DanCarter1723 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Getting Very Frustrated

As the title says, frustration has set in. Almost a month and a half from when I started my diet and I'm maybe 3 pounds down. To add, that three pounds came off very early on, so I'm convinced it only was a result of changing my diet and eat right after a bad holiday season.

A little history of myself. I weighed 300 pounds back in 2011; I decided I must make a change. I had never worked out a day in my life, and never even thought about lifting weights. So lets just say, my body composition was mostly made up of fat. When I started to work out and eat right, the weight fell off, and I mean fast. A year later, I had dropped just over 100 pounds.

Now back to current date. I have sense gained a significant amount of weight back. Unfortunately, I'm back up to 274. The only difference, My body composition has greatly differed than back before I lost weight the first time. I regularly lift now, so there's quite a bit more muscle on my frame than before.

So My current dilemma is, I can not lose weight and I feel like I am doing what I need to do to make it happen. I keep my calories intake around 1,800-1,900(Protein around 195g, Carbs 150g, Fat 50g), I lift and do cardio at least 3 times a week. When I workout, I feel like I bust my ass. Maybe I could bump up my cardio, right now I am doing a mile on the stair master. I burn about 550-600 calories per workout.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm starting to get to the point where my ideas to fix this are not rational i.e. thinking the difference is I used to never eat white potatoes because I associated them with bad carbs. So now I'm thinking I change my diet to include sweet potatoes instead of white.

With all this info presented, I am looking for guidance. I could bump up how many days I am working out, in fact this is a goal of mine already. But I think 3 days plus my strict diet alone would be enough for me to lost weight.

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this!

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're not going to like this.... But the only viable solution is to eat less, or move more but with eating less being much easier.

It's quite likely you're not tracking accurately and your weekly average daily calories are much higher than you've stated.

You're also likely burning far fewer than calories from the stair master than you imagine... For example... Let's say in that time on the stair master it says you burned 600 calories. But if you had not used the stair master and just sat around you would have burned 400 just doing nothing. So did you really burn 600?
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 235x9, 250x6, 270x1
    Squat - 295x8, 340x5, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x11, 445x8 455x7, 485x5, 495x1
    OHP - 145x10, 150x9, 155 5x5, 170x6, 190x1(@180 bw)
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 190 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=5

newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depending how far along you are in your lifting that could be impacting the scale weight somewhat. Don't stop doing it, but it can be a factor on your scale weight especially when your body is really primed to gain strength.

What I think is likely is you're seeing results, but just so modest that the noise of up and down water weight and everything is making it feel like nothing is happening at all. It can be really off putting mentally.

I recommend experimenting with a larger calorie deficit for 2 weeks. Perhaps go with 1500 calories per day? Maybe even a touch lower (with additional protein down to maybe 1200 or so is safe). Sometimes with diets you have to force the issue a little if you're not seeing the results you'd like. The sort of 'forced' progress re-invigorates you mentally a little. You know your own psychology though so do whatever you think will help you still be sticking with it 2-6 months from now. It's all about sustaining that effort through the times like these.

Mind you, I'm in your shoes in some sense as I've been cutting since October, but only lost about 10 lbs with 10 still to go by my goal of June 1st. I recently decided that it was too sluggish myself and I'm going to quit alcohol for 6 weeks and make some additional adjustments in calories burned vs. consumed to move things a long a little faster. My opinion is sometimes forcing the issue really is the best thing.

Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    You're not going to like this.... But the only viable solution is to eat less, or move more but with eating less being much easier.

It's quite likely you're not tracking accurately and your weekly average daily calories are much higher than you've stated.

You're also likely burning far fewer than calories from the stair master than you imagine... For example... Let's say in that time on the stair master it says you burned 600 calories. But if you had not used the stair master and just sat around you would have burned 400 just doing nothing. So did you really burn 600?
    I get what you're saying. I will add that I am very strict in my diet. I weigh out every single thing I eat so everything is as accurate as possible when I eat. I also wear my watch when working out. maybe they aren't all that accurate, but I'm not depending on the actual machine to tell me how many calories I burn. To add, 600 calories is the total amount I am burning per my Apple watch between lifting and cardio.

