kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Powerlifting / General strength routine

Mon
    Squat variation 5x1 over 90%
    Hyperextension / GHR 5x10
    DB overhead press 3x10 ~65%

Wed
    Bench 5x3 ~85%
    DB row 3x8-12
    Pullups 3x amrap @8-9

Fri
    Deadlift variation 3x1 over 90%
    Squat 5x5 ~75%
    Db overhead press 3x5+ ~80%

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 ~75%
    Cable row 5x5 ~80%
    Dips 3x10+

SQUAT VARIATIONS 5x1
    Pin squat at parallel
    Front squat
    Pause Squat
    Or
    Squat 1x10 max weight

BENCH VARIATIONS all 5x5
    Pause bench
    Close grip bench
    Extra wide grip bench
    Pin press from chest
    Spoto press
    Feet up bench
    Or
    Pushups x max reps

DEADLIFT VARIATIONS 3x1
    Sumo Deadlift
    Deficit deadlift
    Paused deadlift
    Or
    Romanian Deadlift 1x10 max weight
    Good morning 5x5 ~75%

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

My program, based on Westside but my own adjustments for raw lifting.

For squat and Deadlift I do 5x1 or 3x1 on different variations each week for 3 weeks then on week 4 I do some light reps instead to let my body recover.

For the smaller assistance exercises I try to beat last week's reps with the same weight or vice versa.

On bench I just do 5x3 every week and increase weight by 2.5kg. If I cannot progress any further I will reduce weight by 15% of 1rm and do more sets for a few weeks while building back up to the previous PR weight.

I train 1 day on 1 day off and sometimes do a quick 10 minutes on a heavy bag after lifting and also do a lot of cycling in a very hilly city.

If anyone has any suggestions to improve my program please let me know. Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

Edit: I should also mention that I have been training for about 2.5 years, 26 years old, 78kg bodyweight and best lifts so far are S:140kg, B:112.5kg, D:180kg.
    Last edited by kevbozz; 01-28-2020 at 02:50 PM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    for me I would need a lot more bench and deadlift volume. (not necessarily comp, assistance and supplemental work as well)
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kevbozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    for me I would need a lot more bench and deadlift volume. (not necessarily comp, assistance and supplemental work as well)
    How would you add this to program if it was you personally and why?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kevbozz View Post
    How would you add this to program if it was you personally and why?
    I would deadlift on day 4, and bench every session in some form. (never the same variation twice though)
    5 day full body crew

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That looks an awful like Texas method with a sprinkle of conjugate...

Definitely should replace the max singles with 3x3 between 80-85%. I would do 3x3 for intensity work and 5x5 for volume (except deadlifts, do a 5RM or 3RM after a warm up and leave it at that). After all, your in the gym to build strength, not to constantly test it with near max loads.

Last thing I noticed is you said this is a powerlifting routine, why include overhead pressing at all? Your shoulders will be plenty taxed from bench press. If hypertrophy is the concern, I’d throw in some lateral/bent lateral raises for the shoulders. That way they recover and stay happy and healthy.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 01-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks good.

I run a WS template myself. I adhere to the dynamic waves for the most part, but essentially have my own progression scheme on ME days like you do.

Only issue I have is 90% work on both the squat and deadlift each week. I do see the squat volume on Friday but hypers are the only posterior assistance exercise 1x a week.

Perhaps you could alternate each week such as, 90% squat then friday deadlift volume. Next week, 90% deadlift then Monday squat volume.

BUT, if you're progressing, feel good and aren't prone to injury then go for it. I think it'll eventually catch up to you though.

With the shoulder work, I'd have one day dedicated to heavy / volume work and the other day repetition kind of work. But again if you're progressing, ride that wave as long as you can!

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    That looks an awful like Texas method with a sprinkle of conjugate...

Definitely should replace the max singles with 3x3 between 80-85%. I would do 3x3 for intensity work and 5x5 for volume (except deadlifts, do a 5RM or 3RM after a warm up and leave it at that). After all, your in the gym to build strength, not to constantly test it with near max loads.

