LDM0991 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Novice progression

I’ve been working out on and off spinning wheels and working on form techniques for quite a while but have started to dial in on my diet and stick to a solid plan lately.
    I’m currently Sitting at 20-25% Bodyfat but am still eating in a slight calorie surplus to ensure my lifts are progressing,
    At what level strength should I look at dropping the calories slightly to lose some bf %

Im 5’8” body weight is around 81kg

From my latest workouts my calculation for the main lifts are

Squat - 1RM - 96kg
    Bench - 1RM - 84kg
    Deadlift - 1RM - 123kg

Im still at a stage where I’m consistently adding weight/reps/sets,
    but would like to drop fat without hindering my noob gains too much, any thoughts on what’s best to do.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Dropping fat doesn't hinder newbie gains but it might put them on hold or slow them down depending on the size of your calorie deficit.

Newbie gains are just combination of initial neural learning (takes a couple of months) and initial ability to add muscle faster than a more experienced lifter. Neither of these things go away if you diet for a while them come back to bulking

LDM0991 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Dropping fat doesn't hinder newbie gains but it might put them on hold or slow them down depending on the size of your calorie deficit.

Newbie gains are just combination of initial neural learning (takes a couple of months) and initial ability to add muscle faster than a more experienced lifter. Neither of these things go away if you diet for a while them come back to bulking
    Thanks for the response, I think I’m going to slowly reduce and see if I see any negatives/benefits.

I wasn’t sure if there was like a rule of thumb e.g fist stall or benching body weight for reps etc
    I’ve seen posts in the past where people have said just concentrate on getting stronger and then worry about losing fat after and then have seen posts that having >20% bodyfat can hinder muscle building.