Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User dylanstephens54's Avatar
    dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Working out on empty stomach yes or no?

I have been working out every morning on a empty stomach for past 2-3 months

Have had few people tell me to eat before i go but when I have it has made 0 diffrence to how I feel energy wise

I go to gym at 6am every morning before work

And eat pretty much straight after gym all I have in stomach during workout is my pre

Opinions? Specialy from people that work out early morning

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As long as you can have the same energy and intensity, it’s totally fine.

However, this does increase the importance of post-workout protein within a tighter timeframe.
    The power of carbs compels me!

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For me I suck if I work out fasted any time of the day.

Morning especially as all I can do is think of food and end up rushing my workout so I can go and get some.

But as Adam stated if you feel no ill effect from fasted training then its fine.

Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post

Morning especially as all I can do is think of food and end up rushing my workout so I can go and get some.

But as Adam stated if you feel no ill effect from fasted training then its fine.
    Same.

The lack of focus is more debilitating than the actual hunger.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Same.

The lack of focus is more debilitating than the actual hunger.

I can train REALLY well without solid food, but not with zero calories in me.

My best workouts are usually the ones where I get in something light beforehand, such as a smoothie with something like 40-50g of carbs and some protein in there..

I've had a really good response to a simple banana, spinach, protein powder smoothie blended with coconut water.

But yeah, not on zero carbs... just doesn't work out well.

dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dylanstephens54 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post

My best workouts are usually the ones where I get in something light beforehand, such as a smoothie with something like 40-50g of carbs and some protein in there..

I've had a really good response to a simple banana, spinach, protein powder smoothie blended with coconut water.

I might try having a banana or simple protein powder shake before workout for a 2 weeks see if i notice any noticeable diffrence

Maybe I am just used to lacking the energy that it's become normal feeling of energy standard will test it out

My pre seems to give me insane energy though just I also sont want body to eat muscle gains if empty stomach

JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000) JoshLV is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I like training on semi empty stomach. I just have a protein shake with water,banana,coconut oil beforehand. Then sip my intra workout throughout.
    Signed,

Koala T. Post

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dylanstephens54 View Post
    I might try having a banana or simple protein powder shake before workout for a 2 weeks see if i notice any noticeable diffrence

Maybe I am just used to lacking the energy that it's become normal feeling of energy standard will test it out

My pre seems to give me insane energy though just I also sont want body to eat muscle gains if empty stomach
    You don't need to worry about that working out fasted will not cause muscle catabolism. Fasting itself won't cause it as long as its not taken too extreme.

As we stated it is personal see how you feel it may cause better performance or may make you feel sluggish and slightly sick it completely depends on the individual.

I can personally consume a whole meal and then workout near enough straight away whilst some people feel sick.

You don't need to worry about that working out fasted will not cause muscle catabolism. Fasting itself won't cause it as long as its not taken too extreme.

As we stated it is personal see how you feel it may cause better performance or may make you feel sluggish and slightly sick it completely depends on the individual.

I can personally consume a whole meal and then workout near enough straight away whilst some people feel sick.
    Why I stoped eating before workout is because on leg day every single time I did leg press I would feel like I'm going to throw up then kind of just stoped eating beforehand on other days aswell

Why I stoped eating before workout is because on leg day every single time I did leg press I would feel like I'm going to throw up then kind of just stoped eating beforehand on other days aswell
    Definitely experiment and see what works.

Try a basic banana + whey smoothie, and see if that works.

If not, you can always try something like an EAA powder in coconut water for some carbs and aminos during the training, and it shouldn’t need to digest at all. It’ll give you a little carb bump and could help with recovery.

Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kylehero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I try and eat at the very least a banana no sooner than 30 min before my workout If it’s first thing in the am. Otherwise breakfast/lunch should sustain me.

This just personal preference since I’ve come close to bonking during long distance cycling and realize the food is literally the fuel you need to provide energy during exercise.
    Controlled Labs- White Flash Log

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175716801

Definitely experiment and see what works.

Try a basic banana + whey smoothie, and see if that works.

If not, you can always try something like an EAA powder in coconut water for some carbs and aminos during the training, and it shouldn’t need to digest at all. It’ll give you a little carb bump and could help with recovery.

https://imgur.com/SBZBJvG

Current protein powder I use but I do not think its whey based

Better to get a whey based protein powder you think?

https://imgur.com/SBZBJvG

Current protein powder I use but I do not think its whey based

Better to get a whey based protein powder you think?
    It contains Milk Protein which contains whey... it's totally fine!

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fasted training. 20 years and counting. 3.1234 gulps of Folgers and out the door at 3:00am sharp.

Whatever allows you to have the most productive training sessions is what you should do.

Experiment.
    Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I've actually been experimenting this past week with eating about 500-600 calories of real food about 30-45mins before my workouts. Used to not be able to move around as well doing that. Figured since I'm gaining and just trying to focus on my lifts, it would be the best time to play around with it. Didn't go too badly actually, still prefer something light though.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

I've actually been experimenting this past week with eating about 500-600 calories of real food about 30-45mins before my workouts. Used to not be able to move around as well doing that. Figured since I'm gaining and just trying to focus on my lifts, it would be the best time to play around with it. Didn't go too badly actually, still prefer something light though.
    I mean if i COULD workout with more solid food I would, but I have pretty bad reflux issues and solids take longer to get out of my stomach

jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlsnyderTypeR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've trained fasted most of my life, and it works best for me personally. IMHO, it seems counterproductive to share my workout energy with my digestive system.
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**
    -- 2020 A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**

Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post
    I've trained fasted most of my life, and it works best for me personally. IMHO, it seems counterproductive to share my workout energy with my digestive system.
    Well, you can eat far enough out so that you don't have foods in your stomach... I mean you'll always have some food in your colon... so... you're always kind of digesting.

