Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Should I aim to progress with chin-ups or lat pulldowns for my vertical pulls?

Hey everyone, I'm currently doing Candito's Linear Strength/Hypertrophy program (basically PHUL with some exercise substitutions) but I would like to focus on improving my chin ups as my main vertical pull exercise. I currently can only do sets of 4 for bodyweight chin ups. Should I stick to this exercise or should I try to do it on my strength day and lat pulldowns on my hypertrophy upper day?

I own a pull up bar at home; is it worth doing chin ups during my off days or is it best to only train in the gym? At what point should I start doing weighted chins?

BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can use whatever one you want, they are basically the same movement pattern. If you can’t get the prescribed reps with chins (Full ROM from a dead hang) then use the lat pull downs with he aim of increasing the weights over time. Or if you can’t do more than 4 chins in a set why not try using a resistance band as assistance until you build the strength up?

Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Odifududix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    You can use whatever one you want, they are basically the same movement pattern. If you can’t get the prescribed reps with chins (Full ROM from a dead hang) then use the lat pull downs with he aim of increasing the weights over time. Or if you can’t do more than 4 chins in a set why not try using a resistance band as assistance until you build the strength up?
    Aight that makes sense. Would it impede recovery if I were to perform pull ups on off days from the gym? I had the idea of "greasing the groove" where I just do a set of 1-3 chin ups (not to failure) every few minutes or so.

Also would doing weighted chins once I can do sets of 8 bodyweight be a good starting point?

beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50) beowulf359 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you can only do a few per set you can add negatives to the end of each set (or the last set) to squeeze in more volume. I would only proceed to weighted once you can do 10-12 bodyweight chin-ups/pull-ups with good form.

I personally treated pull-ups like any other back exercise and just did them on workout days. Assuming you don’t overdo it you could do them more frequently I guess. Just make sure you allow for some recovery.

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    basically grease the groove, if you can only do 4 reps, throughout the day you can just simply do sets of 2, you'll be able to quickly work up to more reps.

probably wouldn't affect recovery but test it out