doughboy4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

3 days a week cardio and weight program for fat loss?

TL;DR is there a plan where I can work out 3 days a week with a mix of cardio and weights with a primary goal of losing fat and overall weight w/o looking "skinny fat".

Longer story. I'm in my early 40s. I'm 5'8 and overweight. I hit 230 pounds (all fat) 2 years ago and realized something had to change. Also found out I had type 2 diabetes. dieted and lost weight and got down to 200 pounds (just in the obese category by BMI charts). My a1c numbers normalized. I started strong lifts and over 9-10 months GAINED 10-15 pounds (I think I gained muscle but didn't lose fat) to between 210-215. I felt strong and noticed that I had some real world strength. Over the winter I got really sick with the flu and lost 10-15 pounds but stopped stronglifts for about 2 months. So now I'm back to 200 pounds.

While on strong lifts I felt great and in the "real world" I felt strong (i.e. lifting stuff around the house, etc, etc). However, I wasn't doing cardio so I'd get winded running up a few flights of stairs. I guess my ideal would be where I can get down to 180-190 pounds with better CV fitness and be stronger. When I did stronglifts as the weights got higher I couldn't do a short run after lifting since I was too exhausted. Is there a stronglifts "lite" which may have slower muscle growth but still allow me to get in the cardio. What if I just started with 3x5 instead of 5x5? I realize the other option is to work out more frequently but I'm happy to get to the gym 3 times a week which is a challenge.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lifting weights does not make you bigger, weight is controlled by calories, not how much you do in the gym. When you gained your 10-15 lbs it wasn't because you were lifting, it was because you were EATING. If you lift weights 3x a week but remain in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. So if the goal is to get from 200 down to 180 you need to get your intake down under your maintenance level, which is 100% all done via your diet.

Start here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=165843261

And go here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.