chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recommendations for basement gym

Lurker for a time here.... Figured I'd reach out for recommendations. I currently go to LA fitness for my workouts, but my wife started a new work schedule (for the foreseeable future) which will cut back my 'away' time down to 3 days/week max. I'd like to drop around $1-1.5K on a setup for my basement. I have a decent space that I can fill (maybe 20'x20'). I'd like a nice squat rack, bench, dumbbells (15-65lb), and possibly a cable as well. Are the 'all-in-one' systems on Amazon total garbage quality?

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by chabike View Post
    Lurker for a time here.... Figured I'd reach out for recommendations. I currently go to LA fitness for my workouts, but my wife started a new work schedule (for the foreseeable future) which will cut back my 'away' time down to 3 days/week max. I'd like to drop around $1-1.5K on a setup for my basement. I have a decent space that I can fill (maybe 20'x20'). I'd like a nice squat rack, bench, dumbbells (15-65lb), and possibly a cable as well. Are the 'all-in-one' systems on Amazon total garbage quality?
    Yes total garbage
    Get a bolt together power rack
    Ironmaster dumbbells
    A decent flat bench
    A Olympic bar a few weights

Then some cable system later
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    Yes total garbage
    Ironmaster dumbbells
    A decent flat bench

Agree with everything but would recommend considering powerblock vs. Ironmaster, both good options but personal preferences vary and the Ironmaster Pro (lower and better pad than the original) bench is a nice option as well. For flat bench the Rep FB-5000 (consider upgrading to the wider pad)
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes total garbage
    Ironmaster dumbbells
    A decent flat bench

Pretty much this. If I were buying everything at once and trying to maximize my budget, I'd probably got with Rep Fitness, except for the dumbbells, which I'd go Ironmaster or PowerBlock. Cable system later.

chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chabike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes total garbage
    Ironmaster dumbbells
    A decent flat bench

Thanks! Any specific rack recommendations? I found the Rogue RE-3 rack, but with a bar, bench, and weights, it comes out to be $1,600. Adding in the IronMaster adjustable DBs, I'm at about $2,200 after shipping everything.

I also found a more generic rack on Amazon that looks decent. I comes packaged with an adjustable bench. Adding in a CAP olympic bar/weight combo for $410, and the ironmaster, I'm not at $1560. Right on the money. All free shipping.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I also found a more generic rack on Amazon that looks decent. I comes packaged with an adjustable bench. Adding in a CAP olympic bar/weight combo for $410, and the ironmaster, I'm not at $1560. Right on the money. All free shipping.
    Buying "generic" off of Amazon isn't recommended. Again, I'd look at Rep Fitness. If you want to stick with Amazon, they usually have Body Solid and Valor Fitness, which are generally decent. They also have Titan, which can be okay as well, but they have a reputation for hit or miss quality control.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you read any of the stickies? Buy used as much as you can. If you are buying new, stay away from crap on Amazon or in the big box stores, unless you know for sure it's good. If you can't guy a good used bench, buy a new flat bench (Rogue or Body Solid). Look for a used Oly set with bar. The bar will suck. You'll replace it with something better when you know you're serious about working out. (Yeah, everyone says they are at the start. Most aren't. Save your money until you are sure.) It used to be that Bodycraft and Body Solid had the best of the cheap racks. May still be the case. Rogue is within reason too. Stay away from Golds, Marchy, Blow-flex, and Titan.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Buying "generic" off of Amazon isn't recommended. Again, I'd look at Rep Fitness. If you want to stick with Amazon, they usually have Body Solid and Valor Fitness, which are generally decent. They also have Titan, which can be okay as well, but they have a reputation for hit or miss quality control.
    Rep Fitness may be good and someone from that company posts here, I think. Titan is often poorly constructed and the welds can be iffy.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes total garbage
    Ironmaster dumbbells
    A decent flat bench

This poster nailed it . Get a power rack and an Olympic set to start with .

