Yayayayayaya is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Importance of rest for beginners?

I've done a bit of research on how many times people should workout per week to avoid overtraining but have seen some mixed responses. Some sources say only train a muscle group up to twice a week while others say that beginners can afford to train more because the damage isn't as severe as it is for more experienced people. i'm currently just doing compound exercises to build some strength, anyone have any advice on whether training a muscle group 3+ times a week benefit or disadvantage me as a beginner?

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Yayayayayaya View Post
    I've done a bit of research on how many times people should workout per week to avoid overtraining but have seen some mixed responses. Some sources say only train a muscle group up to twice a week while others say that beginners can afford to train more because the damage isn't as severe as it is for more experienced people. i'm currently just doing compound exercises to build some strength, anyone have any advice on whether training a muscle group 3+ times a week benefit or disadvantage me as a beginner?
    As far as I know the research has pretty much found that 2x>1x but 3x=2x. No significant advantage beyond a 2x frequency. At this point I wouldn't worry about messing around doing your own programming since there's far more than frequency to consider.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Frequency doesn't cause overtraining - unless you do the same in each session but just do more sessions. If you go higher frequency you have to keep the weekly totals about the same.