craned70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

26m 5'8" 160lbs 24% BF - Should I cut?

Basically it's all in the subject. Beginning bodybuildling / weightlifting and want to know whether I should lose some fat first and then start to recomp? or just recomp at my current weight?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by craned70; 01-27-2020 at 02:28 PM.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by craned70 View Post
    Basically it's all in the subject. Beginning bodybuildling / weightlifting and want to know whether I should lose some fat first and then start to recomp? or just recomp at my current weight?
    Post a photo, we can't give advice until we see one.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

I took my bodyfat measurement using the navy method with stomach / neck measurements I cant post a photo cause there's a 50 post requirement.. damnit

Ok, I posted the photo to my gallery. Sorry still figuring out the sites features and navigation.

Edit: Attached image to OP.
    Last edited by craned70; 01-27-2020 at 02:29 PM.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cut on a decent deficit with enough protein while lifting on a proven program to retain muscle.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Cut on a decent deficit with enough protein while lifting on a proven program to retain muscle.
    Thanks, this is what I figured but I didn't wanna go on a cut for weeks without some backup to my decision!

shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This right here for sure. If you are new to lifting you can build muscle and lose fat much easier. Check out the weight lifting programs they have posted here and buy yourself a scale to weigh your food and log it into MyFitnessPal app to make sure you are hitting your deficit and getting enough protein

Originally Posted by shmanks View Post
    This right here for sure. If you are new to lifting you can build muscle and lose fat much easier. Check out the weight lifting programs they have posted here and buy yourself a scale to weigh your food and log it into MyFitnessPal app to make sure you are hitting your deficit and getting enough protein
    Got the food tracking on lock, and been doing AllPro's beginner routine for 2 weeks!

Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    He doesn't have any muscle though

Just cut with no concern about muscle until you're lean

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Behem0th View Post

Terrible advice

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

He doesn't have any muscle though

If I weigh 160lbs with 24% bodyfat that means ~122lbs of my body is lean muscle mass. If I were to cut with no concern for that it would probably drop quite a bit along with my weight, if I eat a lot of protein and keep weight training while keeping the cut at an acceptable level a lot of that muscle mass can be preserved. Tommy W. is right, terrible advice. GTFO

Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Behem0th is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by craned70 View Post
    If I weigh 160lbs with 24% bodyfat that means ~122lbs of my body is lean muscle mass. If I were to cut with no concern for that it would probably drop quite a bit along with my weight, if I eat a lot of protein and keep weight training while keeping the cut at an acceptable level a lot of that muscle mass can be preserved. Tommy W. is right, terrible advice. GTFO
    No, 122 lbs is lean mass. Meaning bones, organs, and some muscle (but not much). His advice would make sense if you've been lifting for a while and packed on a decent amount of muscle from said lifting. No offense but you don't look like you've ever lifted, so what's the point in cutting like a bodybuilder when you can maximize fat loss now and focus on building muscle on a lean frame later?

No, 122 lbs is lean mass. Meaning bones, organs, and some muscle (but not much). His advice would make sense if you've been lifting for a while and packed on a decent amount of muscle from said lifting. No offense but you don't look like you've ever lifted, so what's the point in cutting like a bodybuilder when you can maximize fat loss now and focus on building muscle on a lean frame later?
    First, sorry for being rude in my first reply. Could you elaborate on what you mean when you say cut with no concern to muscle? dont workout and dont worry about hitting protein? "no concern for muscle" just seemed like bad advice to me. Im already working out and hitting protein goals, why stop that habit?

its about maintaining existing muscle which is important. Enough protein and a solid training program assures that as much muscle as possible will be preserved. Dieting down with no weight training and you end up with a smaller version of your formal self due to muscle loss along with fatloss.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd go for recomp at current weight. Beginner gains will come (albeit relatively slowly) with a slight caloric deficit and solid workout plan.
    The only way to do something is to do it

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM

Originally Posted by nemLifts View Post
    I'd go for recomp at current weight. Beginner gains will come (albeit relatively slowly) with a slight caloric deficit and solid workout plan.
    Recomps can fail miserably and end up being wasted time in most cases

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB