Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Are the 2 consecutive days rests per week necessary for full body workouts?

Example is the SL 5x5 which is 3 times per week which will give you a 2 consecutive rest days per week and will give you around 13 workout days per month. How about I modify it to alternating days? 50:50 ratio which is workout day then rest day. It will give me 15 workout days per month and 15 rest days as well.

Registered User EricBodyBuilding28's Avatar
    EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) EricBodyBuilding28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Post 5×5 question

I would take at least 48 hour nutrition and rest recovery periods between heavy routines like this one. My best mass gains happened when I lifted heavy compounds twice a week and ate two grams of protein with three grams of carbohydrates per pound of body weight. A supplement that I would use that is authentic was VH Nutrition Long jack on rest days.

DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeepDishPlate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My $0.02 ... take the 2 rest days you can always do some cardio or sport or 'active recovery' or whatever on the weekend.

Early on at lower weights it's totally fine especially if you're new and excited to hit the gym but later at much higher weights (and trying to add 5 lbs to the bar every time in the gym) you will probably want the recovery time.

If you stick with it for the next 6-12 months solid I'm pretty sure the difference in 2x more per month would be minimal if you're already doing 3x/week heavy compounds.

AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, you get strong on your days off.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I find that during the 3 days of the workout week I do accumulate fatigue, and the two days of rest are then enough to dissipate it.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think it has more to do with an odd number of days in the week. With a novice routine like SL, the only real reason to have the two consecutive rest days is so you can establish a consistent routine and be more likely to stick with it long term. For most people, its easier to follow a routine if its always MWF.

For what its worth, I'm running SL right now. When I started in early December I was actually lifting every day because the weights were so light and I figured more reps meant I could really dial in my form. Around Christmas the weights were heavy enough that I switched to alternating days. I've recently been setting 5 rep PRs and/or failing sets so last week I switched to the MWF routine to give myself that extra rest day. It definitely helped my lifts this week.

The earlier replies likely have more experience than I do but me as a novice lifter, my advice would be to do whatever will keep you consistent and dont be afraid to modify around your circumstances, within reason.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Gleendel View Post
    Example is the SL 5x5 which is 3 times per week which will give you a 2 consecutive rest days per week and will give you around 13 workout days per month. How about I modify it to alternating days? 50:50 ratio which is workout day then rest day. It will give me 15 workout days per month and 15 rest days as well.
    I don't know what it's like to do the 5x5 protocol. I do a DUP type of set/rep/poundage scheme and take real do nothing rest days when the body needs it. Sometimes, it's one day and sometimes, it's more than one day, but more often than not, it's after the HEAVY day. Otherwise, my non weightlifting days are for short duration supramaximal repeats, different types of stretching and hybrid mobility exercises.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post assuming Mon - Wed - Fri, but the logic same with Tue - Thur - Sat etc etc

I agree with Elrond. Taking squat as example (because that's every session).. in my SL days that increase on a Friday felt worse than the Monday increase as I was more tired on Friday than Monday. Same when I progressed to programs that had weekly increments, it'd have been harder to increase on a Friday than Monday

MadCow, which is often the progression when you are thoroughly stalled out of SL (despite several deload/resets) has a nice trick. You increase on a Friday But less reps of that than you'll do it on the Monday (after you've had 2 days off) so you're getting an introduction and then the full dose when rested.

I think the difference of the two day rest only gets fully appreciated in SL once you start really struggling and in the: fail, repeat, fail, deload, succeed, increase stages of the program
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only you can answer that. If you are recovered train, if not, don’t.
    IG @ JustShaneinGa
    MFP @ dvldwninga

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Post assuming Mon - Wed - Fri, but the logic same with Tue - Thur - Sat etc etc

I agree with Elrond. Taking squat as example (because that's every session).. in my SL days that increase on a Friday felt worse than the Monday increase as I was more tired on Friday than Monday. Same when I progressed to programs that had weekly increments, it'd have been harder to increase on a Friday than Monday

MadCow, which is often the progression when you are thoroughly stalled out of SL (despite several deload/resets) has a nice trick. You increase on a Friday But less reps of that than you'll do it on the Monday (after you've had 2 days off) so you're getting an introduction and then the full dose when rested.

I think the difference of the two day rest only gets fully appreciated in SL once you start really struggling and in the: fail, repeat, fail, deload, succeed, increase stages of the program
    Thanks OFT. Yeah, I think Madcow is Da BOMB. (Do people still say that?) It's designed to take full advantage of the 3-day system.

BTW, mine is Sun-Tues-Thurs due to my work schedule. Once I retire I may change it.

Or not.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gleendel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Only you can answer that. If you are recovered train, if not, don’t.
    You’re right. I guess I’m not on my heaviest weight yet that’s why I can say this. Thanks everyone for your insights. I guess I’ll use the 2 days rest per week once I struggle on the weights.

randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) randomcrash is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For me i like every other day and then occassionally I'll take an extra day off if i don't feel well, had a rough day at work, family stuff, or maybe i just want to go home and do nothing (lol).

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not necessary, I do every other day. Resting 2 days is way too long for me, I only rest 2 days if life gets in the way.