YungSacca is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Will doing less sets affect cut?

Hi, I am a 23 yo female currently cutting from 140 lbs
    5 ft 5 inches
    1300 calories consumed daily
    130g protein daily
    16-8 Intermittent fasting

Currently Workout 5 days a week; 2 strength days and 3 hypertrophy days. (Have been working out for about 4 months now and have gained some nice lean mass). Moving forward I won't have as much time to dedicate to the gym and have found a 4 day program with two days for strength and two for hypertrophy that focuses on compound movements which are already in my current program. I would be omitting most isolation exercises with this one.

I currently do for eg 5x6 for squats on strength days and 5x10-12 on hypertrophy days but this new program shows that I'd be doing 4 sets instead of 5. My question is if reducing sets would affect my progress or cause me to lose muscle mass. I have been able to maintain all my lifts and still progressing on some.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    When cutting, muscle growth often slows or stops. So reducing total workload will make that more likely to happen.

Having said that, not many people experience much muscle growth when dieting - and simply maintaining muscle is much easier to do. So chances are that you'll be fine if you really need to reduce volume.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I routinely drop lifting volume when cutting - but keep the weight on the bar the same as long as possible. The goal during this phase is to maintain muscle, which requires less total volume than building muscle...if you can keep moving the same weight on the bar, and your diet is in check with adequate protein, you should be fine.

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    I routinely drop lifting volume when cutting - but keep the weight on the bar the same as long as possible. The goal during this phase is to maintain muscle, which requires less total volume than building muscle...if you can keep moving the same weight on the bar, and your diet is in check with adequate protein, you should be fine.
    I agree here as well. While you may not need the same volume, you definitely still want your body to send the biggest muscle building signals possible in a cut for retention purposes. Best way to do this is lift as heavy as possible for as long as possible.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lower volume but don’t lower intensity and definitely don’t go high rep. Don’t reduce weight just reduce volume to a level to where you can recover properly
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Lower volume but don’t lower intensity and definitely don’t go high rep. Don’t reduce weight just reduce volume to a level to where you can recover properly
    Made this mistake when I reached a low BF% and decided to take it lower. I was a muscle-losing machine.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Made this mistake when I reached a low BF% and decided to take it lower. I was a muscle-losing machine.
    yep you’re telling your body it doesn’t need to be strong anymore so it’s ok to eat the muscle as it would rather keep the fat.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yep you’re telling your body it doesn’t need to be strong anymore so it’s ok to eat the muscle as it would rather keep the fat.
    Its unfortunate that some people still believe, and some fitness "stars" still perpetuate the BS that low weight+high reps are for cutting and "toning"
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Its unfortunate that some people still believe, and some fitness "stars" still perpetuate the BS that low weight+high reps are for cutting and "toning"
    Haha whenever I hear the word TONE from a trainer it’s instant loss of cred
    And when someone wants to TONE instead of getting bulky it’s a big eye roller

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Compound that with not knowing anything about nutrition or workout programming, not knowing how many calories I WASNT eating, not knowing about macros, barely eating any carbs and fats to support the training, and being fully convinced you are doing things right. Boom, you had me. Ended up being a 6'1 129lb skeleton lmao

Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Compound that with not knowing anything about nutrition or workout programming, not knowing how many calories I WASNT eating, not knowing about macros, barely eating any carbs and fats to support the training, and being fully convinced you are doing things right. Boom, you had me. Ended up being a 6'1 129 lb skeleton lmao
    JFC 6-1 and 129 didn't you start seeing a problem?

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB