floridamane is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Umbilical Hernia. Can I still lift after surgery

I've had a small umbilical hernia for a while and lifted with no problems. It recently got bigger, started hurting, and became strangulated. I was able to avoid emergency surgery because it popped back in while I was in the emergency room. I still have to schedule surgery soon though.

Will I still be able to lift? I understand this isn't the place for medical advice and the doctors will surely give me their recommendation. However, I am interested in the experience of people who actually lift and have gone through this.

mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by floridamane View Post
    I've had a small umbilical hernia for a while and lifted with no problems. It recently got bigger, started hurting, and became strangulated. I was able to avoid emergency surgery because it popped back in while I was in the emergency room. I still have to schedule surgery soon though.

Will I still be able to lift? I understand this isn't the place for medical advice and the doctors will surely give me their recommendation. However, I am interested in the experience of people who actually lift and have gone through this.
    I did...Inguinal ( I think - just above the navel) hernia last year - labroscopic procedure, permanent mesh. At the two weeks followup, asked the doc if I could ease into it at 50%, increase 10% a week until I get to where I left off at 100%. He had no issues, just as long as there wasn't pain - just said go slow. Only thing I didn't do were chinups. Those took a while to ease back into, so started with pulldowns as I recovered. Been almost exactly a year, no ongoing issues. But then, my hernia was small, no strangulation. Obviously, get the doc's opinion, but that was my experience. Good luck.

eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by floridamane View Post

Absolutely you will.
    RWGFY

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shytheads"
    - COL Charles Beckwith

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is good to know, I was worried. On Monday, Feb 2nd, I'm getting 3 hernias repaired

Manlets gonna make it Natty1980's Avatar
    Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Natty1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sure, I had mine fixed 11 years ago (I did not wait for it to come out and get painful though) and I went back to gym after 4-5 weeks.
    After 3 months I lifted as if nothing happened.