fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Squeeze or not to squeeze?

Hey Guys,

My question is should one aim to squeeze the muscle when doing the exercise or just feel it being worked? Theatrically Example: If I was to lift 10kgs via triceps pusdowns I am able to squeeze my triceps at the end of the motion but since I have completed the required sets and reps for my periodization program I am required to increase weight. Since the weight does not go up in the increments I quire I have to increase weight more that I want e.g 15kgs but even so with this weight I am able to lift this weight but am unable to "squeeze" at the end of the motion but still feel my triceps being worked? Thoughts? Cheers.

Theres a toll in the hall SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I doubt it makes a big difference but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely either. There is a relatively poorly known mechanism for growth which is also used in methods like myo reps - where internal tension due to the muscle being pumped up counts towards your total volume / growth stimulus.

Generally speaking, hard work and effort yields results but some things are more efficient than others. My default position will always be to do full range of motion with a moderately high weight. "Extras" like tempo, squeezing, reduced rest times may or may not be worth the extra effort but probably shouldn't reduce your total reps that you can perform with a weight.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can squeeze the muscle, all well and good. However you also need to progress in weight, and as that weight increases you have to do whatever is nesseccary (in a safe manner of course) to get that weight up. If you can no longer squeeze the muscle, perhaps that's something you have to forgo to make progress. You could always go through periods where you drop the weight (a deload if you like) and focus more on squeezing the muscle again.

fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I doubt it makes a big difference but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely either. There is a relatively poorly known mechanism for growth which is also used in methods like myo reps - where internal tension due to the muscle being pumped up counts towards your total volume / growth stimulus.

Generally speaking, hard work and effort yields results but some things are more efficient than others. My default position will always be to do full range of motion with a moderately high weight. "Extras" like tempo, squeezing, reduced rest times may or may not be worth the extra effort but probably shouldn't reduce your total reps that you can perform with a weight.
    Ok.

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    If you can squeeze the muscle, all well and good. However you also need to progress in weight, and as that weight increases you have to do whatever is nesseccary (in a safe manner of course) to get that weight up. If you can no longer squeeze the muscle, perhaps that's something you have to forgo to make progress. You could always go through periods where you drop the weight (a deload if you like) and focus more on squeezing the muscle again.
    Yeah man this makes not more sense but a good way to do things as we should deload every 4-6 weeks, going up from there and squeezing would address this issue.

paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Follow the advice of MrCarrot. Look at his avatar. He's jacked.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Follow the advice of MrCarrot. Look at his avatar. He's jacked.
    Hahaha would have to agree as this is the internet and we basically go by face value. Nevertheless hes a reputable guy that posts a bunch and highly regarded from what I can tell.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If all you needed to get jacked was "squeezing" muscles, then all you would have to do is isometric movements.