User944 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

6'3 200lb Male: Bulk or Cut?

6'3 200lb 25 year old deciding whether to bulk or cut. I am new to lifting, and recently took up tracking my diet and eating healthier foods. As you can see, I carry very little muscle, and some pudge.

Being a novice lifter, I'm assuming I could benefit from a lean bulk to put on muscle while only accruing minimal fat. However, already being 200lbs sometimes makes me second guess this strategy. This leads me to the following questions:

1.) If bulk, what weight should I strive for before going on a proper cut...210, 215lbs?
    2.) If cut, how much weight should I lose before starting a lean bulk?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Attached Images

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never understood people's desire to want to cut for fun. You are as you say, a novice and new to lifting. I would focus on your lifting and your technique. Being new to lifting, you will gain some mass just by starting to lift. If you keep your diet in check, that will help to minimize fat accrual. Wait and put on some muscle before you decide to cut down. There's no magic number to say 210 or 215 is a good number. It's how you feel. To be honest, you probably won't see much of a difference with only a 10 pound weight gain. If you cut down now, I think you'll just be disappointed with the results as you have no muscle tone or definition at the moment.

For example, I'm only 6'1 and my off season I like to sit between 220-225. Could I be less? Sure, but why? Yes, I'd have less to lose when show season starts, but I enjoy food and I will put in the extra effort when bodybuilding season comes around for me to lose the extra weight. Show ready, I'm probably right around 200.

Keep pressing with the lifting and watching your intake. I wouldn't worry too much unless you start to see a bunch more fat building up around your belly. In order to gain the muscle, you'll need to eat in a surplus every week. It's not going to be an overnight fix, but you'll start to see results fairly quickly. Good luck.