Originally Posted by newbutserious View Post
    Depending how far along you are in your lifting that could be impacting the scale weight somewhat. Don't stop doing it, but it can be a factor on your scale weight especially when your body is really primed to gain strength.

What I think is likely is you're seeing results, but just so modest that the noise of up and down water weight and everything is making it feel like nothing is happening at all. It can be really off putting mentally.

I recommend experimenting with a larger calorie deficit for 2 weeks. Perhaps go with 1500 calories per day? Maybe even a touch lower (with additional protein down to maybe 1200 or so is safe). Sometimes with diets you have to force the issue a little if you're not seeing the results you'd like. The sort of 'forced' progress re-invigorates you mentally a little. You know your own psychology though so do whatever you think will help you still be sticking with it 2-6 months from now. It's all about sustaining that effort through the times like these.

Mind you, I'm in your shoes in some sense as I've been cutting since October, but only lost about 10 lbs with 10 still to go by my goal of June 1st. I recently decided that it was too sluggish myself and I'm going to quit alcohol for 6 weeks and make some additional adjustments in calories burned vs. consumed to move things a long a little faster. My opinion is sometimes forcing the issue really is the best thing.
    I will definitely take this into account. I will be changing my diet around next week and will start cutting down more on calories. The reason I have not already done it, is fear that I will cut them too low. Macro calculators have me around 2300 calories to lose weight. That did seem too high in my opinion so I decided around 1,800-1,900. I'll give more of a deficit and see if that kick starts some weight loss in the next couple of weeks.

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DanCarter1723 View Post
    I get what you're saying. I will add that I am very strict in my diet. I weigh out every single thing I eat so everything is as accurate as possible when I eat. I also wear my watch when working out. maybe they aren't all that accurate, but I'm not depending on the actual machine to tell me how many calories I burn. To add, 600 calories is the total amount I am burning per my Apple watch between lifting and cardio.
    If you weigh 274 and are not losing weight on 1800 calories/day then something is medically wrong with you.

I agree that your tracking is probably off somewhere.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    If you weigh 274 and are not losing weight on 1800 calories/day then something is medically wrong with you.

I've been reluctant to blame it on a thyroid problem, as I feel this is everyone's excuse when not losing weight and their real problem is not counting calories right.

I just can't agree that my tracking is off, unless I've miscalculated due to bad information on calories per ounce of food I am eating.

Here is a normal day for me.

Breakfast-455 cals
    Serving of Kodak cakes-190 cals
    Two eggs-140 cal
    Jimmy Dean fully cooked Turkey sausage links-100 cals
    Sugar free syrup-15 cals

Lunch-494 cals
    8 ounces chicken-200 cals
    5 ounces russet potatoes-135 ounces
    4 ounces brussel sprouts-48 cals
    serving shredded cheese-110 cals

Snack in between lunch and dinner-410 cals
    8 ounces chicken-200 cals
    serving Guac-50 cals
    salsa-10 cals
    serving shredded cheese-110 cals

Dinner-Same as lunch.

This is all precisely weighed with a scale. Even if I am off on what an ounce of each food I am eating contains calorie wise, I absolutely can not be eating so much more calories that my weight is holding steady. Per most macro calculators, at my height and weight, I would have to be eating above 2500 cals to maintain my weight with my activity level. I do recognize that chicken may be a little higher per ounce that I have estimated(25 cals/ounce), but at most 8 ounces of chicken should be around 240 cals. That change would bump my overall calories intake to just under 2,000 Cal’s which should still put me in a calories deficit.
    Last edited by DanCarter1723; 02-12-2020 at 10:34 AM.

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ...just under 2,000 Cal’s which should still put me in a calories deficit.
    Exactly. You should be losing weight at your stats. I weigh 100lb less than you and I lose weight on 1800 calories. So either a)your tracking is off; or b) you have a medical issue that is interfering with your weight loss.

