Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KandeeMann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Eating in deficit, not losing weight?

Hey Fellas!

Real quick question, desperately need help. But I know you guys probably always get these same ?’s so I apologize in advance.

Currently 180 lbs. 5’8” male, trying to shed down to about 155-160.

I’m doing an hour of cardio 3-4 times a week, as well as an hour of weight lifting about 4-5 times a week. Typically a split routine.

But the scale isn’t dropping and my body isn’t looking any leaner. I am eating around 1800 calories a day.

So first question is:

1)Should I switch to a full body routine 2-3 times a week for more efficient fat loss?

2)Am I eating too low of calories in comparison to my hour long steady state cardio sessions, in addition to a heavy weight split routine 4-5 a week? Which is causing me to stall on weight loss maybe cause I’m not eating enough?

Not trying to gain any more muscle, just maintain the muscle mass I have, and lose about 20 pounds overall.

I’ve been thinking of dropping weights altogether as it does often cause me to be very hungry, which I believe sometimes I’m not eating enough to compensate for energy expended healthily. And just do cardio.
    But I don’t want to just be skinny & flabby looking.

Advice and info would be great!
    Thanks!

YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How long has the scale been the same for?

Some thoughts are that your BMR is low and your calories aren't counted effectively enough. A reason why I like alternate day fasting or intermittent fasting is to reduce the overal calories consumed for people that have a hard time counting calories.

Originally Posted by YoungKid View Post
    How long has the scale been the same for?

Some thoughts are that your BMR is low and your calories aren't counted effectively enough. A reason why I like alternate day fasting or intermittent fasting is to reduce the overal calories consumed for people that have a hard time counting calories.

About 2-3 weeks now.
    Am I just being impatient?
    I was sure some weight would’ve been dropped by now.

Another point is that continuing to lift heavy and frequently makes me very hungry which I feel might be spiking up my required calorie count and I could be under eating.

craned70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KandeeMann View Post
    About 2-3 weeks now.
    Am I just being impatient?
    I was sure some weight would’ve been dropped by now.

Another point is that continuing to lift heavy and frequently makes me very hungry which I feel might be spiking up my required calorie count and I could be under eating.
    Under eating is not the reason you are not losing weight.. That's pretty counter intuitive and not really how physics works as far as I'm aware. There could be a lot of reasons you're not losing weight. Are you positive you're accurately counting the calories you're eating? you're measuring weight at the same times every day/week?

Originally Posted by craned70 View Post
    Under eating is not the reason you are not losing weight.. That's pretty counter intuitive and not really how physics works as far as I'm aware. There could be a lot of reasons you're not losing weight. Are you positive you're accurately counting the calories you're eating? you're measuring weight at the same times every day/week?

Yes, every morning before I eat or drink anything.

I believe if you train very hard, long cardio bouts and heavy lifting, and not eating enough to compensate for the energy expended, it could possibly stall your weight loss, from articles I’ve read.

If I run an hour of cardio in the morning and then lift very heavy leg workout and crush it later, and only consume about 1300 calories...don’t you think that would cause my body to slow down metabolism?

I’m not sure, just reading articles online and going off on what I’ve been feeling.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I believe if you train very hard, long cardio bouts and heavy lifting, and not eating enough to compensate for the energy expended, it could possibly stall your weight loss, from articles I’ve read.
    LOL, that couldn't be further from the truth. The body cannot maintain its weight in a caloric deficit, if it could then you would never see starving people around the world who are nothing but skin and bones.

Your body doesn't care about numbers, it only knows if it has enough energy or not, in the absence of sufficient intake calories it will turn to its fat stores. Thus the indicator of a caloric deficit is weight loss (which has nothing to do with your strength training routine). Bottom line, if you're not losing weight for 3 consecutive weeks it is apparent that you are not in a caloric deficit and you need to drop your calories further.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 01-28-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    LOL, that couldn't be further from the truth. The body cannot maintain its weight in a caloric deficit, if it could then you would never see starving people around the world who are nothing but skin and bones.

Your body doesn't care about numbers, it only knows if it has enough energy or not, in the absence of sufficient intake calories it will turn to its fat stores. Thus the indicator of a caloric deficit is weight loss (which has nothing to do with your strength training routine). Bottom line, if you're not losing weight for 3 consecutive weeks it is apparent that you are not in a caloric deficit and you need to drop your calories further.

