ssingh1975 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Losing weight/dedication/lifestyle changes ..at age 44 (with medical issues)?

Hi all,

Been a lurker here for several years on/off but never really serious about it. I'm 205lbs currently and ideal weight is around 175lbs (from what I remember during my younger athletic days).

I have thyroid disorder which stabilized after 3 years (some of the weight gain was off that as my levels got so low, I was struggling to make it thru the day with 5 cups of coffee, Red bull,etc). During the diagnosis/treatment, I also went in mild depression/eating disorder and was on meds for another 7 months.

I know this is not a medical board and I'm not here for that. I just got everything stabilized recently (both physically and inside my head) and already off the anti-depressant meds (which was indirectly related to thyroid issues).

I know to lose weight, it's CICO and am making adjustments as needed. Due to depression and the meds that it worse, I don't drink coffee or take any stimulants. Green tea and 2 cups of black tea is about all I can handle on a daily basis.

While I have very capable docs that treated my conditions, they are of zero use for weight loss/getting lean. I was just told to "enjoy" my life right now, especially coming out of the dreaded depression that can literally eat a man from the inside.

I've read the stickies under FatLoss but that forum is mainly for 16 yr olds who aim to be bodybuilders in 6 months.

I'm basically starting out at my minimum physical condition ....last lifting I did was in high school (ex soccer player here). I'm too 'shy' to join a gym ...I did a free trial at 2 local places and everyone there is super fit/muscular and people give me stares (srs) when I do 80 lbs squats and pant like I'm about to die. There was this fit couple next to me and the girl made some remark and both were laughing without even realizing what I've been thru but its aight..can't change the world...lol.

I'm thinking of just converting one of my bedrooms at home into a home gym and just get some cheap stuff off Crag list/FB ads.

Diet wise, I dunno....I'm guessing high protein/low carb that's a popular trend nowadays? My doc has oked creatine and whey protein (no special diets here but I can't do Keto as my doc said Keto reduces T3 hormones over time and I'm on meds).

At this point, I'm basically hoping that I can push myself both physically and medically to fully come out of the black hole I've been in for the last 3 years.

Any advise/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Cheers lads.

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No need for a home gym, the prisoner workout is a great place to start.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...soner-workout/

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with bromanianDL that you don't need a gym and that prisoner workouts will work, but if you do choose to go to a gym, you need to cultivate your inner "FK You!" voice. Ignore others, who might not have been laughing/looking at you, they just might have just been laughing about something else while being near you. Sorry to say it but you're probably don't look as interesting as you think, and people shallow enough to laugh at others are likely too busy thinking about themselves anyway. Channel that "FK You!" attitude, it can do your workouts a power of good.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Attempting "Convict Conditioning", http://www.4hourlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Convict-Conditioning-Progressions-Wall-Chart.jpg

ssingh1975 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks fellas.

I saw that workout and man o man..it's some brutal testimony to a man's strength! At my current physical stage, if I can do 8 pushups without stopping, I'd reward myself ..lol.

I just ordered some whey and creatine from the BB store just now. I was going thru FB marketplace and found someone selling a working treadmill and some loose dumbbells so I'm gonna stop by and pick it up (I think $100 ain't too bad).

Yall have any recommendations for a noob workout program? Something that doesn't require prev lifting experience?

Thanks again..totally appreciate your responses!

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Going to a gym is usually the smart way to go at first. If you insist on starting with a home gym right away then this is usually considered the minimum build:

Power rack
    Adjustable Bench
    Olympic Bar
    Olympic plates

You won't know what you really want until later so buy cheap used gear for now. You can buy the good stuff later when you know what you want.

Several good novice programs in the workout programs section of the forum.

ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with OldFartTom. You need to go in the gym and focus on you. I had my entire colon removed and now have a J-Pouch. The surgery did some damage to my abdominals and I have a stable hernia about the size of a softball that does not hide well when I lift, so I get plenty of people staring and commenting.

You can use it as motivation to prove them wrong that you deserve to be there just as much as them.

Good luck on your new journey.
    I Do It Because I Can...
    I Can Because I Want To...
    I Want To Because You Said I Couldn't

1/11/20: 194lbs / 22% BF. Goal: 200lbs / 10 - 12 % BF

tekw0lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definitely agree with the guys above. If you are starting out again, that prisoner workout is a great one. The one piece of equipment I would get to start with would be a chin-up/dip stand. Maybe some bands too.

Unfortunately at the gym, there will always be a few twits who only feel better about themselves by trying to bring someone else down.
    There are usually great gyms around, but you have to look. I would even say to go to a power lifting gym or cross fit center. I find the people in these places to be much more helpful and supportive.

Look, do the prisoner routine for a few months to gain muscle control and strength, then join a small/specialized gym if possible. If all you have is the gym that you mentioned, get some earbuds and jam your motivational mix.

You still really can get a nice body from body weight workouts and a good diet.

DON'T QUIT! Keep moving forward. Hard work and determination is all you need and it sounds like you are there.

By the way, I am 45. I have had 6 shoulder surgeries and gained a ton of weight during that period. When I started back, I could not do one pull-up and maybe 1 dip. 4 months in, I can crank out 3 sets of pull-ups (8-12 reps) and 4 sets of dips (10-12) plus my lifting.

You WILL get there, just keep after it!
    Last edited by tekw0lf; 02-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Based on your stats your estimated deficit for fat loss should be right around 2200 calories to start. Set your protein amount and divide your remaining calories towards carbs and fats the way you see fit. Use a wide variety of whole food sources you enjoy and get on a app so you can track your calories daily.

Keep your training simple and focused on the important compound lifts. A 3 day full body routine would be a good place to start.

Here's a few training programs if needed:

Fierce 5 Program
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

All Pro’s Beginner Routine
    http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

Stronglifts 5 x 5 Program
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Keep it simple, stay consistent and you can't go wrong.

Good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000) Jdizzlean is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ssingh1975 View Post

I'm basically starting out at my minimum physical condition ....last lifting I did was in high school (ex soccer player here). I'm too 'shy' to join a gym ...I did a free trial at 2 local places and everyone there is super fit/muscular and people give me stares (srs) when I do 80 lbs squats and pant like I'm about to die. There was this fit couple next to me and the girl made some remark and both were laughing without even realizing what I've been thru but its aight..can't change the world...lol.
    '
    I want to talk about this, as it's really the core of the issue i think. you have to be an island in yourself at the gym. I could care less what other people are doing as long as they aren't on the equipment that i need to be on next. I work out in the company of people that could benchpress 2-3 of ME, and leg press my whole family without breaking a sweat. good for them. but i'm at the gym to work on me, and working on me doesn't involve the approval of anyone else but me. you need to get inside your own head and block all that other noise out. if they're staring at you, then let them. ignore it and do your work. they all started right where you are now.

working out at home is a great option for sure, but it's also easier to make excuses and to get distracted. going elsewhere requires effort, and wasting that effort once you get there is doubly hard.

make an effort. you're worth it.
    my workout blog: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177584181&p=1588523911#post1588523911