There is no third option.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also wear my watch when to out. maybe they aren't all that accurate, but I'm not depending on the actual machine to tell me how many calories I burn. To add, 600 calories is the total amount I am burning per my Apple watch between lifting and cardio.
    Why are you depending on your watch? I don't really understand the need to count physical activity as some special category of calorie expenditure. The only thing that I see resulting from that is giving people an excuse to fudge their food intake upwards.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Why are you depending on your watch? I don't really understand the need to count physical activity as some special category of calorie expenditure. The only thing that I see resulting from that is giving people an excuse to fudge their food intake upwards.
    It’s more enjoying seeing my heart rate and keeping track of those things. I can promise, no matter how many calories it says I burn, I don’t change what I eat. I pre portion and cook all my food on Sunday, so there isn’t an opportunity for me to give myself extra food.
    Last edited by DanCarter1723; 02-12-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have a diet journal?
    If you don't you should record all macros and calories each meal each day and have a total at the end of the day.
    You need to be meticulous with your records to be accurate and adjust things.
    The same with your training.
    You can't just say i ate a chicken breast you need to say i ate a 6 oz chicken breast and the same with other foods.
    Then you can adjust it accordingly.
    You could rotate calories an example 2000 day 1,700 day 2,1400 day three and repeat.
    This tricks the system and works for awhile for most people but remember nothing works forever and have to find something different because your body will eventually adjust to different stimuluses thrown at it.
    Same with training record it see whats working and change when you need to.
    For cardio interval training works well for fat loss.
    Going hard for say 30 seconds then moderate for 60 seconds and keep this up for 15 to 20 minutes.
    It can be on a treadmill,bike,rowing machine or what ever works for you.
    Changing up the type of cardio is good also.
    i hope this helps you some,good luck.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Do you have a diet journal?
    If you don't you should record all macros and calories each meal each day and have a total at the end of the day.
    You need to be meticulous with your records to be accurate and adjust things.
    The same with your training.
    You can't just say i ate a chicken breast you need to say i ate a 6 oz chicken breast and the same with other foods.
    Then you can adjust it accordingly.
    You could rotate calories an example 2000 day 1,700 day 2,1400 day three and repeat.
    This tricks the system and works for awhile for most people but remember nothing works forever and have to find something different because your body will eventually adjust to different stimuluses thrown at it.
    Same with training record it see whats working and change when you need to.
    For cardio interval training works well for fat loss.
    Going hard for say 30 seconds then moderate for 60 seconds and keep this up for 15 to 20 minutes.
    It can be on a treadmill,bike,rowing machine or what ever works for you.
    Changing up the type of cardio is good also.
    i hope this helps you some,good luck.
    I do keep track of all food intake via myfitnesspal and an app to record my workouts.

As far as cardio goes. I used to only run for cardio, and almost always did HIIT. I will be going back to that today. I haven't already done that because I wanted to give the stair master a fair shot as it's just easier on the knees and I wanted a change.

newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So I see it's been 6 weeks total also. You're targeting about a 1lb / week deficit. Is that correct? So if you're consistently down 3 lbs and just not the 6 on average you were expecting that isn't a huge difference even if it felt like it was all front loaded.

I guess I want to say shave a little more off your daily if you're comfortable, perhaps not as much as I initially advised (call it 1600 maybe?) and give it a few more weeks. Obviously don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.

If you get some extra progress and it turns out it was all just too much noise in the data then you could go back to 1800.

I agree it's a little surprising. Metabolic damage is a real thing, but it's just usually a modest quantity you simply adjust around. Thyroid stuff I know nothing about though.

Originally Posted by newbutserious View Post
    So I see it's been 6 weeks total also. You're targeting about a 1lb / week deficit. Is that correct? So if you're consistently down 3 lbs and just not the 6 on average you were expecting that isn't a huge difference even if it felt like it was all front loaded.

I guess I want to say shave a little more off your daily if you're comfortable, perhaps not as much as I initially advised (call it 1600 maybe?) and give it a few more weeks. Obviously don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.

If you get some extra progress and it turns out it was all just too much noise in the data then you could go back to 1800.

I agree it's a little surprising. Metabolic damage is a real thing, but it's just usually a modest quantity you simply adjust around. Thyroid stuff I know nothing about though.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely going to take it and see what it will do for me for a couple weeks. Only reason I haven't lower, is like you said, I was afraid any lower would slow my metabolism too much from too little of calories.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post

^^^^ This... I weigh 220 and I can cut comfortably on 2500 calories and lose 2 lbs a week.

