damn close to what I want.. so close that nobody would know otherwise.

Thanks! Will rep on refresh
    -632931 to -285725 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)

EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dagdafitness View Post
    So I finally got my hands on a set of Powerblock "The Block" dumbbells. They were fairly rusted but for $140, I didn't want to pass them up. I had a pair of these about 10 years ago and have been looking to buy a pair for nostalgia.

Tried scrubbing with Liquid Wrench rust inhibitor this time. I have to say the results were way better than WD40 imo.

(Picture from original owner)

I spoke with Powerblock and they said that they no longer have any 45lb stickers in stock since the product was discontinued so long ago and from what I gather, the pair I bought, did not come with a color-coded weight sticker on each dumbbell.. rather it was glued to the dumbbell base. So I decided to create my own.

I looked online and found a picture of a sticker of the discontinued 45lb "The Block" dumbbells with the white handles and copied the sticker as best as I could. It seems to have come out pretty nicely.

I used MS paint for everything.. on a touch pad laptop. The caution sign and flag were taken from a Google image search.

I printed them out and used packing tape as a cheap form of protection:

Looking pretty good:

One issue I had is that when I glued them on, the ink either bled or I'm just seeing the black through the paper because it's still wet:

So that being said.... One of the "The Block" stickers is shredded at the bottom and the other is torn through but I can't figure out which font was used... I've gone through over 100.

Does anyone have any idea? Is it a custom font?
    Nice work. Can you print these on label paper or photo sticker paper (I think there is such a thing). On spread.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym pics: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177315891&p=1583348411&viewfull=1#post1583348411

Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Nice work. Can you print these on label paper or photo sticker paper (I think there is such a thing). On spread.
    Good idea. I'll buy some photo sticker paper and see if that works better.

I'll post the results on this thread.

Last edited by dagdafitness; 02-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

I got the font pretty darn close to the original with a good base font and a little bit of editing.

My sticker paper arrived.. it said instant dry so I printed out my stickers and began cutting them.

Unfortunately, instant dry doesn't mean it doesn't rub off....... So I'll let it sit a bit longer and see if the ink stays on. Otherwise I may get a clear spray or use packing tape again.

Will update tomorrow when I have some free time.

Edit: after an hour, they stickers are still rubbing off
    Last edited by dagdafitness; 02-20-2020 at 02:46 PM.

EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I got the font pretty darn close to the original with a good base font and a little bit of editing.

My sticker paper arrived.. it said instant dry so I printed out my stickers and began cutting them.

Unfortunately, instant dry doesn't mean it doesn't rub off....... So I'll let it sit a bit longer and see if the ink stays on. Otherwise I may get a clear spray or use packing tape again.

Will update tomorrow when I have some free time.

Edit: after an hour, they stickers are still rubbing off
    Looks good. Hopefully they dry or you can prevent them from rubbing off.
    My gym pics: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177315891&p=1583348411&viewfull=1#post1583348411

Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Looks good. Hopefully they dry or you can prevent them from rubbing off.
    The never dried. Maybe I should have gotten name brand photo paper lol

I ended up using packing tape to seal them. Accidently smudged the first few when taping.

The Block sticker looks cleaner than anticipated:

No need for glue because of the sticker paper.. so no black splotches:

All done:

Just need to clean the handles and decide if I want to replace the foam wrist guards.

Thanks Duplicitous and EricAtl for the help!

Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000) Greybird2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice job! They look great! I have had those since they first came out. I still use them and prefer the balanced feel they have for lighter stuff, vs the U-90's I have also. I got the 20lb handles which make the set go to 60. I don't think those come up very often used..

The never dried. Maybe I should have gotten name brand photo paper lol

I ended up using packing tape to seal them. Accidently smudged the first few when taping.

The Block sticker looks cleaner than anticipated:

No need for glue because of the sticker paper.. so no black splotches:

All done:

Just need to clean the handles and decide if I want to replace the foam wrist guards.

Thanks Duplicitous and EricAtl for the help!
    Nice job.