ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pain behind knee: Baker's Cyst?

I think I pushed myself too hard in the gym last week, and powered my way through some single-leg kettlebell deadlifts despite my legs shaking with fatigue.

My form must have been off as a result, and since then I've had this strange pain behind my knee. It's nothing severe and feels better than it did a few days ago, but I can still feel some pain if I fully flex my knee or kneel on the floor.

I also feel some discomfort with my leg extended (though not all the time) and have sometimes been getting discomfort around my calf (well more like the side of my leg / shin)

At first I was panicking that it was a PCL injury but apparently they are rare and also sound more severe than what I have.

Could it be a Baker's Cyst? that sounds similar to what I'm getting, except I have no swelling or lump.

I made a physio appointment to get it checked out but that's not for another week. I'm hoping it'll clear up by itself before then, but any advice would be great.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ReboundReps View Post
    I think I pushed myself too hard in the gym last week, and powered my way through some single-leg kettlebell deadlifts despite my legs shaking with fatigue.

My form must have been off as a result, and since then I've had this strange pain behind my knee. It's nothing severe and feels better than it did a few days ago, but I can still feel some pain if I fully flex my knee or kneel on the floor.

I also feel some discomfort with my leg extended (though not all the time) and have sometimes been getting discomfort around my calf (well more like the side of my leg / shin)

At first I was panicking that it was a PCL injury but apparently they are rare and also sound more severe than what I have.

Could it be a Baker's Cyst? that sounds similar to what I'm getting, except I have no swelling or lump.

I made a physio appointment to get it checked out but that's not for another week. I'm hoping it'll clear up by itself before then, but any advice would be great.
    I had pain behind the knee, with a small lump. Took me years to discover that it was due to a free floating fabella bone, which is a useless bone behind the knee that only a minority of people have. Considered to be normal human anatomy, but there are many documented cases of it causing pain.

If there is no lump, definitely not a baker's cyst. Could be PCL, could be muscle strain, or a hamstring/calf tendon strain.

Probably should take it easy and focus on better form. In the meantime, toning things down. Avoiding pain is #1.