Jezzcb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So sick of how my passion comes and goes

Hi all

I have been working out off and on for years now. I can make really good progress when I do workout. My biggest problem is my weird passion. When I am passionate I can workout most days of the week and on days off I'm looking forward to the next workout. I get up early to get to the gym, am always researching new BB ideas and feel great about it. This passion generally lasts for quite a few months until suddenly, as if someone just flips a switch, my passion disappears. The last time I loaded up the plates the whole thing just felt like a drag. A week before I was loving it. My passion may not return for six months or even years!

This infuriating coming and going of my passion doesn't even seem to have any particular trigger. For some reason, I just couldn't get back into training after the new year. It seemed like the last thing I wanted to do.

Has anybody any idea what the heck is wrong with me and how I might be able to prevent this revolving door or passion?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jezz

lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Motivation fades - its discipline that make long term progress.

decide you want to do something for x,y,z reasons. Then commit to doing it - there is almost nothing in life that doesn't lose its dopamine dump after desensitization - show up and do the work.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jezzcb View Post
    Hi all

I have been working out off and on for years now. I can make really good progress when I do workout. My biggest problem is my weird passion. When I am passionate I can workout most days of the week and on days off I'm looking forward to the next workout. I get up early to get to the gym, am always researching new BB ideas and feel great about it. This passion generally lasts for quite a few months until suddenly, as if someone just flips a switch, my passion disappears. The last time I loaded up the plates the whole thing just felt like a drag. A week before I was loving it. My passion may not return for six months or even years!

This infuriating coming and going of my passion doesn't even seem to have any particular trigger. For some reason, I just couldn't get back into training after the new year. It seemed like the last thing I wanted to do.

Has anybody any idea what the heck is wrong with me and how I might be able to prevent this revolving door or passion?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jezz
    If you have as much "passion" for training as you claim you do, then take a more critical look at the reasons (or triggers) behind not getting back into it after the new year...

Can it simply be the "stress" of the new year, and the whole New Year resolution tradition brought about some personal questions regarding your program vs. the results you've obtained? Maybe it's your excitement for this hobby that fluctuates, depending on what else is on your mind at any given time. Focus is an important aspect to continued success in this arena. When I say "arena," I am referring to living a healthy life style, which may or may not include working in the fitness industry. You don't need to have goals/aspirations of competing in BB or powerlifting to stay motivated within yourself. But you DO need intent and focus, especially when the going gets tougher (i.e.; breaking through stubborn plateaus; health issues (?), work schedules, other top priorities, etc...). Everything affects your training- positively, negatively, temporarily and for the long-term. The trick is to use any "negative" thoughts you recognize (which are temporary), and question their validity. If, for instance, you're thinking after X amount of time, you SHOULD look like Y, or be lifting the same weight as that other stranger doing a similar routine, then recognize, instead, you can do YOUR best with what YOU bring to the table. Are YOU putting in your best effort, in general, on any given day? If so, that's all you should expect from yourself. It's good enough!

Everyone may have a "trigger," if you will, that can throw some water on that fire you have. I know for me, the environment of the gym can affect my enthusiasm in certain moments. The overall energy level of the gym can have an affect on some people's performance. I discovered I need a high energy atmosphere to do my very best, because I can internalize my surroundings subconsciously (that air assault bike is whispering to me...).

Take some time to mull over what has you temporarily stalled...and you will fix it if you truly have a "passion" for this.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

bstatic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get your hormone levels checked, get your mental health checked out as well. What really helps me is watching stuff on tv about body building or weight lifting. Usually I get in a zone where there is no choice.

Learn to love working out and tell yourself you love it. Really if you're doing everything right I feel like it should only be the initial hump to get over. That's for weight lifting anyways. Don't over due it just be consistent. If you're working out 3 days a week then you are doing great! Unless you're doing 3 days a week while on steroids lol then that would be bad but you still need rest.

NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    remember why you started...….

then watch bodybuilding/training channels......and get inspired....
    we all have our dips in motivation etc...

MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeNick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NuubLifter2000 View Post
    remember why you started...….

then watch bodybuilding/training channels......and get inspired....
    we all have our dips in motivation etc...
    Yes, all above are correct.
    I too have regular ups and downs but I do the above to overcome bad days. I watch bodybuilding videos or see pictures of me when I was in prime times