I don’t have the height unfortunately,so I had to use half racks ,or squat racks their called , but they worked fine for me .
    Sold my steel dumbbells and went with Vo3 , as I like the rubber coating

Make Misc great again

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Have you read any of the stickies? Buy used as much as you can. If you are buying new, stay away from crap on Amazon or in the big box stores, unless you know for sure it's good. If you can't guy a good used bench, buy a new flat bench (Rogue or Body Solid). Look for a used Oly set with bar. The bar will suck. You'll replace it with something better when you know you're serious about working out. (Yeah, everyone says they are at the start. Most aren't. Save your money until you are sure.) It used to be that Bodycraft and Body Solid had the best of the cheap racks. May still be the case. Rogue is within reason too. Stay away from Golds, Marchy, Blow-flex, and Titan.
    I’ve been on a strict plan for 3 years now. Yeah I’m pretty serious about it. I’m just looking for ‘non-commercial gym’ options for home. Good info. Thanks!

skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Best thing I ever got for my basement was outdoor/exterior access😀. There isn’t much I can’t get down there now

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by skrebs01 View Post
    Best thing I ever got for my basement was outdoor/exterior access. There isn’t much I can’t get down there now
    A walkout basement is perfect.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    A walkout basement is perfect.

Especially with a 5--6' wide roll up door.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000) skrebs01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    Especially with a 5--6' wide roll up door.
    I couldn’t pull that off☹️

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If the CAP barbell is an OB-86B, then it should be decent. I've had good luck with their standard olympic plates, they're actually pretty close to their stated weights. Others have reported more variability.

The general advice you've been given about benches, racks and dumbbells is all good.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Hey folks - So I found a FB markteplace add with what SEEMS like a ton of value for the asking price. Can I get a gut-check on the 'Pro Star Power Rack'? Never heard of the brand, but I don't really know the manufacturers... Here is the copy/paste from the listing. All for $1200

-Pro Star Power Rack (2x3 tubular steel not the cheap 2x2 kind. This is heavy and solid )
    -Paramount adjustable bench (no rips or tears
    -Paramount Bench Press(heavy and sturdy, no wobble, rips or tears).
    -Body Sport Plyo Boxes
    (6) 45lb steel plates
    (2) 35lb steel plates
    (4) 25lb steel plates
    (2) 10lb steel plates
    (2) 5lb steel plates.
    (4) York Rubber 45lb Bumpers
    (2) 70lb dumbbells
    Suspension Trainer
    144 sq ft of 3/4 inch rubber mats
    (1) 45lb barbell.
    Kettlebells 1 each- 15lbs,20lbs,25lbs,30lbs,35lbs,40lbs

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey folks - So I found a FB markteplace add with what SEEMS like a ton of value for the asking price. Can I get a gut-check on the 'Pro Star Power Rack'? Never heard of the brand, but I don't really know the manufacturers... Here is the copy/paste from the listing. All for $1200

-Pro Star Power Rack (2x3 tubular steel not the cheap 2x2 kind. This is heavy and solid )
    -Body Sport Plyo Boxes
    (6) 45lb steel plates
    (2) 35lb steel plates
    (4) 25lb steel plates
    (2) 10lb steel plates
    (2) 5lb steel plates.
    (2) 70lb dumbbells
    Suspension Trainer
    (1) 45lb barbell.
    ProStar is ok. They made several different racks, so it depend son whether it's a half rack, full rack w/ flip down safeties, etc. The Paramount adjustable bench is pretty decent. Those usually go for about $200 here. The fixed bench press, for me, would be a flip. If you have a rack and an adjustable bench, it seems superfluous. Plyo boxes would be a flip for me also, but if you're into Crossfit, then maybe they're a keep. 70 lb DBs are pretty random, so I would flip those also. Suspension trainer, ditto. And ditto again on flipping the kettlebells, but if you use them, great. $1,200 sounds fair, though I'd probably offer $1K and then flip the aforementioned items for ~$500. :P

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    ProStar is ok. They made several different racks, so it depend son whether it's a half rack, full rack w/ flip down safeties, etc. The Paramount adjustable bench is pretty decent. Those usually go for about $200 here. The fixed bench press, for me, would be a flip. If you have a rack and an adjustable bench, it seems superfluous. Plyo boxes would be a flip for me also, but if you're into Crossfit, then maybe they're a keep. 70 lb DBs are pretty random, so I would flip those also. Suspension trainer, ditto. And ditto again on flipping the kettlebells, but if you use them, great. $1,200 sounds fair, though I'd probably offer $1K and then flip the aforementioned items for ~$500. :P

This.