Last thing I noticed is you said this is a powerlifting routine, why include overhead pressing at all? Your shoulders will be plenty taxed from bench press. If hypertrophy is the concern, I’d throw in some lateral/bent lateral raises for the shoulders. That way they recover and stay happy and healthy.
    I just figured the overhead press is probably the most efficient shoulder exercise and I mainly just use it as active recovery for the bench.

When you say change the Deadlift to 3x3, do you mean the standard Deadlift or continue using variations? When I say 90% I mean 90% of my max for that variation, so if my max on pause deadlift is 160kg, it is still less than 90% of my Deadlift max so it doesn't wear me out too much.

I'm not a powerlifter but I train for strength and take pretty much all my information from
    powerlifting sources.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just figured the overhead press is probably the most efficient shoulder exercise and I mainly just use it as active recovery for the bench.

When you say change the Deadlift to 3x3, do you mean the standard Deadlift or continue using variations? When I say 90% I mean 90% of my max for that variation, so if my max on pause deadlift is 160kg, it is still less than 90% of my Deadlift max so it doesn't wear me out too much.

I'm not a powerlifter but I train for strength and take pretty much all my information from
    powerlifting sources.

Personally, I ONLY pull off the floor, conventional of course and bench with “power lifter” form. I stay away from anything wide grip for bench as that is an easy way to tweak your shoulder, your shoulders may fare better but it is something you will have to experiment with.

I said I would limit the deadlifts to a 5RM or 3rm. You don’t want volume dead’s they will kill your lower back recovery. For example on my volume day, I do 5x5 SSB squats and a 5RM deadlift, followed by 3x10 leg curls and 3x10 back extensions. My next week I do 3x3 SSB squats and a 3rm deadlift and the same 3x10 exercises. I can’t stress it enough the deadlift at higher numbers will over train you and it WILL mess with your progress.

As far as pressing goes, myself and others posted you really could use more bench volume and that will tax your shoulders pretty thoroughly. Any more pressing will probably cut into your recovery. Again, using myself as an example, I’ll do bench 5x5 or 3x3, barbell rows 5x5 after warming up with 185 and going up to around 275-295 then I’ll do 3x10 lateral raises and 3x10 Tricep push downs.

What are you current stats? Weight, age and numbers (bench, squat, dead)?
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 01-29-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Personally, I ONLY pull off the floor, conventional of course and bench with “power lifter” form. I stay away from anything wide grip for bench as that is an easy way to tweak your shoulder, your shoulders may fare better but it is something you will have to experiment with.

I said I would limit the deadlifts to a 5RM or 3rm. You don’t want volume dead’s they will kill your lower back recovery. For example on my volume day, I do 5x5 SSB squats and a 5RM deadlift, followed by 3x10 leg curls and 3x10 back extensions. My next week I do 3x3 SSB squats and a 3rm deadlift and the same 3x10 exercises. I can’t stress it enough the deadlift at higher numbers will over train you and it WILL mess with your progress.

As far as pressing goes, myself and others posted you really could use more bench volume and that will tax your shoulders pretty thoroughly. Any more pressing will probably cut into your recovery. Again, using myself as an example, I’ll do bench 5x5 or 3x3, barbell rows 5x5 after warming up with 185 and going up to around 275-295 then I’ll do 3x10 lateral raises and 3x10 Tricep push downs.

What are you current stats? Weight, age and numbers (bench, squat, dead)?
    I am 78kg, 26 years old, and my current maxes are probably around S:130kg, B:100kg, D:165kg as I have not been training much recently and just got back in the gym.

I am 78kg, 26 years old, and my current maxes are probably around S:130kg, B:100kg, D:165kg as I have not been training much recently and just got back in the gym.
    Stick to the basic bench, squat and deadlift for your big compound lifts. No need to do Spoto presses, rack pulls, and ESPECIALLY NOT good mornings (unless you have practiced them thoroughly or preferably had coaching in their proper form)

This is how your program should look in my opinion:

Mon
    Squat variation 3x3 80-90%
    Hyperextension / GHR 5x10
    DB overhead press 3x10

Wed
    Bench 3x3 80-85%
    Row 5x5 SHOULD BE HEAVY
    Pullups/chin ups 3x amrap @8-9

Fri
    Deadlift 5RM
    Squat 5x5 ~75%
    Db overhead press 3x10

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 70-75%
    Row 5x5 SHOULD BE HEAVY
    Dips 3x10+

Not a huge difference from your original post, but with some small but meaningful changes that will keep you progressing and preventing burnout. For rows, pick a row, any row, but MAKE IT HEAVY. That is the best compound lift for the back and counteracts all that internal rotation from benching
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 01-29-2020 at 12:52 PM.

