njneh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Body fat loss and Muscle gain for noob???

Hi all,

I am a relative noob here. Ive been working out since July of 2019. Had done p90x few years ago. Since this September Ive worked out 7 days per week not missing a single day. My routine is 4 days weights with a push/pull/legs routine with double on either push or pull and 3 days of cardio on a Peloton.

I weighed 145lbs with 24% body fat in July. I have always been skinny and so wanted to bulk. Ive gained only 3lbs and my fat is 20.5% now. my typical diet is:
    6am - 2 hard boiled eggs, whey protein shake
    8:30am - cup of oatmeal with 1/2 tsp brown sugar
    10:30am - cup of blueberries and strawberries
    12pm - whey protein shake
    1pm - lunch either beyond burger patty on lettuce or tofu burrito bowl with minimal rice
    3pm - low fat greek yogurt and whey ps
    6pm - dinner with protein and brown rice
    8pm whey ps
    10pm - casein protein shake

My body has definitely transformed with less fat and more muscle BUT the question is how do I cut my body fat percentage further. I am plateau'd and cant get lower. What am I doing wrong? Also ideally I would like to bulk rather than lose weight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Your BF% might not be what you think it is. Also, at 145lbs, it might be a bad idea to try losing weight. Pictures would help us advise you.

It sounds like you've been trying to "recomp" - lose fat and build muscle at the same time. This works OK for a while but will soon come to a stop especially if you are not overweight. You might have to decide between mass gain and fat lot phases done at separate times.

It's more important to know the calorie and macro content of what you. Your particular choices and timings are not as important. Have you read the sticky threads in this forum and the Nutrition forum?

Sorry all I've spent the last 40 minutes trying to figure out hired to post pics and still can't. They are in my bodyspace. Please take a look.
    My calories today are 1546.
    My macros today and typically are:
    Carbs75g
    Fat 34g
    Protein 174g.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by njneh View Post
    My calories today are 1546.
    My macros today and typically are:
    Carbs75g
    Fat 34g
    Protein 174g.
    That adds up to 1300 calories.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    That adds up to 1300 calories.
    I used my fitness pal to log it based on the actual food I ate. I uploaded the screenshot to my body space. Not sure on where the discrepancy is but let's say it's 1300-1546 (I know it's a broad range) what do I do to cut my body fat but not get skinnier since I probably have a calorie deficit. I exercise minimum 30 minutes per week--3 times spin and 4 times weights. I am burning decent calories doing this as well.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    The point is to get a better handle on your diet and training. You don't seem to have a good idea what your calorie intake is and describing your training in minutes tells me you're likely not programming correctly.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Even at 1500 cals, that would still be too low. And fat is too low. Read the sticky threads regarding minimums for protein and dietary fat.

You are probably underestimating because most people would lose weight at 1500 or 1300