I think you’re wrong sir.
    Working out intensely and frequently and not Eating an adequate amount of food to help repair the muscles and replenish the body can indeed lead to negative results.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Working out intensely and frequently and not Eating an adequate amount of food to help repair the muscles and replenish the body can indeed lead to negative results.
    So what part is he wrong?

Yes negative effects may happen as you will lose muscle and fat but then again you would be losing weight so that can't be happening.

You can believe what you like but images of starved individuals say otherwise. Anorexia suffers don't come that skinny from over eating I can assure you.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Negative results such as lost lean mass, ie. weight loss. When in a deficit, you have to manage what kind of weight gets lost but you will lose weight. If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Registered User dylanstephens54's Avatar
    dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So you ask for help then you tell the people giving you usefull information that they are wrong?

If you know the ins and outside of weightloss why are you asking the question in the first place

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    negative results won’t include not losing weight. If you consistently are in a weekly calorie deficit you’ll lose weight the bigger the deficit the more the loss.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) YoungKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Typically what people do is eat high protein during their cuts, to help feed the muscles for repair.
    The carbs and fats which we consume for energy will have to be restricted forcing the body to tap in to the fat storages leading to the desired fat loss.

There is some thruth about slowing metabolism when cutting too long at a deficit, but note that the difference between a great metabolism
    and a poor one is only about 300 calories. Which makes it neglible in my opinion.

For you since you are so worried about needed to over eat:
    Eating more to increase your metabolism means eating 50 calories more than your maintenance for a week, and increasing by 50 calories again and continuing that pattern until you are at your baseline. You cannot lose weight during this however. And you will need expensive tests to measure your BMR to accurately dial this in. I believe trying to focus on this will hurt your results and possible trick you into over eating.

Instead focus on a very strict low calorie diet, with amazing ingredients.

Have a small cheat meal once a week, to help the body metabolism (slightly debunked however)

Or do alternate day fasting and eat at maintenance on your nob fast day also has shown to really help the metabolism stay great.
    Last edited by YoungKid; 01-29-2020 at 07:47 AM.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight, period.

There is NO medical/special condition that allows a person to eat in a deficit over time and not lose weight.

In your case, you're claiming that working out too much and not eating enough will stall weight loss. This is just not true.
    Have a coaching, training, nutrition question? PM me!

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Typically what people do is eat high protein during their cuts, to help feed the muscles for repair.
    The carbs and fats which we consume for energy will have to be restricted forcing the body to tap in to the fat storages leading to the desired fat loss.

There is some thruth about slowing metabolism when cutting too long at a deficit, but note that the difference between a great metabolism
    and a poor one is only about 300 calories. Which makes it neglible in my opinion.

Eating more to increase your metabolism means eating 50 calories more than your maintenance for a week, and increasing by 50 calories again and continuing that pattern until you are at your baseline. You cannot lose weight during this however. And you will need expensive tests to measure your BMR to accurately dial this in. I believe trying to focus on this will hurt your results and possible trick you into over eating.

Have a small cheat meal once a week, to help the body metabolism (slightly debunked however)

Or do alternate day fasting and eat at maintenance on your job fast day also has shown to really help the metabolism stay great.
    not sure where you’re getting your metabolism info

Is there anything you wildly disagree with? I can then show you where I got that info from

Or do alternate day fasting and eat at maintenance on your nob fast day also has shown to really help the metabolism stay great.

I think you’re right.
    What I’ll do then is make damn sure I’m eating in a caloric deficit everyday, and stop lifting weights so it doesn’t cause me to be more hungry and require more calories for the muscle growth/maintenance. And I’ll just do long cardio bouts 3-4 times a week. I surely shall lose weight then, including fat and muscle.

and stop lifting weights . And I’ll just do long cardio bouts 3-4 times a week. I surely shall lose weight then, including fat and muscle.
    Why would you do this? That is a terrible idea

MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MeadxHole has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you’re right.
    What I’ll do then is make damn sure I’m eating in a caloric deficit everyday, and stop lifting weights so it doesn’t cause me to be more hungry and require more calories for the muscle growth/maintenance. And I’ll just do long cardio bouts 3-4 times a week. I surely shall lose weight then, including fat and muscle.
    wat

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Why would you do this? That is a terrible idea
    this

I think you’re right.
    Most people seem to agree that cardio is relatively ineffective at losing weight versus just restricting calories. A huge benefit of keeping up the weight lifting is to grow or maintain your muscle mass which will lead to a way better composition.