So far, taking you guys opinions into account, this is what I have decided to change

Mon
    Squat 8x3 75-80-85% 3 week waves
    DB Overhead press 5x5 80%
    Hyperextension / GHR 4x10
    Lateral raise/ rear delts etc

Wed
    Bench 5x3 ~85%
    DB row 3x8-12 ~70%
    Pullups 3x amrap@8-9
    Triceps assistance work

Fri
    Squat 5x5 ~75%
    Close grip bench 3x10 ~65% of bench max
    GHR / Hyperextension 3x20

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 75%
    Cable row 5x5 ~80%
    Dips 3x10+
    Pullups 5x amrap @7

So far, taking you guys opinions into account, this is what I have decided to change

Mon

Wed
    Bench 5x3 ~85%
    DB row 3x8-12 ~70%
    Pullups 3x amrap@8-9
    Triceps assistance work

Fri
    Squat 5x5 ~75%

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 75%
    Cable row 5x5 ~80%
    Dips 3x10+
    Pullups 5x amrap @7
    That looks a lot better, and it is great you kept a row variation with your bench days. Don’t hold to the percentage work, that is a base line not a hard and fast rule. Your lifts are good enough that you know how your body feels so you can auto-regulate. If you feel like going heavier do it, feeling tired back down the weight.

Mon

Wed
    Bench 5x3 ~85%
    DB row 3x8-12 ~70%
    Pullups 3x amrap@8-9
    Triceps assistance work

Fri
    Squat 5x5 ~75%

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 75%
    Cable row 5x5 ~80%
    Dips 3x10+
    Pullups 5x amrap @7
    I would add pause deadlifts to Sunday.

1@8, 4@8 - 5% z 2sets personally
    5 day full body crew

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Mon

Wed
    Bench 5x3 ~85%
    DB row 3x8-12 ~70%
    Pullups 3x amrap@8-9
    Triceps assistance work

Fri
    Squat 5x5 ~75%

Sun
    Bench variation 5x5 75%
    Cable row 5x5 ~80%
    Dips 3x10+
    Pullups 5x amrap @7
    To touch on the heavy deadlifts:

I know Louie over the years has recommended to stay away from pulling heavy off the floor (comp stance) in training - and that the deadlift is built via squat based exercises and accessories.

As much as I love the template, and agree that in general this can be good advice, I think that this approach comes from training for a specific style of powerlifting where multi ply gear and squat depth facilitates that (lots of wide stance box squatting).

You mentioned you weren't necessarily training for powerliftering but general strength. I think there would be better options with the deadlift programming.

Perhaps wave the deadlift intensity against your squats. So on the 75% squat week 8x3, you could do your 90%+ singles on the deadlift that Friday. Then the next two weeks where you are ramping up your Monday squat intensity, you could then do some kind of deadlift volume work. So 3x3 on the second week (80% squats), then 3x5 or 5x5 on the third week (85% squats).

This way your sort of balancing the intensity between the two big lifts.

I think I'm splitting hairs, but for long term progression and sound programming this is (loosely) how I would approach your template. I also think if you're having fun and progressing, then don't change anything. But revisit the programming if/when you do stall.

Benching 5x3 85% Wednesday, with CGBP 3x10 65% Friday and bench 5x5 ~75% Sunday is a pretty solid amount of volume and intensity for 3x benching a week. I see you don't have any bench accessories so that might allow you to progress. But the (potential) issue I see is progressing this bench setup with the shoulder work. Monday we have 5x5 on overhead press AND lateral raises (two days before 5x3 bench @ 85%, which is your bread and butter day). Perhaps move the lateral work to Friday, or you could even do them after benching on Weds / Sun.

Overall I think it's sound for your goal of general strength. Good balance of everything.

Throw some curls and ab work in there