floridamane is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Umbilical Hernia. Can I still lift after surgery

I've had a small umbilical hernia for a while and lifted with no problems. It recently got bigger, started hurting, and became strangulated. I was able to avoid emergency surgery because it popped back in while I was in the emergency room. I still have to schedule surgery soon though.

Will I still be able to lift? I understand this isn't the place for medical advice and the doctors will surely give me their recommendation. However, I am interested in the experience of people who actually lift and have gone through this.

mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeasu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by floridamane View Post
    I've had a small umbilical hernia for a while and lifted with no problems. It recently got bigger, started hurting, and became strangulated. I was able to avoid emergency surgery because it popped back in while I was in the emergency room. I still have to schedule surgery soon though.

Will I still be able to lift? I understand this isn't the place for medical advice and the doctors will surely give me their recommendation. However, I am interested in the experience of people who actually lift and have gone through this.
    I did...Inguinal ( I think - just above the navel) hernia last year - labroscopic procedure, permanent mesh. At the two weeks followup, asked the doc if I could ease into it at 50%, increase 10% a week until I get to where I left off at 100%. He had no issues, just as long as there wasn't pain - just said go slow. Only thing I didn't do were chinups. Those took a while to ease back into, so started with pulldowns as I recovered. Been almost exactly a year, no ongoing issues. But then, my hernia was small, no strangulation. Obviously, get the doc's opinion, but that was my experience. Good luck.

eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by floridamane View Post

Absolutely you will.
    "I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shytheads"
    - COL Charles Beckwith

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
    -Thomas Jefferson