yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can I build muscle with the equipment I have?

Female, 20yrs old. Lifting for 1 1/2 years but am scared to bulk since I don’t have a proper gym to go to currently.

This is the equipment I have at home:

- Olympic barbell/plates (total of 250lbs including the bar)
    - power rack
    - Bench (not very sturdy/heavy, but it is able to incline/decline)
    - dumbbells sets of 8lb,10lb,12lb,15lb,20lb,25lb,30lb
    - EZ bar
    -60lb kettle bell
    - a home gym lat pull down machine (not great quality like the one at gyms but gets job done. It also has a low and high cable attachment to it so I’m able to do cable seated rows, tricep pushdowns, cable bicep curls, glute kickbacks, etc with it tho it’s not a very smooth pull.
    -variety of pull up bands
    -resistance bands for the booty

Do you think equipment like leg extensions, hamstring curls, leg presseould be beneficial? Or is the stuff I have enough to build muscle? I plan to add to my dumbbell/barbell collection as I progress and out grow the weight but I feel like I’m missing out on really being able to define my muscles by not having access to a decent amount of gym equipmemt/machines.
    Last edited by yana999; 02-02-2020 at 08:46 PM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have more equipment than many ppl who work out at home, and everything you need. Esp since you're willing to add to your free weight collection as needed and have a home gym with cable attachments.

You don't need leg machines, and many ppl don't use them anyway. With what you have, you can do a complete lower body workout using exercises below and many more:

- Squat, front squat, lunges, other squat/lunge variations
    - Deadlift, Romanian DL, stiff legged DLs, other DL variations
    - Hip thrusts, glute bridges, stepups
    - Standing/seated calf raises

yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) yana999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You have more equipment than many ppl who work out at home, and everything you need. Esp since you're willing to add to your free weight collection as needed and have a home gym with cable attachments.

You don't need leg machines, and many ppl don't use them anyway. With what you have, you can do a complete lower body workout using exercises below and many more:

- Squat, front squat, lunges, other squat/lunge variations
    - Deadlift, Romanian DL, stiff legged DLs, other DL variations
    - Hip thrusts, glute bridges, stepups
    - Standing/seated calf raises
    Thanks for the feedback! I feel a bit more relieved knowing I have enough to get the results I want

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i agree with above. So many will envy what you already have. Sounds like you are all set. You should be able to do just fine for legs what your equipment, honestly. I don't know your stats but I struggle with a lot of the commercial built machine for press and such since I have short legs. Many women aren't very tall and the safeties can hit too early, limiting the range of motion. Barbell, way to do some cable work, all of that is great and you can go far with it.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    i agree with above. So many will envy what you already have. Sounds like you are all set. You should be able to do just fine for legs what your equipment, honestly. I don't know your stats but I struggle with a lot of the commercial built machine for press and such since I have short legs. Many women aren't very tall and the safeties can hit too early, limiting the range of motion. Barbell, way to do some cable work, all of that is great and you can go far with it.
    So do you think I’d be able to achieve a physique similar to those of body builders/very muscular with the equipment I have alone, assuming diet/nutrition is in line ?

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by yana999 View Post
    So do you think I’d be able to achieve a physique similar to those of body builders/very muscular with the equipment I have alone, assuming diet/nutrition is in line ?
    It is possible. Will take time, dedication and discipline. Your genetics will play a factor too and current physique as to where you can go, but yes, the equipment are just fine for bodybuilding or even powerlifting. You won't look exactly like someone else, which is where some women struggle. Basing goals off someone else's results. However, you can definitely get great results with the right program considering the equipment you have already.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    It is possible. Will take time, dedication and discipline. Your genetics will play a factor too and current physique as to where you can go, but yes, the equipment are just fine for bodybuilding or even powerlifting. You won't look exactly like someone else, which is where some women struggle. Basing goals off someone else's results. However, you can definitely get great results with the right program considering the equipment you have already.
    That is awesome to know. And I have one more question. Would it be possible to achieve a toned physique if I just focus on eating mindfully & Continue lifting but in a more relaxed way (lifting more for enjoyment while not focusing so much on volume/weekly sets,doing same exercises weekly, worrying about hitting muscle group ‘x’ amount of times per week, or etc

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started out with less equipment than you listed, and was able to compete rather successfully for my first year of competition.