I would suggest to decrease the cardio, eat at a deficit with high proteins ( increases satiety and has a thermogenic effect of about 20% by burning calories to process it ), and continue the weight lifting. Unless you are sure you want to lose muscle.

I like taking caffeine, tea, and apple cider vinegar to fight off hunger when it arises, it's only temporary. Anecdotally, I might be hungry at night but when I sleep and wake up I'm not hungry till about noon. I find this to be the brain wanting to eat but the body not really needing it.

Most people seem to agree that cardio is relatively ineffective at losing weight versus just restricting calories. A huge benefit of keeping up the weight lifting is to grow or maintain your muscle mass which will lead to a way better composition.

I would suggest to decrease the cardio, eat at a deficit with high proteins ( increases satiety and has a thermogenic effect of about 20% by burning calories to process it ), and continue the weight lifting. Unless you are sure you want to lose muscle.

I like taking caffeine, tea, and apple cider vinegar to fight off hunger when it arises, it's only temporary. Anecdotally, I might be hungry at night but when I sleep and wake up I'm not hungry till about noon. I find this to be the brain wanting to eat but the body not really needing it.

I’m actually trying to remove mass in general, that includes fat & a little bit of muscle. Sorry I didn’t specify that before.

Reason being is that I’m going to start boxing/mma soon and I’m way too heavy for my optimal weight class.
    I apologize for the confusion everyone.

I’m actually trying to remove mass in general, that includes fat & a little bit of muscle. Sorry I didn’t specify that before.

Reason being is that I’m going to start boxing/mma soon and I’m way too heavy for my optimal weight class.
    I apologize for the confusion everyone.
    unless you’re extremely muscular you don’t want to lose muscle on purpose. Your strength will decrease along with your weight and that is not Want to do for playing Sports. You need to re think your strategy

If you BF is low ( sub 12 ) it means you only have like 20lb of fat. you will have to lose muscle to get down to 160 ( 20 lbs cut )

But my guess is that your BF is higher than that. And depending on the time frame that you have should start with cutting fat. The muscle mass keeps your BMR higher which basically translates into more bang for your diet.

newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah,

Weight lifting, particularly if you're early on, can make the scale extremely deceptive. I remember contemplating if I should slow or desist because I just wanted to see the scale go down and it was maddening. As far as conventional BF reduction it's totally a red herring though and the best choice is to keep lifting as long as the muscle is desired (or at least neutral and you don't mind it). I can't comment regarding competitive weight classes though. I did wrestling in high school and that's the last I ever had to deal with being a specific weight.

If you BF is low ( sub 12 ) it means you only have like 20lb of fat. you will have to lose muscle to get down to 160 ( 20 lbs cut )

But my guess is that your BF is higher than that. And depending on the time frame that you have should start with cutting fat. The muscle mass keeps your BMR higher which basically translates into more bang for your diet.

Yeah I agree that’s why I was posting here for some advice. I’m estimating that I’m between 15-17% BF. So I do have some fat to get rid of, but also have some muscle as well. If I could shed just a bit of muscle, and majority of fat then I should be fine.

What do u think if I switch to a full body program about 2-3 times a week to help maintain some muscle while dropping weight overall?

Yeah I agree that’s why I was posting here for some advice. I’m estimating that I’m between 15-17% BF. So I do have some fat to get rid of, but also have some muscle as well. If I could shed just a bit of muscle, and majority of fat then I should be fine.

What do u think if I switch to a full body program about 2-3 times a week to help maintain some muscle while dropping weight overall?

Sounds great

Sounds great

What full body program would you recommend?

FYI, I’m not a beginner at lifting. Been lifting for about 3 years consistently.

Squat-255
    Deadlift-265
    Bench-205

So of course I won’t be able to keep all the strength if I drop weight significantly.
    But which program would u think would suit best?

FYI, I’m not a beginner at lifting. Been lifting for about 3 years consistently.

Squat-255
    Deadlift-265
    Bench-205

So of course I won’t be able to keep all the strength if I drop weight significantly.
    I have no real advice here.
    I used greyskulls LP... and more recently an app called Fitbod which will generate workouts for you pretty effectively

TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Squat-255
    Deadlift-265
    Bench-205

Don't see why you can't increase those numbers while cutting.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Don't see why you can't increase those numbers while cutting.
    Not looking to increase any more muscle mass, and I’m trying to drop down to 155 lbs.

Not looking to increase any more muscle mass, and I’m trying to drop down to 155 lbs.
    I was way past those numbers at 145lbs. That was at the end of a cut.