Quick calculation shows about $1000 value for the plates, rack, and adjustable bench. Keep or flip the remaining pieces based on your training style and/or needs, but the price seems pretty decent to me for a complete setup.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Exactly my opinion too.

Id want to add more plates in the smaller weights, I like to set up several "stations" and just move around as I work out without having to set up specialty bars and such with the nickles and dimes.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Check local listings twice a day at least, put the range out to 100 miles or so, you will see a decent used power rack pretty quickly. Same with benches. It will save you a lot of money that you can put towards more equipment. You probably need to buy your bar new though, because people don't sell nice bars.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

-Body Sport Plyo Boxes
    (6) 45lb steel plates
    (2) 35lb steel plates
    (4) 25lb steel plates
    (2) 10lb steel plates
    (2) 5lb steel plates.
    (2) 70lb dumbbells
    Suspension Trainer
    (1) 45lb barbell.
    Looks like a good turn key system. Could get some more change plates, more dumbbells (powerblocks, ironmaster), and a cardio device of your choosing and you'd be set for a long time.

VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTLifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I may face some disagreement here, but I would strongly consider keeping an eye out for old school adjustable spinlock handles + standard weights as opposed to spending a lot more (likely >$350, if you can even find them) for powerblocks.

This partially depends on how you use dumbbells. I would say do NOT consider spinlocks is if you do supersets / drop sets / constantly change weight between sets. But if you do a warmup or two and then 3-5 sets of your work weight, I think adjustable spin-locks are great.

I would use the likely $300+ savings to upgrade your other pieces or buy more gear.

Note that I've never used powerblocks or ironmasters, but I was doing a ton of research and planning to buy them until I started with spinlocks and I have no desire to upgrade.

Why consider:
    Both the handles and standard plates are constantly available online and you can often get them for nothing ($0.35 / lb). i.e. you could probably get 150lbs of standard plates and handles for <$70 if you regularly look online. Not exactly risking much if you decide you don't love them. And if you want to upgrade later, might as well keep these and use them as fixed weight dumbbells.

You can buy microplates and/or large washers which will let you microload to the pound (i.e. you could make 40lb, 41lb, 42lb, etc.. dumbbells) - much better for progression. You cannot do that with powerblocks/ironmasters (at least without clever DIY solutions).

The handles are a little skinny, but I bought hockey tape to wrap them and I love it. Make it as thick or as skinny as you'd like. I spent $7 on tape that will probably last me a couple of years.

Once you get used to changing them and the little tightening/loosening trick, it is relatively quick to swap out weights.

The dumbbells feel normal for all exercises and are incredibly safe overhead. I know some have felt powerblocks can be awkward on certain movements.

Also, you'll probably want an incline bench at some point, so I would try to get a decent adjustable bench from day one as opposed to standard flat bench.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post
    I may face some disagreement here, but I would strongly consider keeping an eye out for old school adjustable spinlock handles + standard weights as opposed to spending a lot more (likely >$350, if you can even find them) for powerblocks.

This partially depends on how you use dumbbells. I would say do NOT consider spinlocks is if you do supersets / drop sets / constantly change weight between sets. But if you do a warmup or two and then 3-5 sets of your work weight, I think adjustable spin-locks are great.

I would use the likely $300+ savings to upgrade your other pieces or buy more gear.

Note that I've never used powerblocks or ironmasters, but I was doing a ton of research and planning to buy them until I started with spinlocks and I have no desire to upgrade.

