VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting back in, advice on program please?

I posted a long intro in the "Introduce Yourself" section, so I won't make this as verbose. I'm looking for feedback if you guys would be so kind.

I'm 37, 5'11", 187lbs, 24% BF

I have got away from strength training, but gotten to where I have a fast 5k, I can hold my own in HIIT, play hard for an entire hockey game as defense without a substitute (if I have a day or two of rest prior). But I've been doing too much in life (both physically and mentally), doing too many failed diets, and too stressed. Between that and my BF%, I think self induced low T may be to blame for the extreme fatigue I felt lately.

I've had a way easier time putting on muscle than losing fat historically. My plan is to gain muscle (while staying the same weight) to improve my BF% and improve my hormonal profile. I feel like once I do that it will be easier to diet without feeling horrible because my T levels can sustain the hit better that comes from a caloric defecit. I also plan on getting more rest and I'm going to stop renovating houses on the side for a while.

I was thinking of doing something like Stronglifts 5x5 but with 10 reps per set instead of 5. My thinking was the compound movements will induce an acute hormonal boost while the higher reps will induce more muscle growth to help with my body composition. What do you guys think of that plan?

I also have terrible flexibility and I love hockey too much to quit completely. I'm doing a break-in lifting routine 3x/week for a couple weeks and playing 1 hockey game/week. Once I get past the first couple weeks I was thinking something like:

Sunday - Hockey game
    Monday - Stronglifts w/10 reps ea
    Tuesday - Yoga
    Wednesday - Stronglifts w/ 10 reps ea
    Thursday - Solo on-ice skills practice (doesn't have to be intense)
    Friday - Stronglifts w/ 10 reps ea
    Saturday - Rest

Do you think that's too much? Thanks

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Until you really know what you're doing, it's probably best to run the program as written. There's a place for higher rep programming, but I'd say either find a program that's intelligently designed from the start for higher reps or adopt one that's considered "generic" and has proven results for a diverse group of people.

Taking a well-designed program and then arbitrarily tweaking it towards something it was not designed to be will most likely change it for the worse, not the better. It's a 5x5 program for a reason, and as I understand it the reason is that it works, that's its simple, and that it's relatively easy to stick to consistently. And that's what you need as a beginning lifter.

(And yes, I know you implied you used to lift, but I doubt that it's something you studied in much depth at the time. For all practical purposes, you are either still a beginner, or you are one again.)

And sure, there are no issues at all with the other activities you mentioned.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitalitySeeker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Is there a program that you would recommend over Stronglifts if muscle mass is my goal (instead of strength). I know you'll get both with any program but I didn't know if there's one that's going to help more in the mass department.. Thanks!

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by VitalitySeeker View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Is there a program that you would recommend over Stronglifts if muscle mass is my goal (instead of strength). I know you'll get both with any program but I didn't know if there's one that's going to help more in the mass department.. Thanks!
    Allpro

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Another program that has a different style of progression than the weekly weight jump that Stronglifts has.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Originally Posted by BillPhoto View Post
    Allpro

Another program that has a different style of progression than the weekly weight jump that Stronglifts has.
    Nice, that's an interesting program. I might have to give that a shot. Thanks!!