Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User Datboileg's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 31
    Rep Power: 0
    Datboileg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Datboileg is offline

    what do you guy think about this workout?

    so i've been doing this workout for about a year.

    i'm 18, 185cm 90kg, i train in a home gym so i have limited equipment.


    i went from 70kg to almost 90kg using this program. lately i stopped seeing results, i'm not sure if it's because i got lazy with diet and skipped a few workouts (i guess that's what happens when you get married lol) , or if i should change my workout plan.

    i workout every other day. for around an hour and a half

    i hit failure on almost every set (that being form failure)

    3 sets of squats x8 almost hitting failure (i rest for 3 mins between sets)

    3 sets bench x6 until failure 3 mins rest

    3 sets Pendley rows x10 until failure 3 mins rest

    3 sets of calf raise x25 with 40 kg on me

    3 sets of hammer curls x10 until failure 3 min rest

    then on other days

    3 sets squat x8 almost hitting failure 3 min rest

    3 set seated shoulder press x8 hitting failure 3 min rest

    3 sets of deadlift x8 almost hitting failure 3 min rest

    3 sets of dumbbell curls x10 hitting failure

    3 sets of lateral raise x10 hitting failure



    then if i have extra time i add on top of that some pull ups, chin ups, and push ups
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User WolfRose7's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 27
    Posts: 9,171
    Rep Power: 44469
    WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WolfRose7 is offline
    You're shooting yourself in the foot hitting failure every set.. Even every workout would be excessive.

    Progress is about accumalting quality work that's hard enough to drive growth n strength over time. That doesn't mean failure. 4 to 1 rep in the tank is ideal, with lower rep high intensity work being further from failure generally and high rep and more isolation work being close to failure.

    Your programming is going to drive far more fatigue than it is quality work, so it will work for a bit then you will stall out quickly and have to drop everything early to reset fatigue
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

    FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Datboileg's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 31
    Rep Power: 0
    Datboileg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Datboileg is offline
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    You're shooting yourself in the foot hitting failure every set.. Even every workout would be excessive.

    Progress is about accumalting quality work that's hard enough to drive growth n strength over time. That doesn't mean failure. 4 to 1 rep in the tank is ideal, with lower rep high intensity work being further from failure generally and high rep and more isolation work being close to failure.

    Your programming is going to drive far more fatigue than it is quality work, so it will work for a bit then you will stall out quickly and have to drop everything early to reset fatigue
    i see, there is just so much conflicting data on the subject it's hard to decide who to believe, i was looking it up the other day, half of the internet says hit failure if you wanna grow, half say's don't, so i really don't know which one i should go for....

    especially because i don't like to track results, i workout because i see it as a kind of part time job, to stay strong and healthy, so i don't really check every week if my lift improve, i just look at my weight and if it goes up or stays the same i'm happy....

    you say i should go for 4 to 1 rep, isn't that for strength training? i read for hypertrophy you had to stay in the 6 to 12 rep range
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 48,583
    Rep Power: 1260844
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    My view is this: people who TRULY hit failure are rare - because it's hard (especially at higher reps by the way) and what most people think is failure actually isn't really. It may even be the case that your neural system prevents you from doing it at all. If you can hit "failure" and then come back and do another set with almost the same number of reps then it wasn't true failure. Perhaps you are one of those people who have inbuilt self limiting.

    True failure is very taxing and not worth the energy expended. You often just ruin your ability to do more volume in that session. In terms of results for each set you do, failure is probably the best - HOWEVER when you measure results for a particular session (and over the long term), you probably do better if you stop a rep or two short of true failure and do more sets instead.

    So the bottom line is work hard, don't be shy of those last few painful and difficult reps - but don't destroy yourself in just 1 set.

    I like to see my reps drop from one set to the next something like this: 12, 9, 7 - this would be about the right pattern for me.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Datboileg's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 31
    Rep Power: 0
    Datboileg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Datboileg is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    My view is this: people who TRULY hit failure are rare - because it's hard (especially at higher reps by the way) and what most people think is failure actually isn't really. It may even be the case that your neural system prevents you from doing it at all. If you can hit "failure" and then come back and do another set with almost the same number of reps then it wasn't true failure. Perhaps you are one of those people who have inbuilt self limiting.

    True failure is very taxing and not worth the energy expended. You often just ruin your ability to do more volume in that session. In terms of results for each set you do, failure is probably the best - HOWEVER when you measure results for a particular session (and over the long term), you probably do better if you stop a rep or two short of true failure and do more sets instead.

    So the bottom line is work hard, don't be shy of those last few painful and difficult reps - but don't destroy yourself in just 1 set.

    I like to see my reps drop from one set to the next something like this: 12, 9, 7 - this would be about the right pattern for me.

    i agree, that's why i take very long rest periods, because i wouldn't be able to do half the reps i did, as i'd be very winded and tired even after the first set, say i do bench, first set i do 10 reps, the second probably 8, and the third 6-7 because i'm wornout

    so would you say my workout plan is good and i should stick to it?

    what determinates when i should change things up, when i hit a wall? i've been slacking a bit lately, i could squat 150kg but i'm not sure it's the case anymore, i started working and got married so it's hard to find time to workout. i'm planning to get back on track and keep training hard like i did a few months ago, hopefully i can improve, the hardest lift i find is the bench, i just can't improve it. and the easiest one is the squat for me, it improves so much without much effort, i can squat 150kg, but my bench is pretty pathetic despite the fact i train both muscle groups the same
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User WolfRose7's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 27
    Posts: 9,171
    Rep Power: 44469
    WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WolfRose7 is offline
    Originally Posted by Datboileg View Post
    i agree, that's why i take very long rest periods, because i wouldn't be able to do half the reps i did, as i'd be very winded and tired even after the first set, say i do bench, first set i do 10 reps, the second probably 8, and the third 6-7 because i'm wornout

    so would you say my workout plan is good and i should stick to it?

    what determinates when i should change things up, when i hit a wall? i've been slacking a bit lately, i could squat 150kg but i'm not sure it's the case anymore, i started working and got married so it's hard to find time to workout. i'm planning to get back on track and keep training hard like i did a few months ago, hopefully i can improve, the hardest lift i find is the bench, i just can't improve it. and the easiest one is the squat for me, it improves so much without much effort, i can squat 150kg, but my bench is pretty pathetic despite the fact i train both muscle groups the same
    errm your rest periods aren't long at all, short for the big compounds if anything.

    I don't think the data on training to failure is conflicting at all, now there might be a million random articles saying do this or that, but I don't see those as being part of training research.

    Schoenfeld, Greg Nuckols, Erik Helms, Barbell Medicine are among those who work hard at publishing, often for free, useful and well sourced training information
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

    FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,329
    Rep Power: 2320
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by Datboileg View Post
    so would you say my workout plan is good and i should stick to it?
    No.

    Originally Posted by Datboileg View Post
    especially because i don't like to track results
    Change this too.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Last edited by kenjoshx's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Posts: 914
    Rep Power: 763
    kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kenjoshx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    kenjoshx is offline
    legit thought you were a Chinese girl because of the forgotten 's' in title
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User Datboileg's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 31
    Rep Power: 0
    Datboileg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Datboileg is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    No.



    Change this too.
    .
    why?
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 1,329
    Rep Power: 2320
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by Datboileg View Post
    .
    why?
    Why should change your workout and track results?

    So you can get on a balanced program with a sensible progression scheme, make consistent progress and avoid aimlessly trying to hit failure with every set of every exercise.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts