cdawg6887 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Some help with home gym

I putting about 2k into a garage gym and im looking for a cage, weights and an adjustable bench. I checked out the cheapo post but that was dated back in 2016. If anyone has advice on good deals for a cage, weights an adjustable bench it would really help. I would mainly be doing compound lifts.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The cheapo thread was started in 2016, but there are posts in that thread right up to a couple months ago.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

cdawg6887 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I was thinking about getting the fitness reality 810xlt super max power cage but im wondering how much weight the supports can hold because I would want supports for working out alone and no spot

JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Where are you located? CL and FBMP are always the best option if you have a tight budget.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cdawg6887 View Post
    I putting about 2k into a garage gym and im looking for a cage, weights and an adjustable bench. I checked out the cheapo post but that was dated back in 2016. If anyone has advice on good deals for a cage, weights an adjustable bench it would really help. I would mainly be doing compound lifts.
    The fundamentals are the fundamentals, and crap is crap. Until you've spent some time using "home gym" equipment, you won't really know what you want or like or need. It doesn't make sense to spend money on new equipment until you have a baseline of knowledge. Maybe you have it, maybe you don't, but based on your post, you don't.

Rule #1 - Know your goals before you start. Do you want to get strong, look good, be "toned?" That should drive your planning for a home gym. I am assuming strength and maybe fitnes are your goals.

Rule #2 - Go simple when starting out. Unless you already have accumulated knowledge about what you are looking for in terms of equipment, you don't know which manufacturers and which machines or other pieces of equipment are really necessary. There is a lot of written "guidance" out there on what you need. Most of that guidance recommends more than you really should start out with. You need a safe power rack, a flat bench, a good bar, and a set of Olympic weights. You might a rubber horse stall mat to do deadlifts from, but you don't need it. That's it. You can do all the Starting Strength lifts with this, plus you can do pull ups off the rack. Later you can go for dumbbells, machines, dip station, etc.

Rule #2 - Buy used as much as you can. Used equipment typically goes for 50% of new in the U.S. Canada and Europe are not so discounted. You very likely will buy and sell equipment over time as you figure out what works and what doesn't work. You'll learn a lot during this time and there's no need to spend more money than you have to. Good used exercise equipment is one of the best things out there, but you need to know what fair prices are. Many sellers overvalue their stuff, and more than a few undervalue.

Rule #4 - Less is really more. See Rule #2. When you have space and money, and you know you're into working out at home as a long term thing, go wild. You aren't there yet.

Rule #5 - Always go for the best quality you can afford. There are two reasons for this rule. The first is safety. Buying cheap crap, especially new cheap crap, can be dangerous. Equipment can, and does, fail. Bars have snapped and racks and benches have collapsed. The second reason is that quality if often noticeable. Or, in the reverse, lower quality can stand out in a negative way.

Rule #6 - Be patient. If you really are serious about fitness, you're in it for life. Be patient and accumulate more and better equipment as you can afford to do so. American society is all about instant gratification. Fitness is about putting in the work over years and years. Lots of people have gotten strong and fit through running and bodyweight exercises. You don't need the perfect gym overnight or even over a few months. I have a perfect gym, for me at least. It took me five or six years to attain. And I went through three iterations (1st gen: Powertec bench press, Rogue Beater bar, CAP plates; 2nd gen: Body-Solid Rack, York bar, York plates; 3rd gen: custom Legend Fitness machines and rack, all vintage York bars, plates, dumbbells).

Pretty simple, really, if you're willing to put in the work.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    Where are you located? CL and FBMP are always the best option if you have a tight budget.
    This. Even if you have to factor in a tank of gas. Even on a big budget it's a good idea to look.