Why consider:
    Both the handles and standard plates are constantly available online and you can often get them for nothing ($0.35 / lb). i.e. you could probably get 150lbs of standard plates and handles for <$70 if you regularly look online. Not exactly risking much if you decide you don't love them. And if you want to upgrade later, might as well keep these and use them as fixed weight dumbbells.

You can buy microplates and/or large washers which will let you microload to the pound (i.e. you could make 40lb, 41lb, 42lb, etc.. dumbbells) - much better for progression. You cannot do that with powerblocks/ironmasters (at least without clever DIY solutions).

The handles are a little skinny, but I bought hockey tape to wrap them and I love it. Make it as thick or as skinny as you'd like. I spent $7 on tape that will probably last me a couple of years.

Once you get used to changing them and the little tightening/loosening trick, it is relatively quick to swap out weights.

The dumbbells feel normal for all exercises and are incredibly safe overhead. I know some have felt powerblocks can be awkward on certain movements.

Also, you'll probably want an incline bench at some point, so I would try to get a decent adjustable bench from day one as opposed to standard flat bench.
    It really depends on your available space. I have a similar setup to you with a lot of standard plates. Right now I have the plates on SDH handles preset to 25, 40, 50, 60, and 75, I don't like to take them apart often. I really love the handles as they are the stainless CFF 38mm thick handles, most comfortable handles I've ever used. However, if I moved to a smaller place I would probably consider switching to Ironmasters. The amount of utility you get from Ironmaster or Powerblocks is quite good considering the stand with dumbbells on it takes up like 2'x2' floor space. Also microloading can be done with Ironmasters as they take a 1" sized plate, they are essentially a standard handle.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post

Why consider:

I think cost is the only real benefit. A couple magnets and some plates will allow you to add any increment you wish to Powerblocks, Ironmasters or fixed DBs. In any case, I'm only at a low level of disagreement here as I don't think there's a single right answer. It all depends on what the individual user's wants/needs are.

I think cost is the only real benefit. A couple magnets and some plates will allow you to add any increment you wish to Powerblocks, Ironmasters or fixed DBs. In any case, I'm only at a low level of disagreement here as I don't think there's a single right answer. It all depends on what the individual user's wants/needs are.
    Yes and no. Yes, you can utilize magnets to add additional weight to Powerblocks, but the plates simply won't stay in place. Even four large (quarter-sized) neodymium magnets aren't enough to hold a 10lb plate in place without some sort of additional adhesive. Once you add adhesive, the "add-on" weight becomes fixed in place and is no longer conveniently removable. If it were really that simple, more people would do it. Been there. Done that.

Spinlocks aren't the most convenient, but they do make it far easier and more cost-effective for most home gym owners to build 100+ lb dbs.

Yes and no. Yes, you can utilize magnets to add additional weight to Powerblocks, but the plates simply won't stay in place. Even four large (quarter-sized) neodymium magnets aren't enough to hold a 10lb plate in place without some sort of additional adhesive. Once you add adhesive, the "add-on" weight becomes fixed in place and is no longer conveniently removable. If it were really that simple, more people would do it. Been there. Done that.

Spinlocks aren't the most convenient, but they do make it far easier and more cost-effective for most home gym owners to build 100+ lb dbs.
    Agreed that sticking plates via magnet isn't doable, but you can micro-load with the magnet itself. I use platemates, which are very expensive, but there are DIY ways to create the same thing for cheaper.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Agreed that sticking plates via magnet isn't doable, but you can micro-load with the magnet itself. I use platemates, which are very expensive, but there are DIY ways to create the same thing for cheaper.
    I have an older Personal Plus 65lb set that I think I could safely expand up to 105 each by fabbing a couple bolt-on plate horns to each one. Something along the lines of some pipe flanges and short pieces of 1" diameter pipe.

I don't think it's really worth the hassle, but it could be done easily.

If you read the post I was replying to, you'll see that my reply was in regards to microloading for increments not available on PB or IM (in other words <= 2.49 lbs). I think trying to load 10 lb plates on with magnets is a very bad idea.