popeye1293 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Calorie burning Advice for Obese man - Fitbit adjustments toMyFitnessPal wrong?

I have been using an Apple Watch with MyFitnessPal for the past while and it’s worked wonders. I bought my dad a Fitbit to encourage him to lose weight. He would be classified as obese. He is about 5ft11 and 19 and 1/2 stone (~275 lbs). So far it seems his exercise adjustments are very high considering the steps he makes. I have enable negative adjustments enabled but I don’t think that’s even working... usually with my Apple Watch I get about 30% of the calories My Apple Watch says I burned. Anyway here are some examples of what he’s getting... 5000 steps:1033 extra calories, 11000 steps: 1954 extra calories, 7500 steps: 1300 extra calories... it strikes me as very high? It would have been nice for him to have a good estimAtion of what to eat when he’s active. I am also concerned about allowing him to eat so much but in reality maybe it’s ok because he is quite heavier than me! Does anyone have any knowledge of calorie targets/adjustments to make for someone in this weight range? Aiming for 1 lb/week at the start. Fitbit.com haven’t been helpful at all... Would really appreciate it

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Use the device as a goal for getting higher and higher numbers - to continue becoming more and more active.

Don't eat back the calories burned. All wearables (and just about every tracking app out there) seem to overestimate calories burned.

A great many people don't need to eat extra when they're a bit active. There are some sticky threads in this forum, read those. Calculate TDEE, calculate a caloric deficit, and eat that. Tacking on an extra 1000+ calories because a person took a walk is definitely not going to be a successful strategy.
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified