Thread: Question

Badeggsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

Maybe a dumb question..

I'm new to working out, so just started a month ago.

Every workout I do, I get from YouTube. I always look up proper form before doing them.

The question is.

I feel stronger, sore, and I been feeling great. I took a week off due for my kids.

But why do I feel weaker now?, I was struggling to do 5 push ups(arms feels like jello) and before I was doing 20 straight easily. Is it because of the break or my body just adjusting?

Thank you

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's prob not your body adjusting, but you should give more info about your specific workouts (and possibly diet). A week break shouldn't mean 20 pushups to 5.

The biggest problem is that you've been working out for only a month but "Every workout I do, I get from YouTube." You should be doing a consistent, structured program if you expect to progress - not different things every time you go to the gym.

Also, if you're not following a good routine you may be doing too much, going too often, and also not giving muscle groups enough time to recover.

Registered User risingstarl96a1's Avatar
    risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Been there OP, I did Pull ups for 10x10 for a few days. Was trying to keep the consistent, but after few days rest it’s hard for the body to adjust to jump back on the challenge. Same thing when I did 10x10 lunges.
    “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” -Charles Darwin, 1809

William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Was in the same boat last year. I could do 40 rep push-ups and a week later I could only manage 10 reps per set. At first I thought I wasn't eating enough protein and that my muscles just needed more time to repair, but that wasn't the case. I then thought that I could fix the problem by doing longer warm-ups to get the blood circulating, drinking more water before and between sets, and taking deeper breaths of air. My workouts did improve, but I was still getting good days and bad days. It turned out the answer was simple. My body was adapting to the workouts and my TDEE was increasing, but I neglected to increase my daily calorie intake to compensate for the increased TDEE. My body wanted more calories and I wasn't providing enough. When I increased my calorie intake (eating an additional meal about an hour before I worked out) I was able to stay consistent and progress in my workouts. Eating more solved my problem. I also had different sleeping patterns which didn't help at the time (5-6 hours sleep one day, and 8 the next). I fixed my sleeping routine as well, which also benefited my workouts.
    Last edited by William2018; 02-13-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Badeggsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by William2018 View Post
    Was in the same boat last year. I could do 40 rep push-ups and a week later I could only manage 10 reps per set. At first I thought I wasn't eating enough protein and that my muscles just needed more time to repair, but that wasn't the case. I then thought that I could fix the problem by doing longer warm-ups to get the blood circulating, drinking more water before and between sets, and taking deeper breaths of air. My workouts did improve, but I was still getting good days and bad days. It turned out the answer was simple. My body was adapting to the workouts and my TDEE was increasing, but I neglected to increase my daily calorie intake to compensate for the increased TDEE. My body wanted more calories and I wasn't providing enough. When I increased my calorie intake (eating an additional meal about an hour before I worked out) I was able to stay consistent and progress in my workouts. Eating more solved my problem. I also had different sleeping patterns which didn't help at the time (5-6 hours sleep one day, and 8 the next). I fixed my sleeping routine as well, which also benefited my workouts.
    This actually make alot of sense because i was cutting down on calories, i wanted to cut about 10lbs and i did it...Maybe i should start increasing my calories now, since i hit my weight goal...thanks man!!

Theres a toll in the hall SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    A week off can take the edge off your proficiency with some exercises. It comes back pretty quickly though so don't sweat it.

This is because part of getting stronger is "neural adaptations" - i.e. your brain becomes better at using the muscle you currently have for performing the exercises more efficiently. There is an upper limit on this obviously (can't get better than 100% efficiency) and longer term strength improvements will come from muscle mass gain.