As for your most recent question, eating mindfully and lifting for enjoyment could be successful, but it is completely subjective so there's no way to answer that. Your mindful and my mindful are different.

If you think you are eating mindfully but are eating 1000 surplus calories, you will gain a lot of fat. If you lift in a relaxed enjoyable way, and don't enjoy work very much, you won't see results.
    There's a certain way to eat and a certain way to work to achieve results. So really, it depends on what your goals are, what you want to achieve, in what timeframe you'd like to reach your goals, etc.
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ProYeo View Post
    eating mindfully and lifting for enjoyment could be successful, but it is completely subjective so there's no way to answer that. Your mindful and my mindful are different.
    ^^^This. You can relaxed about it, but IMO still should have some sort of workout and diet routine if you expect to see results.

You don't have to count cals/macros, but you should have some consistency with what/how you eat so you have some accurate idea of how much you're eating every day (even if as simple as "the same", "less", and "more" rather than # of cals) and whether you're getting enough protein.

As far as lifting, you should have some sort of program and not just doing whatever and how much you feel like every workout. If you want to be relaxed, do a routine with less sets, lower weights and maybe higher reps - but still make it a balanced workout, be consistent, and progress in some way over time... along with some consistency with diet.

Otherwise you may end up spinning your wheels, and letting that great home gym go to waste.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    ^^^This. You can relaxed about it, but IMO still should have some sort of workout and diet routine if you expect to see results.

You don't have to count cals/macros, but you should have some consistency with what/how you eat so you have some accurate idea of how much you're eating every day (even if as simple as "the same", "less", and "more" rather than # of cals) and whether you're getting enough protein.

As far as lifting, you should have some sort of program and not just doing whatever and how much you feel like every workout. If you want to be relaxed, do a routine with less sets, lower weights and maybe higher reps - but still make it a balanced workout, be consistent, and progress in some way over time... along with some consistency with diet.

Otherwise you may end up spinning your wheels, and letting that great home gym go to waste.
    My way of “relaxed” for me would be eating 4-6x a day or when hungry, aiming for balanced meals that consist of protein, carbs, some fats, and micros. But not worrying about hitting a certain protein intake. And eating fun foods In moderation

In terms of being relaxed for working out, I would still train my lower body 2-3x a week aiming for all rep ranges, and upper body 2x a week also aiming for all ranges. I would also focus on progressive overloading still. I just would be less focused on my total weekly sets/volume and I would do more exercises I enjoy but still incorporate compound lifts.

Originally Posted by yana999 View Post
    My way of “relaxed” for me would be eating 4-6x a day or when hungry, aiming for balanced meals that consist of protein, carbs, some fats, and micros. But not worrying about hitting a certain protein intake. And eating fun foods In moderation

In terms of being relaxed for working out, I would still train my lower body 2-3x a week aiming for all rep ranges, and upper body 2x a week also aiming for all ranges. I would also focus on progressive overloading still. I just would be less focused on my total weekly sets/volume and I would do more exercises I enjoy but still incorporate compound lifts.
    It's your body so you can eat and train however you want. Whatever way you choose, try to maintain some level of consistency so you can keep things going in whatever direction you want them to even if progress is slow, and make useful adjustments to diet and workout as necessary.

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the very first post, you mentioned bulking and muscle growth. If those are your goals, consistency is key. If your calorie level isn't in surplus, you don't intake enough protein, and you don't put in the right amount of work... those goals won't be successful. Depending on what is out of whack, there's the risk of no progress, excess fat gain, etc.

If your goal is just to develop habits, learn your body, etc. then what you discuss could work. It really just depends how honest and in-tune you are with yourself. Progress can be made, of course.

In the end, it really just comes down to what you want to accomplish!
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes.
    You just need to know how to implement it.
    Do some training research and pick a protocol that uses equipment you have.