LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder problems

I've had shoulder impingement in both shoulders for a year or so. I was training 6 days a week and 7 months ago I tore my bicep in the shoulder. I stupidly tried to train through it and tore my rotator cuff in the same shoulder. I started training again after 4 months after finding out the root cause (posture and overtraining), and am now lifting records again. I can now only manage 3 days a week because it takes Shoulders longer to recover, and my shoulders still feel sore, especially after workouts. I was wondering, should I be waiting months and months until the pain totally goes, or is it ok to train? My shoulders feel really strong again and injury free, it's just the soreness. Can it take months or years to totally go away?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What training are you doing for your shoulders?
    Did you have x-rays or an MRI to determine if you had any tears or arthritis?
    Yes the biceps attach at the top into the shoulder area.
    You may have scar tissue or other issues because of it but i am just speculating I'm not a medical professional.
    A physical therapist that works with athletes may be something you want to look into.
    It's never good to train into an unnatural pain.
    The shoulders/delts are a small area and don't need tons of volume.
    You may want to focus on more rear delt and upper back work for your posture.
    Good luck.

LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LeeDrury1978 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers for reply. Yes, I've had it confirmed that there was two tears, one in my bicep and the other rotator cuff. I was having PT but the guy was useless. I've been doing loads of rear delt work and lower trap work along with RC exercises and now feel as strong as ever. There is no pain when I train, and have cut out all exercises that cause pain. In fact training makes my shoulders feel better than if I just rest them. I was just wondering whether the pain (it's more a soreness now) can continue for months or even years after a bad injury? Or should I just stop training until there is no pain or soreness whatsoever. Cheers.

petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50) petahet will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LeeDrury1978 View Post
    Cheers for reply. Yes, I've had it confirmed that there was two tears, one in my bicep and the other rotator cuff. I was having PT but the guy was useless. I've been doing loads of rear delt work and lower trap work along with RC exercises and now feel as strong as ever. There is no pain when I train, and have cut out all exercises that cause pain. In fact training makes my shoulders feel better than if I just rest them. I was just wondering whether the pain (it's more a soreness now) can continue for months or even years after a bad injury? Or should I just stop training until there is no pain or soreness whatsoever. Cheers.
    FWIW I've been going to PT for my shoulders since labor day. It has helped a lot. I still have some pain (especially in the right shoulder which is lagging a bit) recently went back to training but using pretty light weights for now, need to rebuild my strength in both shoulders and arms. The key to recovery (besides time) seems to be stretching. You may want to consult with your DR or PT for some stretch exercises. Shoulders take time to recover. Be careful.

matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pain is tricky... especially when it is something like soreness.

GENERALLY SPEAKING

It sounds like the soreness you are dealing with is some kind of -itis condition aka arthritis, tendinitis, etc. The usual hallmark is movement and activity feel better but when the tissue gets cold again it is quite a bit more stiff and sore.

“Good pain” starts sore and feels better with movement, “bad pain” starts sore and gets worse with movement.

I would continue to train so long as the soreness does not progress in a negative way. I would focus on a slow tempo with your movements to avoid unwarranted irritation. In general, slow tempo heals tendons and fast breaks them down. Consider supplementing 15 g gelatin with 50 mg vitamin C before shoulder workouts. AND consider blood flow restriction exercises to get in an additional workout without the heavy load.
    In love with all things health and wellness.

Movement based Physical Therapist, here is what occupies my time and attention:

www.SportProUSA.com

www.MoveGrowThrive.com

tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000) tkdnj is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some tears can heal on their own depending how thick they are. Some will require surgery. What did the doctor say when he examined your MRI? Incidentally I had Rotator cuff surgery five years ago on my right shoulder, and will be having it on my left shoulder in a few weeks. I had in the right shoulder, and have now in the left shoulder, full thickness tears in the rotator cuff and torn bicep tendons in the shoulder. Good luck!
    Last edited by tkdnj; 02-05-2020 at 11:57 AM.

tekw0lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lee,

Hope you are doing well. I have to ask and please do not take my tone condescending.
    What kind of doc did you see? A general practitioner or a sports doc who specializes in shoulders? Did they do any repair on the bicep? Where was the bicep torn? Shoulder?

A rotator cuff cuff can heal on its own, a bicep will not, Hence my questions above.
    If you did in fact have a bicep tear at the shoulder, that is my guess where the pain is coming from. Unfortunately, from what I have heard and read (I am NO expert), the pain will not go away (you may just become accustomed to it).

My advise: Go see a sports doctor who specializes in shoulders. Get a MRI with contrast if needed and make sure that is the only damage.
    I was incorrectly diagnosed with a sprain from a general practitioner. Turns out (after the pain did not go away) I had two labrum tears (180 & 360 degrees), rotator cuff and a bicep tear.

Even when I had these issues, I could still lift, sometimes without pain. After though, ugh....

Yes it will be a pain to go see a doc, have the tests done.... But honestly, it will be worth it.

Just my 2 cents bro. Hope it all works out.