IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tips for first gym mock meet

Hi guys,

What would be some tips you could share with me in terms of participating in my first meet ever?

It will be held end of next month, it's just the local gym so nothing fancy or anything, but I am excited.

I am currently finishing 2nd cycle of Candito's 6 week program and am planning to start a 3rd cycle in a few days.

My lifts are not great by any means, but I have been very serious about my lifting and want to solely focus on powerlifting.

I find Candito's program to be very suitable to my needs (for now at least) so I am planning to run it for a few more cycles at least.
    Powerlifting 2020

IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000) IvanNorge is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone? Or is this part of the forum not very popular anymore?
    Powerlifting 2020

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If they have a set of rules for the lifts get to know them.
    I always had an opener lift that i could do a triple with.
    The next could be a max or near max depending on how your feeling and PR lift for your third.
    Again though go how your feeling and you should know with your warm ups.
    Ive seen many bomb out of a meet because they opened to heavy.
    I would warm up exactly how you would for your lifts as you do in the gym so know how much time you need to warm up for each lift.
    Relax as much as possible between attempts so you don't waste nervous energy.
    Number one have fun and enjoy the experience!

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    If they have a set of rules for the lifts get to know them.
    I always had an opener lift that i could do a triple with.
    The next could be a max or near max depending on how your feeling and PR lift for your third.
    Again though go how your feeling and you should know with your warm ups.
    Ive seen many bomb out of a meet because they opened to heavy.
    I would warm up exactly how you would for your lifts as you do in the gym so know how much time you need to warm up for each lift.
    Relax as much as possible between attempts so you don't waste nervous energy.
    Number one have fun and enjoy the experience!
    Thank you!

This is exactly what I've been hearing. To open with something that I know I can hit on any given day for 2-3 reps and then start challenging myself depending on how I am feeling that day.

What do you recommend eating? The meet starts 9 AM in the morning. I am usually up around 6 AM (walking my dog etc) and then I usually have breakfast around 7,30 - 8 AM on Saturdays.

Should I bring some energy drinks, protein bars, pre-workout etc?

I hear some people bring like homecooked meals?

Thanks!
    Powerlifting 2020

jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have the week off prior to meet, work up to your openers on last training day.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It would depend on if you have to keep your weight down to make a weight class and when they weigh you in.
    Some meets have a 24 hour prior weigh in other weigh in the day of the meet.
    If it doesn't matter eat a normal breakfast as you mentioned (6:00am)and have some snacks for the day.
    Protein bars,fruit,nuts,maybe a small sandwich or meal.
    I like to have a thermos of coffee to sip between lifts i guess energy drinks would be ok if you don't drink it all at once.
    I would not stuff myself but just satisfy any hunger.
    Really if you don't need to worry about weight have some pizza the day before.
    Good luck.

Thanks guys!

I do not have to worry about the weight, as I will end up in the 80-90 kg weight class (I am now 85).

The weigh-in will be the same day, 9AM and the meet will start at 9.30 or 10 AM.
    Powerlifting 2020

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jstarcarr View Post
    Have the week off prior to meet, work up to your openers on last training day.
    Cant agree with week off.
    Easy opener practice sure, but not hitting the lfits at all.. There's no possible reason that would be decent

Op eat what you normally do and being lots of favourite snacks for meet itself, it can be a while from first squat to last deadlift.
    Caffeine/pre as suits you, but remember if you pre for squats you'll not be up on deadlifts
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Easy opener practice sure, but not hitting the lfits at all.. There's no possible reason that would be decent

Op eat what you normally do and being lots of favourite snacks for meet itself, it can be a while from first squat to last deadlift.
    Caffeine/pre as suits you, but remember if you pre for squats you'll not be up on deadlifts
    Thanks!

I will be bringing some snacks and food to the meet, yes.

As the meet in on a Saturday, probably I will train until Wednesday that week in the 80-85 % range for the main lifts and then take the next 2 days completely off.

Is this a good plan?
    Powerlifting 2020

jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000) jstarcarr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post

It works for me, lets my CNS recover. Sometimes I don't need a full week, but at least 5 days.