mlubcz2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy next day back soreness after deadlifts :/

I know this topic is probably discussed to death, but deadlifting is literally the only compound movement that gives me trouble. I have researched this so incredibly much and I'm 99% sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, and I'm still having issues sometimes. A while back, I consistently had lower back pain the next 1-2 days after deadlifts, so I stopped doing them, met with a PT, he watched me, confirmed my form was proper, gave me some tips, and I was ok ever since because I never pulled more than 155. Well I've been doing them with no issues for the last few months, and yesterday I was feeling confident with my form, and everything was feeling good. So I slowly worked my way up to 185 and last night my lower back started feeling a little sore. This morning, it's def noticeably sore. I can twist my body easily, but leaning forward is difficult. It's not the same kind of sore I used to get, but i still don't think it should be like this and I'm really frustrated because I don't know what else I can do to NOT feel this and I want to slowly increase and get better with these. My only thoughts are maybe it's normal since it's the most I've pulled so far?? just like my quads are sore the next day when I squat heavier, etc etc.... But everywhere I read online, it says if you have noticeable lower back pain, you're doing something wrong. -_-
    My lats are fired up, my glutes are activated, i hinge at the hip, i do NOT hip thrust at the top, the bar is positioned over midfoot when i start, my back is straight, knees are bent (forming 45 degree angle at hip), and i mentally remember to "push" away from the ground. I should've taken a video of it but I didn't think i would have this issue today. Anyways, does anyone else ever have this issue?? Or is their lower back never ever sore when deadlifting any amount of weight...
    just wondering if I'm the only one out there. Maybe I went too heavy too soon? ugh. i dunno
    any feedback is appreciated. thanks.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mlubcz2 View Post
    I know this topic is probably discussed to death, but deadlifting is literally the only compound movement that gives me trouble. I have researched this so incredibly much and I'm 99% sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, and I'm still having issues sometimes. A while back, I consistently had lower back pain the next 1-2 days after deadlifts, so I stopped doing them, met with a PT, he watched me, confirmed my form was proper, gave me some tips, and I was ok ever since because I never pulled more than 155. Well I've been doing them with no issues for the last few months, and yesterday I was feeling confident with my form, and everything was feeling good. So I slowly worked my way up to 185 and last night my lower back started feeling a little sore. This morning, it's def noticeably sore. I can twist my body easily, but leaning forward is difficult. It's not the same kind of sore I used to get, but i still don't think it should be like this and I'm really frustrated because I don't know what else I can do to NOT feel this and I want to slowly increase and get better with these. My only thoughts are maybe it's normal since it's the most I've pulled so far?? just like my quads are sore the next day when I squat heavier, etc etc.... But everywhere I read online, it says if you have noticeable lower back pain, you're doing something wrong. -_-
    My lats are fired up, my glutes are activated, i hinge at the hip, i do NOT hip thrust at the top, the bar is positioned over midfoot when i start, my back is straight, knees are bent (forming 45 degree angle at hip), and i mentally remember to "push" away from the ground. I should've taken a video of it but I didn't think i would have this issue today. Anyways, does anyone else ever have this issue?? Or is their lower back never ever sore when deadlifting any amount of weight...
    just wondering if I'm the only one out there. Maybe I went too heavy too soon? ugh. i dunno
    any feedback is appreciated. thanks.
    You might have a damaged disc, or on the path to damaging a disc. You should probably take it easy. If your lower back hurts every time you deadlift, you maybe should stop or stop pushing yourself so hard. I badly herniated my L5-S1 years ago. It is about 30% normal disc height. Let me tell you, if I could do it all over again, I would have taken things 100x more slowly and carefully. I also re-injured it several times deadlifting. Before these traumatic events happened, there were warning signs. You need to tone it down until there is 0 pain, and figure out how to progress without pain. Back pain is the worst and you could suffer a crippling injury that knocks you completely out of the gym and puts you in crutches.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Really hard to say when it comes to the back. The first instinct is to think there is a problem but if u are feeling pain a day or two later (not during the workout) it could be DOMS. The back muscles are like any other muscles and a new stress can bring it on. I would say with deadlifts you should not be jumping by big increments though. Just go up by 5lbs at a time when hitting a new weight. Got to let your body adapt.

superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Deadlifts always means at least 3 days with extreme lower back pain, it's part of the game, don't like it? then don't deadlift
    John 3:16

Natty for life
    Red for life
    I'm not really 50, I'm 46, idk how to change the age
    Autism crew (Asperger's syndrome)
    High test crew
    Bald crew
    MAGA crew
    Guys stop making me green! I actually enjoy being red! It's more alpha!
    Born again Christian crew
    Heavy metal crew
    Sometimes the stuff I say is just ''trolling''

kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kenjoshx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by superman704 View Post
    Deadlifts always means at least 3 days with extreme lower back pain, it's part of the game, don't like it? then don't deadlift
    Will neg after spread, this is the worst thing you can say

Listen to your body OP, age 50, and there are countless reasons for back pain. You don't fuark with the lower back.

When it's all said and done, a medical expert said that patients' intuition is sometimes the best indicator on whether they should get themselves checked out. If you feel that something is fundamentally effed up, consult a physician not your trainer; ultimately an MRI is the best way to know whether you're getting a slipped disk.
    I'll say it again, you don't fuark with your lower back, damage there can be mitigated but never undone. You don't sound like you're in an extreme situation, stay safe