Either you're tracking some days and not others and blowing out your calories on those non-tracking days, or you're not accounting for something (drinks? other snacks?), or you need to go see a physician and get checked out.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just as a note on your food intake... I didn't see you include the oil which you cook your eggs or chicken on. Do you not use oil? It's super calorie dense and can add a few hundred calories to each meal if you're not careful about it.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 235x9, 250x6, 270x1
    Squat - 295x8, 340x5, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x11, 445x8 455x7, 485x5, 495x1
    OHP - 145x10, 150x9, 155 5x5, 170x6, 190x1(@180 bw)
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 190 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=5

Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    Just as a note on your food intake... I didn't see you include the oil which you cook your eggs or chicken on. Do you not use oil? It's super calorie dense and can add a few hundred calories to each meal if you're not careful about it.
    I use just a tad bit of pam cooking spray for my eggs and I grill chicken that has been marinated in worcestershire sauce. So no, not using a ton of oils to cook with. Use an air fryer for carbs.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your calories for chicken are off. 3 oz of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast is 128 cals per the USDA. 8 oz would be 341 calories. That's 282 extra calories not counted on that list just from chicken.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.htm...1534/nutrients

Any other cut or cooking method would have higher calories. Even raw you're off by over 140 calories per day.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.htm...1077/nutrients
    Last edited by spradish; 02-12-2020 at 04:14 PM.

shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Your calories for chicken are off. 3 oz of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast is 128 cals per the USDA. 8 oz would be 341 calories. That's 282 extra calories not counted on that list just from chicken.

Any other cut or cooking method would have higher calories. Even raw you're off by over 140 calories per day.
    Damn well I learned something new I’ve only been weighing my chicken after it is grilled. The package I scanned has the nutritional information on it for boneless skinless breast and it is 1cal/gram.

But at your weight you are “eating” half of your TDEE there is no way you can’t be losing weight you should be dropping 3 pounds a week. If you are truly weighing and eating what you say you are get your thyroid checked. I have hashimotos its an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid and all I did was sleep and eat a meal or 2 a day and still packed on the pounds.

loseit21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As the title says, frustration has set in. Almost a month and a half from when I started my diet and I'm maybe 3 pounds down. To add, that three pounds came off very early on, so I'm convinced it only was a result of changing my diet and eat right after a bad holiday season.

A little history of myself. I weighed 300 pounds back in 2011; I decided I must make a change. I had never worked out a day in my life, and never even thought about lifting weights. So lets just say, my body composition was mostly made up of fat. When I started to work out and eat right, the weight fell off, and I mean fast. A year later, I had dropped just over 100 pounds.

Now back to current date. I have sense gained a significant amount of weight back. Unfortunately, I'm back up to 274. The only difference, My body composition has greatly differed than back before I lost weight the first time. I regularly lift now, so there's quite a bit more muscle on my frame than before.

So My current dilemma is, I can not lose weight and I feel like I am doing what I need to do to make it happen. I keep my calories intake around 1,800-1,900(Protein around 195g, Carbs 150g, Fat 50g), I lift and do cardio at least 3 times a week. When I workout, I feel like I bust my ass. Maybe I could bump up my cardio, right now I am doing a mile on the stair master. I burn about 550-600 calories per workout.

I can't for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm starting to get to the point where my ideas to fix this are not rational i.e. thinking the difference is I used to never eat white potatoes because I associated them with bad carbs. So now I'm thinking I change my diet to include sweet potatoes instead of white.

With all this info presented, I am looking for guidance. I could bump up how many days I am working out, in fact this is a goal of mine already. But I think 3 days plus my strict diet alone would be enough for me to lost weight.

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this!
    You are wrong on your calculations. I started weighing and counting calories 3 weeks ago since nothing else worked. I'm at 2000 calories a day. I was 5 10 233 pounds. Today I'm at 227. You r doing something wrong.

InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100) InspectahDeck is not very well liked. (-100)
    Cut out the cheese, syrup, potatoes and replace with vegetables, preferably steamed vegetables to aid digestion. Your lacking fiber and probably other nutrients.