Thread: Keto diet doubt

Maoll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Keto diet doubt

I have read a lot about the keto diet but i have one doubt...

All websites state that you will burn "fat" instead of carbohydrates.

But they dont specify which fat: stored bodyfat, or the fat you are eating for energy, instead of carbohydrates!
    Even on a standard diet you burn bodyfat, so whats the point...?

I am perplexed.

MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969 MADgainz6969
    if you wanna burn bodyfat eat less calories than you burn, thats it, just eat less calories, keto is uncecessary

Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Teague242 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Maoll View Post

But they dont specify which fat: stored bodyfat, or the fat you are eating for energy, instead of carbohydrates!

I am perplexed.
    You’re overthinking it.

You lose weight when your body burns fat stores.

With keto your body is switching to burning dietary fat for fuel.

In order to lose weight on Keto you need to be in a caloric deficit, that’s when you start burning body fat.
    Bench: 335x1 1/29/19
    Squat: 385x1 2/27/20
    Deadlift: 377x1 2/12/20
    OHP: 205x1 12/17/18

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes KETO burns fat however it burns the most recently ingested fat before tapping into stored fat so it comes down to taking in fewer calories than you burn whether you do KETO or not. It isn't a backdoor approach to tapping into stored fat.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Maoll View Post

I am perplexed.
    See bold. The fact that you actually noticed this distinction through all the smoke and mirrors is encouraging. Every time I hear someone say they are a "fat burner" I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Thankfully the keto slow death is near complete.

So yes, you are correct that your body will start with consumed fat to fill its energy needs, and will only burn body fat in a deficit.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes you burn more fat on a keto diet.

You also store more... because you are eating more compared to an equivalent diet that contains carbs instead of fat for some of the calores

Bottom line: to burn NET body fat, you need a calorie deficit and that's it.

AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by broganoff View Post
    See bold. The fact that you actually noticed this distinction through all the smoke and mirrors is encouraging. Every time I hear someone say they are a "fat burner" I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Thankfully the keto slow death is near complete.

So yes, you are correct that your body will start with consumed fat to fill its energy needs, and will only burn body fat in a deficit.
    I have been reading up and watching videos on keto, too, and I did not catch this. Very good to know and really shoots the diet down for me, personally. I have been highly suspicious of keto from the beginning, though. I take it many on this site are not advocates of it?

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AbeFroman12 View Post
    I have been reading up and watching videos on keto, too, and I did not catch this. Very good to know and really shoots the diet down for me, personally. I have been highly suspicious of keto from the beginning, though. I take it many on this site are not advocates of it?
    Its not so much that no one advocates for it but rather we are quick to shoot down all the nonsense that people have been led to believe. Its routinely touted as some magical weightloss wonder. This is likely because of the initial rapid weightloss via water/glycogen loss. However, if someone truly enjoys following the keto diet and its working for them then all the power to them to continue.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrownBear1968 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IMHO, keto and low carb are more appropriate for people:

-morbidly obese
    -developed type 2 diabetic for bad habits (usually the same group as above)
    -who suffers with epilepsy

The first two groups mentioned above are the ones that insulin do not function as expected. It is like a treatment. Some of these people need to be on keto for the rest of their lives.

Although, some of them can put type 2 diabetes in a regulated condition (without meds, only food) and, slowly, can add limited amounts of carbs larger than 50 g.

If you are in a healty situation, or you are at 10, 20, even 40 pounds above, and do not have type 2 diabetes, keto diet is not a necessity.

A short conversation that covers the two people I mentioned is here (but not directly about keto):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiQevGDPgRY
    Last edited by BrownBear1968; 01-29-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: I added a Joe Rogan conversation

AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbeFroman12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Definitely sounds like it is not for me based on your comments. Thanks for sharing that, by the way. Good to know!

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    For people that are better satiated with fats than carbs and don’t count calories KETO is beneficial as the higher satiety of the fats keeps hunger at bay so fewer calories are needed to stave off hunger so lower overall calories are consumed
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    For people that are better satiated with fats than carbs and don’t count calories KETO is beneficial as the higher satiety of the fats keeps hunger at bay so fewer calories are needed to stave off hunger so lower overall calories are consumed
    Thats exactly why I did it....& inititally I couldnt be bothered to count cals either, (I am doing now though).
    But now, I am not sure its sustainable - but credit where its due - it did help me. Am really curious if I can push myself further in terms of intensity/power by introducing a "normal" balanced diet.