Also, having available amino acids and glucose is quite productive for strength training, and you need some kind of calorie source to keep the levels peaked.

Not saying it's optimal for you, just saying it's not 'counterproductive', otherwise it'd be far more common.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I seem to workout best if I've eaten an hour or two beforehand. If I've eaten say half an hour before then my workouts are typically sluggish. I tend to find that once I start working out, I forget about food. That is, until I start fiddling with MFP in between sets :-)

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the morning fasted I do great with cardio but weight lifting I need carbs at least right after (my blood sugar drops too low like under 50 with out them) either or I need caffeine. What are your morning work outs like op?
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    I seem to workout best if I've eaten an hour or two beforehand. If I've eaten say half an hour before then my workouts are typically sluggish. I tend to find that once I start working out, I forget about food. That is, until I start fiddling with MFP in between sets :-)
    Fiddling with mfp? Why?

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    In the morning fasted I do great with cardio but weight lifting I need carbs at least right after (my blood sugar drops too low like under 50 with out them) either or I need caffeine. What are your morning work outs like op?
    Same, fasted (LISS) cardio is about the only kind of training I can do without food and not notice a big bit to performance

I mean if i COULD workout with more solid food I would, but I have pretty bad reflux issues and solids take longer to get out of my stomach
    Ah I see I see.

I seem to be the opposite. My stomach empties rather quickly compared to most (I think). As far as energy and strength, I couldn't really notice a difference actually, despite the energy demands of heavier digestion. The real benefit I noticed was sustained focus without getting a little hungry and "off-track" towards the end of my workouts. Which WAS huge.

Still, like I said, would prefer eating something around 400-500 calories or so of easily digestible foods with at least 20g protein and 50g carbs. Can't really pinpoint why though, besides it just being more familiar territory ha

I swear that's like the kiss of death for someone trying to stave off hunger for whatever reason. When I'm tracking using apps, the moment I decide what I'm going to eat and put it in, my body realizes its GAME ON and time to eat lol

I swear that's like the kiss of death for someone trying to stave off hunger for whatever reason. When I'm tracking using apps, the moment I decide what I'm going to eat and put it in, my body realizes its GAME ON and time to eat lol
    This all seems like a weird obsession with food tracking to be honest (not you, just when people get distracted or pre-occupied by something MFP of all things)... I remember doing this before starting my ED recovery... always thinking about my next meal... always planning everything...

Haven't opened a tracking app in months now, and looking back I feel kind of silly for being so hooked on them. I mean let's be honest, the act of passing time by fiddling around with a food tracker is a bit neurotic and strange.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fiddling with mfp? Why?
    If I've been busy and not added my meals to MFP that day then I sometimes do it between sets. I mean if I'm going to do it at some point, I might as well do it during a 2 minute period where I'm doing nothing else. Otherwise I just search for songs to listen to if I'm bored of my current playlist.

This all seems like a weird obsession with food tracking to be honest (not you, just when people get distracted or pre-occupied by something MFP of all things)... I remember doing this before starting my ED recovery... always thinking about my next meal... always planning everything...

Haven't opened a tracking app in months now, and looking back I feel kind of silly for being so hooked on them. I mean let's be honest, the act of passing time by fiddling around with a food tracker is a bit neurotic and strange.
    No more strange than people texting, watching YouTube, checking emails or doing whatever else they do on their cellphones between sets to pass time, imo.
    Last edited by MrCarrot; 01-27-2020 at 02:13 PM.

If I've been busy and not added my meals to MFP that day then I sometimes do it between sets. Otherwise I just search for songs to listen to if I'm bored of my current playlist.
    Ah, gotcha.

Still too much work for me hehe

Right now, I think i've found the best and most sustainable balance for me... which is simply targeting a protein and a total calorie minimum, then if i'm still hungry, I eat small additional amounts later in the day until my hunger goes away.

Zero planning, tracking, or thought required beyond the brief consideration for getting 30g of protein or more each time I eat a 'normal' meal, if possible... sometimes 20-25g is fine tho, assuming I hit my daily total. And of course, any desserts or snacks are just whatever... I don't worry about the protein in my ice cream. heh

Ah, gotcha.

Right now, I think i've found the best and most sustainable balance for me... which is simply targeting a protein and a total calorie minimum, then if i'm still hungry, I eat small additional amounts later in the day until my hunger goes away.

Zero planning, tracking, or thought required beyond the brief consideration for getting 30g of protein or more each time I eat a 'normal' meal, if possible... sometimes 20-25g is fine tho, assuming I hit my daily total. And of course, any desserts or snacks are just whatever... I don't worry about the protein in my ice cream. heh
    Yeah, I don't think I really need to track now. I think it was useful when cutting and learning the calorific value of different foods. However it's second nature to me now, and I track my weight and lifts too, so it's just something I do now and kind of enjoy it in a weird way.

Ah, gotcha.

Probly because you know a estimate of the macros of food because so used to it

Mfp seems to be good for beginners such as myself I am starting my first cut ever and so far has helped me understand the macro alot more and makes it far easier to plan day

Yeah, I don't think I really need to track now. I think it was useful when cutting and learning the calorific value of different foods. However it's second nature to me now, and I track my weight and lifts too, so it's just something I do now and kind of enjoy it in a weird way.

No I hear you, and it's all about how you personally deal with it. If it's genuinely fun in some way, nothing wrong with it.

For me I just get too obsessed with it and it becomes kind of a compulsion, eventually stresses me out a lot.